Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

ZR1 MSRP cheaper in Canada, if you can find one?

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 MSRP cheaper in Canada, if you can find one?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Pizz
CF Senior Member

Default ZR1 MSRP cheaper in Canada, if you can find one?

I sold my Z06 last fall to spend the winter focusing on buying a ZR1 in Canada. Through the process of trying to buy one, I have found 2 differences in the ZR1 markets in the US and Canada, and thought I'd should share them here:

1) A new ZR1 is harder to find in Canada:
I have monitored the Canadian Autotrader site and even contacted the dealers who show up as having a car for sale on the 2019 Corvette ZR1 registry:
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...rvette-zr1.php
No results so far. There have been a couple available, but not what I was looking for (they were 1ZR or didn't have ZTK)

A similar search of the US Autotrader site lists over 100 new ZR1's for sale:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

2) Canadian MSRP for a ZR1 is significantly less than the American MSRP:
I built the same ZR1 on the US and Canadian Chevrolet websites and found a significant difference in pricing. I built a 3ZR with ZTK, A8 and competition seats, black on black with black wheels, on both sites. The US site MSRP was ~$142,000 USD ($184,000 CAD) and the Canadian site was ~$126,000 USD ($163,000 CAD) for the same car, using currency exchange of 1.3 CAD to USD. I guess this only matters if I could find one here. I'd understand this price difference if the USD/CAD exchange rate had taken a sudden leap from 1.1 to 1.3, but the Canadian dollar has been trading around/above 1.3 since 2015.

With spring around the corner, I might just have to go buy another new Z06/Z07 (there are lots of those around) and see what Chevy does for 2020....

Last edited by Pizz; 03-09-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-05-2019, 05:30 PM
JBHunter
CF Senior Member

The Canadian Dollar...Loonie is discount to the US Dollar...meaning equal goods made in America and sold in Canada should be higher priced in Canadian Dollars...A trip to a Chevy Store with one in stock, and a quick photo of the MSRP Sticker should tell us all...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Questar
CF Senior Member

Up until 2013 the Corvettes priced in Canada were higher than US and many Canadians were importing Corvettes from the US and taking advantage of this pricing imbalance. When the 2014 C7’s first were released GM Canada priced the car based on the then “par” currency exchange rate and intending to discourage the grey market US to Canada imports.

But... currency soon moved and continued to shift... ending where we are now (currently @ 1.33 exchange rate)... yet Canadian MSRP has not adjusted in accordance... so it’s now nearly $20,000 cheaper for us in Canada to buy a loaded C7 or CTS-V. Canadian cars can easily be shipped back to the US for a profit.

GM partially controls this by severely limiting the number of these vehicles it ships to Canada for sale. Of the estimated 2,000 unit production of 2019 ZR1’s forecast, GM originally stated that only about 60-80 units would be offered in a Canada... far short of the normal 10% allocation. The same situation occurred for the Z06 in the first two years... in Canada they were nearly impossible to buy. Not until the 2017 model year did we start to see them available in Canada, and only after US inventories were sitting unsold.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Rob P
CF Senior Member

mine loaded to the **** with the dual roof option came to 172K Canadian MSRP. ZTK Sebring orange fully optioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob P For This Useful Post:
JBHunter (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Questar
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
mine loaded to the **** with the dual roof option came to 172K Canadian MSRP. ZTK Sebring orange fully optioned.
Mine was the same... $172,000 Canadian dollars = $128,656.23 US dollars at today’s exchange rate.

That’s over $20,000 US dollars less than what same car sells for in the US.

Last edited by Questar; 03-05-2019 at 10:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Questar For This Useful Post:
JBHunter (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Pizz
CF Senior Member

Rob P and Questar, congrats on getting Canadian allocations! I think I needed to be in the market a year ago to get one here.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 AM
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member

The Canadian pricing is a “steal” and should be a huge incentive for anyone sitting on the fence about getting one even “close” to MSRP IMO.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: