Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Pictures of paint defects

 
Old 03-09-2019, 12:05 AM
  #21  
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 8,591
Thanked 382 Times in 272 Posts
Default

OP, apologies for getting sidetracked above- sometimes things are just begging to be done.

I do hope you get your issues settled to your satisfaction. Best of luck.
Les is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:31 AM
  #22  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,721
Thanked 378 Times in 302 Posts
Default

I have an orange one too, but mine was really good, I mean the ZR1 hood emblems were put on by someone not looking, a two year old could have put them on straighter, but was having the paint corrected and full wrap, so the emblems were coming off anyway, so GM just gave me the new ones to be put on this time correctly, and they were. My car came back from Esoteric Detailing and it looks fantastic, could not be more pleased with how the paint looks now
hcvone is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
  #23  
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ROBWILKER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 298
Thanked 97 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06 View Post
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.



There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
The problem being, the hoods are serialized with a tag on the passenger side. If you get a replacement hood, which you most likely will not, a non-numbers-matching hood will devalue the vehicle, warranty replacement or not. If you have a repaint, regardless of the quality of the work, it will also reduce the future value because most appraisers and people will assume the car was in an accident. Rinaldo is right, there is no such thing as a perfect paint job, however, there are limits to "commercially acceptable" production standards. This vehicle does not even meet the Bowling Green plant's QA standards. Your hood appears to have extreme orange peel and "wavey" paint in the photos. I am currently searching for someone competent in my geographic area to wet sand my hood and correct the clear coat defects. This will do nothing to correct the color and metallic mismatch, or the underlying sander grooves in the substrate of my ZR1 hood. Nor will it correct the panel dent in the hatch. I suggest, as I have done, for you to contact the dealership's GM annointed "Customer Satisfaction Representative" to formulate a written plan to address the warranty problems. Document, document and document every contact and result of the contact. Although some would recommend you simply accept your fate, I doubt many of them would actually do the same if it happened to their Corvette. I feel you will do yourself a disservice if you do nothing to correct the problems.
ROBWILKER is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ROBWILKER For This Useful Post:
orclubduck (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM
  #24  
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ROBWILKER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 298
Thanked 97 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Les View Post
OP, apologies for getting sidetracked above- sometimes things are just begging to be done.

I do hope you get your issues settled to your satisfaction. Best of luck.
Off point. Funny and so very true. I do not encourage you to continue or you will certainly endure "his" wrath. LOL.
ROBWILKER is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM
  #25  
carsnpars
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Default

The hood pics look like it might be able to sand and buff but you would have no peel there. Can't see the spot on the rear.
carsnpars is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:49 PM
  #26  
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 8,591
Thanked 382 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER View Post
Off point. Funny and so very true. I do not encourage you to continue or you will certainly endure "his" wrath. LOL.
LOL, I get the feeling that Punky and I are not destined to become close buddies. Enjoy your ZR1.
Les is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Les For This Useful Post:
ROBWILKER (03-09-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 PM
  #27  
Nyvetteguy007
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nyvetteguy007's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Westchester County New York
Posts: 2,812
Thanked 163 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06 View Post
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.



There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
I had a number of paint issues on my 2017 Z06, almost nothing on my ZR1...just a little something on the hood and a little spec in the lower front fascia that was easily corrected before putting on PPF...mind you, both issues would only be noticed by a maniac like me anyway, but itís still worth mentioning.
With regard to you not wanting to go to a local dealer etc...I buy all my Vettes from Mike Furman, when I had the issue with the Z06, he and more importantly a local NY Dealer took great care of me and there was no issue with me not purchasing the car from them. Quite frankly I wouldnít have tolerated it but thankfully there wasnít an issue.
I did email Mary Barra so that could have had something to do with it
Nyvetteguy007 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
  #28  
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Tallahassee fl
Posts: 1,323
Thanked 104 Times in 67 Posts
Default

I don't see any flaws in any of those pictures. Arrows or something are needed. Regardless... I get that the car is 150k but they get the same paint as a base model that sells in the mid 40's. If you want the level of paint of Ferrari and the like you aren't touching that at 150 grand. I still think the best way for GM to address this issue is to have a custom paint option and if buyers really want perfect they can select a costly option and they can hand spray / cut and buff those cars out which will set expectations properly
vetteLT193 is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 11:25 AM
  #29  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,410
Thanked 289 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Les View Post
LOL!

Here's Punky behind the keyboard raging on-



And here's Punky in real life-


It seems as if this is the stupidity that one who expresses his satisfaction with the Corvettes that he has owned is now faced with. Kinda like the guy who gets rocks thrown through the windows of his home for flying an American flag. Beautiful Pal.
punky is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
  #30  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,767
Thanked 1,002 Times in 548 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vetteLT193 View Post
I don't see any flaws in any of those pictures. Arrows or something are needed. Regardless... I get that the car is 150k but they get the same paint as a base model that sells in the mid 40's. If you want the level of paint of Ferrari and the like you aren't touching that at 150 grand. I still think the best way for GM to address this issue is to have a custom paint option and if buyers really want perfect they can select a costly option and they can hand spray / cut and buff those cars out which will set expectations properly
FWIW, don't use Ferrari as the paragon of great paint. The internet is littered with new Ferrari "paint correction" stories.
Aston Martin is the poster child for GREAT paint from the factory.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:03 PM
  #31  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 4,759
Thanked 777 Times in 494 Posts
Default

That spot on the hood is bad... I cannot see the rest w/o arrows. I would not let the dealer paint that color... a metallic orange will be hard to match. To whomever said just keep painting until they get it right... yeah no... you don't wan 3/4/5/6 layers of paint/clear on your panels and GM isn't going to spring for new panels and repeated repaints.

People see all too accepting of this stuff "Oh it's just a Chevy" stuff... it's a $140K Chevy that you worked a long time for.

EDIT - What I thought was a fish eye on the hood is the reflection of your garage light. I cannot see any defects in these pictures. Not saying they aren't there, but I cannot see any.

SMC and carbon panels will have some waviness... they will never be as flat as metal.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 03-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM
  #32  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
That spot on the hood is bad... I cannot see the rest w/o arrows. I would not let the dealer paint that color... a metallic orange will be hard to match. To whomever said just keep painting until they get it right... yeah no... you don't wan 3/4/5/6 layers of paint/clear on your panels and GM isn't going to spring for new panels and repeated repaints.

People see all too accepting of this stuff "Oh it's just a Chevy" stuff... it's a $140K Chevy that you worked a long time for.

EDIT - What I thought was a fish eye on the hood is the reflection of your garage light. I cannot see any defects in these pictures. Not saying they aren't there, but I cannot see any.

SMC and carbon panels will have some waviness... they will never be as flat as metal.
The hood defect is right below the bottom garage light. It appears as a sideways "V".

I will try to upload the pics with some arrows and/or circles.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM
  #33  
SilveradoSS500
CF Senior Member
 
SilveradoSS500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 658
Thanked 75 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.
You hit the nail with the hammer on this one, itís beyond true! I honestly have no idea how to get out of this car without losing my butt. Super sad as this has been my dream car for a long time... I just donít have time or energy anymore for my poor ZR1. It needs to go back to the dealership for X,Y, Z and thatís just to fix Bowling Green related issues.
SilveradoSS500 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:21 PM
  #34  
HMDS
CF Senior Member
 
HMDS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Posts: 131
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Default

pm sent
HMDS is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: