C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Ford GT vs ZR1 1/2 Mile

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

Let’s look what happened when the cars were tested for their intended purpose by a 3rd party impartial entity. OMG .. the Ford GT loses to the ZR1 despite costing 3x as much. Tsk tsk tsk
Why don’t you post videos of you beating other cars in the 1/4 mile or road racing instead of picture from a magazine?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

A sidenote to the race. The Ford GT is a phenomenal car. I don’t mean to discredit it for that. Ford deserves praise for conceiving it. But after that Multimatic Inc, of Markham, Canada, the experienced race car builder, developed and built it. Both the race version and the street version. Its Ecoboost V6 engine (high performance) was developed over a few year period earlier by Chip Gnassi’s IMSA prototype team. I hope the next time Ford brings a supercar to market with its badge on it, it’s really a Ford product.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rinaldo Catria:
duanesZ06 (03-08-2019), NW-99SS (03-07-2019), Repo Pilot (03-24-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:52 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

The plethora of excuses is absurd and to purport all of the races on that channel to be staged is desperation. The 2nd race it was very clear that no amount of 'driver mod' would have prevented that GT from summarily walking away from that ZR1.

But, but but... cost.. Oh, but, but on VIR.... Whatever makes you feel better, but the FGT was unequivocally faster in a straight line.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

. Lets just say he knows how to pick his fights. And it brings a whole new meaning to the word “staged” in drag racing.
This x 1,000,000. I honestly find his "races" laughable for how they stack the deck against the competition. Complete joke and so obvious.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Does plethora now equal 3?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM
FikseGTS
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 18 Posts

It's always interesting to see people quote magazines to brag or defend their car, especially lap times where the tests were often done at different times, different weather, different drivers and so on.... you can see how a slight error or few degrees in cooler weather can effect a race in just a 1/4 mile, now compound that over a couple minutes in different conditions and drivers around a track and it's pretty easy to see that unless you have both cars racing the same day, it's meaningless for cars that are close in performance...

If you look at all of the ZR1 and GT traps that day, the GT was always higher.... as for staging the the races, that's just hater talk... you can hear me in the video offering to try again, even did the roll race since the ZR1 had trouble off the line, and then offered to race again the next day if he could find the tool to get the wing off...

Last edited by FikseGTS; 03-06-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Just imagine what my slow 911 would do to your car. But unlike some of you I know my car is not fast at all.
My Cadillac, RX350, or the C7 Z06 that I sold not too long ago?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by FikseGTS
It's always interesting to see people quote magazines to brag or defend their car, especially lap times where the tests were often done at different times, different weather, different drivers and so on.... you can see how a slight error or few degrees in cooler weather can effect a race in just a 1/4 mile, now compound that over a couple minutes in different conditions and drivers around a track and it's pretty easy to see that unless you have both cars racing the same day, it's meaningless for cars that are close in performance...

If you look at all of the ZR1 and GT traps that day, the GT was always higher.... as for staging the the races, that's just hater talk... you can hear me in the video offering to try again, even did the roll race since the ZR1 had trouble off the line, and then offered to race again the next day if he could find the tool to get the wing off...
... you have a fast beautiful car. Races like this would have more credibility if things like what fuel was in each car and how much of it, who was driving and what experience he has with the car, what tires were on the car and what condition they were in and the air pressure. Just saying with a little more effort your demo could have more credibility.
The following users liked this post:
sidewinder77 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Just imagine what my slow 911 would do to your car. But unlike some of you I know my car is not fast at all.
911 owners always struggle w physics..... I guess that’s the natural result of having your engine in the wrong spot!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
My Cadillac, RX350, or the C7 Z06 that I sold not too long ago?
Like I previously said.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 PM
FikseGTS
Instructor

thanks, but as per your comments I staged everything so why would that matter.... I could put you in the drivers seat and you would say I fouled the plugs and put 87 octane in the tank...

... you have a fast beautiful car. Races like this would have more credibility if things like what fuel was in each car and how much of it, who was driving and what experience he has with the car, what tires were on the car and what condition they were in and the air pressure. Just saying with a little more effort your demo could have more credibility.

