Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

So far, I'm impressed with the fit and finish of my ZR1....

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

So far, I'm impressed with the fit and finish of my ZR1....

 
Old 02-23-2019, 11:31 AM
  #1  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default So far, I'm impressed with the fit and finish of my ZR1....

I have gone all over my car and must say I'm very happy with it. I own a couple cars lots and have a pretty good body man that I had look at it also. My 16 Z06 was a mess. What are you guys thinking about yours??

Last edited by 2019 ZR1; 02-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.
2019 ZR1 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2019 ZR1 For This Useful Post:
DebRedZR1 (02-24-2019), dee zed (03-07-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:13 PM
  #2  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,410
Thanked 289 Times in 196 Posts
Default

My 2016 Z06 was near perfect but I don't anally measure body panel gaps nor did I use a magnifier to inspect every square inch of painted surface. There are trolls here who claim that their new C7s have a dozen or more glaring defects. Any reasonable car guy is going to call BS on this crap. then some of them claim that the dealers can't or won't fix all these terrible issues, once again, BS! Why did they pay for the car if it was that bad. I have noticed that the these haters always make reference in some way to "Porsche fit and finish".
punky is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 01:13 PM
  #3  
WELEPRO
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
WELEPRO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default

My very early production(#191) ‘15 Z06 was excellent in terms of quality, and my very late production(#1728) ZR1 is even better. Like Punky stated, I don’t agonize over every inch of the car...but if there were a significant issue it would not go unnoticed.

The new car runs, drives, and looks fantastic. Worth every penny.
WELEPRO is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WELEPRO For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-24-2019), Bwright (03-04-2019), dee zed (03-07-2019), duanesZ06 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 AM
  #4  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,721
Thanked 378 Times in 302 Posts
Default

The fit and finish were pretty good, my ZR1 and turbo s just got back for Esoteric, sent both for paint correction and complete wrap, the ZR1 glows, really pleased, will post pics soon.
hcvone is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hcvone For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-24-2019), Bwright (03-04-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 PM
  #5  
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports track supporter
Posts: 11,666
Thanked 145 Times in 116 Posts
Default

If anyone worries about the thousandths of inch gap from one side to the other on a panel while accelerating to the point of leaving a body impression in the seat back then perhaps the ZR1 is not the right vehicle for them. First of all, if you want to get a micrometer out to measure dimensions then an automobile is not the right investment for you...PERIOD!
SouthernSon is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SouthernSon For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-28-2019), Boeing7571 (03-03-2019), Bwright (03-04-2019), duanesZ06 (02-26-2019), Monkey D. Luffy (02-28-2019), Runnn (02-26-2019), sidewinder77 (03-03-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 PM
  #6  
duanesZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
duanesZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 289
Thanked 98 Times in 82 Posts
Default

This car stops traffic every time I drive it, some of the BS I have herd on here about the paint and panel fitment keeps me LOL.
duanesZ06 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duanesZ06 For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-28-2019), Bwright (03-04-2019), sidewinder77 (03-03-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:43 AM
  #7  
Glenn Quagmire
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Glenn Quagmire's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 2,016
Thanked 262 Times in 146 Posts
Default

No problems with mine!
Glenn Quagmire is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn Quagmire For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM
  #8  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,410
Thanked 289 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duanesz06 View Post
this car stops traffic every time i drive it, some of the bs i have herd on here about the paint and panel fitment keeps me lol.
exactly!
punky is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 PM
  #9  
bigblock427
CF Senior Member
 
bigblock427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Posts: 7,127
Thanked 574 Times in 520 Posts
Default

The paint, fit, and finish on my '14 coupe was very good. The paint on my WGG '19 GS is exceptional, but the fit of the body panels is not quite as good as my '14. It is pretty good, but not great.
bigblock427 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 AM
  #10  
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 17,012
Thanked 3,723 Times in 2,327 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15
Default

It's good to see some positive comments!
Steven Bell is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 PM
  #11  
Jack-TX
CF Member
 
Jack-TX's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Santa Fe Texas
Posts: 82
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Default

My 2019 ZR1 is very close to perfect, inside and out. Panel fitment, paint quality, carbon fiber weave, fit and finish are outstanding. The car is amazing to drive, and gets lots of attention.
Jack-TX is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack-TX For This Useful Post:
SouthernSon (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:16 PM
  #12  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 585
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by punky View Post
Sorry to hear that I am a "joke".

