C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Pictures of paint defects

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

OP, apologies for getting sidetracked above- sometimes things are just begging to be done.

I do hope you get your issues settled to your satisfaction. Best of luck.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:31 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I have an orange one too, but mine was really good, I mean the ZR1 hood emblems were put on by someone not looking, a two year old could have put them on straighter, but was having the paint corrected and full wrap, so the emblems were coming off anyway, so GM just gave me the new ones to be put on this time correctly, and they were. My car came back from Esoteric Detailing and it looks fantastic, could not be more pleased with how the paint looks now
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.

There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
The problem being, the hoods are serialized with a tag on the passenger side. If you get a replacement hood, which you most likely will not, a non-numbers-matching hood will devalue the vehicle, warranty replacement or not. If you have a repaint, regardless of the quality of the work, it will also reduce the future value because most appraisers and people will assume the car was in an accident. Rinaldo is right, there is no such thing as a perfect paint job, however, there are limits to "commercially acceptable" production standards. This vehicle does not even meet the Bowling Green plant's QA standards. Your hood appears to have extreme orange peel and "wavey" paint in the photos. I am currently searching for someone competent in my geographic area to wet sand my hood and correct the clear coat defects. This will do nothing to correct the color and metallic mismatch, or the underlying sander grooves in the substrate of my ZR1 hood. Nor will it correct the panel dent in the hatch. I suggest, as I have done, for you to contact the dealership's GM annointed "Customer Satisfaction Representative" to formulate a written plan to address the warranty problems. Document, document and document every contact and result of the contact. Although some would recommend you simply accept your fate, I doubt many of them would actually do the same if it happened to their Corvette. I feel you will do yourself a disservice if you do nothing to correct the problems.
The following users liked this post:
orclubduck (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
OP, apologies for getting sidetracked above- sometimes things are just begging to be done.

I do hope you get your issues settled to your satisfaction. Best of luck.
Off point. Funny and so very true. I do not encourage you to continue or you will certainly endure "his" wrath. LOL.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

The hood pics look like it might be able to sand and buff but you would have no peel there. Can't see the spot on the rear.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Off point. Funny and so very true. I do not encourage you to continue or you will certainly endure "his" wrath. LOL.
LOL, I get the feeling that Punky and I are not destined to become close buddies. Enjoy your ZR1.
The following users liked this post:
ROBWILKER (03-09-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.

There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
I had a number of paint issues on my 2017 Z06, almost nothing on my ZR1...just a little something on the hood and a little spec in the lower front fascia that was easily corrected before putting on PPF...mind you, both issues would only be noticed by a maniac like me anyway, but it’s still worth mentioning.
With regard to you not wanting to go to a local dealer etc...I buy all my Vettes from Mike Furman, when I had the issue with the Z06, he and more importantly a local NY Dealer took great care of me and there was no issue with me not purchasing the car from them. Quite frankly I wouldn’t have tolerated it but thankfully there wasn’t an issue.
I did email Mary Barra so that could have had something to do with it
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't see any flaws in any of those pictures. Arrows or something are needed. Regardless... I get that the car is 150k but they get the same paint as a base model that sells in the mid 40's. If you want the level of paint of Ferrari and the like you aren't touching that at 150 grand. I still think the best way for GM to address this issue is to have a custom paint option and if buyers really want perfect they can select a costly option and they can hand spray / cut and buff those cars out which will set expectations properly
Old 03-11-2019, 11:25 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
LOL!

Here's Punky behind the keyboard raging on-

And here's Punky in real life-

It seems as if this is the stupidity that one who expresses his satisfaction with the Corvettes that he has owned is now faced with. Kinda like the guy who gets rocks thrown through the windows of his home for flying an American flag. Beautiful Pal.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I don't see any flaws in any of those pictures. Arrows or something are needed. Regardless... I get that the car is 150k but they get the same paint as a base model that sells in the mid 40's. If you want the level of paint of Ferrari and the like you aren't touching that at 150 grand. I still think the best way for GM to address this issue is to have a custom paint option and if buyers really want perfect they can select a costly option and they can hand spray / cut and buff those cars out which will set expectations properly
FWIW, don't use Ferrari as the paragon of great paint. The internet is littered with new Ferrari "paint correction" stories.
Aston Martin is the poster child for GREAT paint from the factory.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:03 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

That spot on the hood is bad... I cannot see the rest w/o arrows. I would not let the dealer paint that color... a metallic orange will be hard to match. To whomever said just keep painting until they get it right... yeah no... you don't wan 3/4/5/6 layers of paint/clear on your panels and GM isn't going to spring for new panels and repeated repaints.

People see all too accepting of this stuff "Oh it's just a Chevy" stuff... it's a $140K Chevy that you worked a long time for.

EDIT - What I thought was a fish eye on the hood is the reflection of your garage light. I cannot see any defects in these pictures. Not saying they aren't there, but I cannot see any.

SMC and carbon panels will have some waviness... they will never be as flat as metal.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 03-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That spot on the hood is bad... I cannot see the rest w/o arrows. I would not let the dealer paint that color... a metallic orange will be hard to match. To whomever said just keep painting until they get it right... yeah no... you don't wan 3/4/5/6 layers of paint/clear on your panels and GM isn't going to spring for new panels and repeated repaints.

People see all too accepting of this stuff "Oh it's just a Chevy" stuff... it's a $140K Chevy that you worked a long time for.

EDIT - What I thought was a fish eye on the hood is the reflection of your garage light. I cannot see any defects in these pictures. Not saying they aren't there, but I cannot see any.

SMC and carbon panels will have some waviness... they will never be as flat as metal.
The hood defect is right below the bottom garage light. It appears as a sideways "V".

I will try to upload the pics with some arrows and/or circles.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.
You hit the nail with the hammer on this one, it’s beyond true! I honestly have no idea how to get out of this car without losing my butt. Super sad as this has been my dream car for a long time... I just don’t have time or energy anymore for my poor ZR1. It needs to go back to the dealership for X,Y, Z and that’s just to fix Bowling Green related issues.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 03-24-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:21 PM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

pm sent

Quick Reply: Pictures of paint defects