Last edited by FikseGTS; 03-06-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

thanks, but as per your comments I staged everything so why would that matter.... I could put you in the drivers seat and you would say I fouled the plugs and put 87 octane in the tank...
. Curious. Were both cars running 100 octane or 93 octane? Were they both on similar rubber.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Well, I can tell others on this forum from first hand experience what it is like to do a hit from 0-130 mph in a Ford GT. I've done the 1/2 mile events with Omega Motorsports in my mildly modified Viper that maxes out at 160 mph at the 1/2 mile mark. My friend just got his Ford GT this last December and met at Thunderhill last January to ride along in my Vette on the track and cruise his FGT since the weather was great that weekend. We took his car to lunch with him driving and me as passenger. We did a quick blast from near standstill to about 130 mph and my jaw dropped at the way the car accelerated to speed. I was not expecting it to be as quick as it was. I don't know if it was the DCT, the mid engine weight balance or the suspension set up (probably a combination of all three), but I honestly felt his car was faster than my Viper, especially from the 0 to 80 mph mark where my car is hunting for traction and not feeling anywhere as stable as his FGT. The DCT is a huge unfair advantage....holy crap that thing shifts so good...makes the car feel like it has an electric motor. Prior to the new FGT, my friend had a 2005 FGT with 800 rwhp and his new Ford GT felt faster to 130 mph...it just hooks up and goes where the older car was much harder to get a good launch in.

It is a freaking race car with a license, not a street car made to go fast. I was surprised at how loud and rough the ride was (even with the suspension in the most "comfort" setting). If you're cruising with a buddy, you'd better like him cause your shoulders will be touching. Looking in the side rear view mirrors gives you the coolest view of being able to see thought the flying buttress bodywork....very cool. And the exterior is like nothing else.....total camera magnet not matter where you go. It was a very good day to be a car guy!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

The ford gt does not beat an A8 ZR1 in any trim unless there is a traction issue for the ZR1. Just doesn't. Lwt hin line up against someone that knows how to run their car and see what happens.

A stock Z06 is door to door in the quarter mile with the Ford gt and has run faster numerous times that Brooks gt jist not around him. Like I said. He knows how to pick em. Good for him
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
Bwright (03-07-2019), sidewinder77 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
The ford gt does not beat an A8 ZR1 in any trim unless there is a traction issue for the ZR1. Just doesn't. Lwt hin line up against someone that knows how to run their car and see what happens.

A stock Z06 is door to door in the quarter mile with the Ford gt and has run faster numerous times that Brooks gt jist not around him. Like I said. He knows how to pick em. Good for him
Race track vs real world traction brings out the best in some cars and the worst in others. I haven't read this thread that closely, but what were the rear tire pressures of the ZR1?......did the owner actually know how to launch something with 755 hp? To me the race was lost in the first 1/8 mile....you would need about 900 hp to overcome that deficit. The way the new FGT puts power down has to be experienced.....it was impressive. I would think that with experienced drivers on a prepped launch pad, the Vettes would be quicker to the 1/4 mile. But on a non prepped surface or on the street, don't bet against the new FGT even though it doesn't have the highest horsepower figures out there.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

I know you made an offer to remove the wing from the ZR1 to see what that would do but there was no torx socket to do it. Wondering why you didn’t just offer to raise the wing on the GT with the button on the console?
The following users liked this post:
Bwright (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Guaranteed the ZR1 was on Pump gas... and pulling timing.

PLEASE if you plan to go to a HIGH SPEED EVENT... spend $8 a gallon and fill up with 100 octane! Results will be significantly different!

Best Regards,
Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Schotz:
DebRedZR1 (03-07-2019), Glenn Quagmire (03-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Ford GT vs ZR1 1/2 Mile

Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Guaranteed the ZR1 was on Pump gas... and pulling timing.

PLEASE if you plan to go to a HIGH SPEED EVENT... spend $8 a gallon and fill up with 100 octane! Results will be significantly different!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
The worst prepared ZR1 owners of all time.. idk how he finds them but they

-constantly use the paddles instead of putting it back into drive on roll races after starting manual mode in the right gear

-Never use launch control CORRECTLY

-and love decals stickers and do dad's lol.

Embarrassing. And it's ALL on the driver here (just like at the drag strip video)
I Agree. I prefer the GT versus the 720S.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM
FikseGTS
Instructor

that's a good point, I regret not making any passes with the wing up to see the difference...

I know you made an offer to remove the wing from the ZR1 to see what that would do but there was no torx socket to do it. Wondering why you didn’t just offer to raise the wing on the GT with the button on the console?

Quick Reply: Ford GT vs ZR1 1/2 Mile