I merely question and call BS as many others here have on the guy who takes delivery of a new car that has what he calls at least a dozen glaring defects and proceeds to have shouting matches with a service manager over this stuff. Some guys have warranty issues as is seen with any new car at times and have them corrected without all the drama and need to bash GM and Corvette on this forum every day for 2 months. If I am a "joke" for not being on board with this guy and all his scores of issues that are wildly out of the norm then I guess you are right sir.
But that is exactly what has happened to me, do you want me to lie? I am now on my 8th dealer and they are also refusing to address these issues saying they will most likely either not be able to fix them or make something else worse.

my dashboard is off alignment. My dashboard where it meets the door is higher by 1/2”. On the other side of the dashboard, where it meets the LCD panel, there is a 1/4” gap where you have that long running bar that your passengers hold. The passenger side dash has a gap that is so big you can put your finger in it. My front bumper, front fenders, headlights, rear quarter, rear bumper, and side rockers all have alignment issues. Some have big gaps, some are not flush (i.e one panel sticks out), some are rubbing on one side and gap on another. These issues “cant be made up” or cant be the fault of the owner. Forgive me for not “inspecting” the car when it was presented to me inside the service bay parked against a wall where with low light and the fact that car is parked against a wall, these issues did not stand out.

and also forgive me for not thinking about these issues because in this day and age these types of panel alignment issues simply do not exist on any modern premium vehicle. I have NEVER had to inspect ANY vehicle I purchased this close because these issues simply dont happen in BMWs, Porsche, or Audi. AND even my $58,000 mustang do not exhibit these issues.

I guarantee you that if I personally highlighted the issues I have to other owners, a large portion of it will be like “oh damn... you are right” and another portion will be like “but thats why the car is cheap, this is part of owning a best bang for the buck” experience. Problem is these types of issues are culturally deep into this community such that people who are in their 5th, 6th, or 7th corvette accepted the car for what it is.

I guarantee you if Porsche built a car with these issues for 6 months, they would be out of business on month 7.

Lastly, the other side of the equation here is the customer service. Car itself in isolation is one part of the problem. The other part of the problem is everyone from the sales manager or service advisors to techs to even the customer service person who answers the 1-800 number line are not operating at a level a car that is worth $150,000 requires them to be. Chevrolet simply put have no business operating at this cost level. They have a long way ahead of them to truly become a premium brand with Corvette. I m certain they should make corvette be part of cadillac brand.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 03-04-2019 at 02:18 PM.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM
  #13  
vetteb_96C
CF Senior Member
 
vetteb_96C's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Michigan mi
Posts: 628
Thanked 140 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
But that is exactly what has happened to me, do you want me to lie? I am now on my 8th dealer and they are also refusing to address these issues saying they will most likely either not be able to fix them or make something else worse.

my dashboard is off alignment. My dashboard where it meets the door is higher by 1/2”. On the other side of the dashboard, where it meets the LCD panel, there is a 1/4” gap where you have that long running bar that your passengers hold. The passenger side dash has a gap that is so big you can put your finger in it. My front bumper, front fenders, headlights, rear quarter, rear bumper, and side rockers all have alignment issues. Some have big gaps, some are not flush (i.e one panel sticks out), some are rubbing on one side and gap on another. These issues “cant be made up” or cant be the fault of the owner. Forgive me for not “inspecting” the car when it was presented to me inside the service bay parked against a wall where with low light and the fact that car is parked against a wall, these issues did not stand out.

and also forgive me for not thinking about these issues because in this day and age these types of panel alignment issues simply do not exist on any modern premium vehicle. I have NEVER had to inspect ANY vehicle I purchased this close because these issues simply dont happen in BMWs, Porsche, or Audi. AND even my $58,000 mustang do not exhibit these issues.

I guarantee you that if I personally highlighted the issues I have to other owners, a large portion of it will be like “oh damn... you are right” and another portion will be like “but thats why the car is cheap, this is part of owning a best bang for the buck” experience. Problem is these types of issues are culturally deep into this community such that people who are in their 5th, 6th, or 7th corvette accepted the car for what it is.

I guarantee you if Porsche built a car with these issues for 6 months, they would be out of business on month 7.

Lastly, the other side of the equation here is the customer service. Car itself in isolation is one part of the problem. The other part of the problem is everyone from the sales manager or service advisors to techs to even the customer service person who answers the 1-800 number line are not operating at a level a car that is worth $150,000 requires them to be. Chevrolet simply put have no business operating at this cost level. They have a long way ahead of them to truly become a premium brand with Corvette. I m certain they should make corvette be part of cadillac brand.
Not sure how your dealer let it go like that. My dealer looked mine over with me and found a blemish in the splitter end plate that was the size of a pencil point. He got on the phone and had it replaced. I didn't even see it. Sorry you are having issues with your car.
vetteb_96C is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM
  #14  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 585
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C View Post
Not sure how your dealer let it go like that. My dealer looked mine over with me and found a blemish in the splitter end plate that was the size of a pencil point. He got on the phone and had it replaced. I didn't even see it. Sorry you are having issues with your car.
I have been paying closer attention to the corvettes I see in person or online in videos (ZR1s mainly) and these issues I have are very common. The issue with the front bumper/front fender/headight alignment is on every ZR1. Its because of the way bumper’s mold is made. Their measurements are off.

The issue with rear quarter panel is a hit or miss but I have seen it 50% of the Z06s I have seen.

The issue with the dashbord is also common across the board. In fact some online videos make fun of that corner of dashboard sticking out.

- I tried selling the car. The best offer was 20k under MSRP (when it had 20 miles). This being a corvette it doesnt really hold its value.

- I can try to get a lawyer, but the lawyer will still cost me $5000-10000 easily based on my research.

This is like literally being “tricked” and getting “stuck” with this car.

I compare it with porsche because GM does! They advertise this car to be a true GT3/RS competitor. When in Z06 development, they made numerous references about them having their own GT3 to compare the cars back to back. They have also made numerous comparisons with the interior being Porsche level and seats being made by the same company making Porsche seats or new designers being hired who worked on european cars. These are all things that were mentioned in magazine articles.

They cannot simply say on one hand we are competing with Porsche and we did X and we did Y and on another when push comes to shove, get out of it with “oh but its only a chevy and its best bang for the buck” so you need to be OK with it.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM
  #15  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,410
Thanked 289 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C View Post
Not sure how your dealer let it go like that. My dealer looked mine over with me and found a blemish in the splitter end plate that was the size of a pencil point. He got on the phone and had it replaced. I didn't even see it. Sorry you are having issues with your car.
Our Cadillac dealer saw a very slight imperfection on the fuel door when I was taking delivery of the vehicle and ordered a new one. No drama, no arguing, no need for a shouting match with a service manager. Still calling BS on the guy with a dozen or more glaring problems that EIGHT dealerships refuse to address. Maybe I was dropped on my head.
punky is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 PM
  #16  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 585
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SouthernSon View Post
UE, did you say you were going to post pictures??
Yes, have been pretty busy with real life stuff last 3 weeks. I want to do a proper post with details to clear up the air. I am also working on a video to show the squeaky sound that comes on when the car is new.

On that note, my neighbor who is a cadillac fan (has 2 escalades, a corvette, and some other smaller chevy) ran up to me a few weeks ago in pure joy as I was pulling out of my driveway to complement me on the car. You know what the next thing he told me was after the first few minutes of WOW factor wore off? “Might want to get that belt checked out, sounds like you need a new belt, I heard its a common issue”. Thats just not right, I’m sorry. You guys can say whatever and the belt can be a small fix or a big one. Thats secondary.

I should not say never but I will never buy another GM car even if the new C8 has wings and does time travel aka back to the future. I dont even know what to do with this car anymore. The customer service is just useless or beyond useless. They have a 3 day turnaround time and they are less powerful over the dealer than me.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 03-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM
  #17  
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 17,012
Thanked 3,723 Times in 2,327 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15
Default

This thread has turned into one big personal attack. Let's get back on topic or we'll just close the thread.
Steven Bell is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM
  #18  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,721
Thanked 378 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
I have been paying closer attention to the corvettes I see in person or online in videos (ZR1s mainly) and these issues I have are very common. The issue with the front bumper/front fender/headight alignment is on every ZR1. Its because of the way bumper’s mold is made. Their measurements are off.

The issue with rear quarter panel is a hit or miss but I have seen it 50% of the Z06s I have seen.

The issue with the dashbord is also common across the board. In fact some online videos make fun of that corner of dashboard sticking out.

- I tried selling the car. The best offer was 20k under MSRP (when it had 20 miles). This being a corvette it doesnt really hold its value.

- I can try to get a lawyer, but the lawyer will still cost me $5000-10000 easily based on my research.

This is like literally being “tricked” and getting “stuck” with this car.

I compare it with porsche because GM does! They advertise this car to be a true GT3/RS competitor. When in Z06 development, they made numerous references about them having their own GT3 to compare the cars back to back. They have also made numerous comparisons with the interior being Porsche level and seats being made by the same company making Porsche seats or new designers being hired who worked on european cars. These are all things that were mentioned in magazine articles.

They cannot simply say on one hand we are competing with Porsche and we did X and we did Y and on another when push comes to shove, get out of it with “oh but its only a chevy and its best bang for the buck” so you need to be OK with it.
I can compare the two, they sit in my garage. The Corvette used to be WAY behind the Porsche in fit and finish, on my 13th Corvette, and my 4th Porsche, but come 2018 and the gap is much smaller, at least on what is in my garage.



hcvone is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hcvone For This Useful Post:
dee zed (03-07-2019), orclubduck (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:37 AM
  #19  
orclubduck
Junior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 17
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Given your vast experience with both brands and your profession...I really value your contribution to this thread, hcvone.

Any ZR1 owner that has their car paint corrected and wrapped has a great deal of data to share, as the detailers are more than paying attention. For my ZR1, I am going to have the Orange Peel fixed before the Full Body Wrap and can't wait to see the results!!

Last edited by orclubduck; 03-07-2019 at 05:01 PM.
orclubduck is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to orclubduck For This Useful Post:
hcvone (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 04:54 PM
  #20  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,721
Thanked 378 Times in 302 Posts
Default




hcvone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: