C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Pictures of paint defects

Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pictures of paint defects

Old 03-07-2019, 07:31 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

This is a follow-up to an earlier thread regarding paint defects I have noticed on my car that I picked up new from the Corvette Museum.

The hood defect can be seen in the first photo. It almost appears like a "V" shape in the paint. There's another hood paint defect near the end by the windshield. Appears like a raised ridge.

The rear bumper defect is to the left of the emblem and it looks like a ripple or dent in the paint. It's probably the most obvious one when seen in person.

These dimples or ripples in the paint are noticeable at certain angles and lighting. They almost appear like dents but the surface feels smooth. Only the one on the hood feels ever so slightly raised. I am wondering if it is some type of clearcoat defect.

I am against the idea of having the dealership repaint the panels since the car is brand new. Perhaps I should just accept them as is? It makes me feel kind of sad that these paint blemishes exist, especially on a $150k car that I worked hard for.

What would you guys do? Also, can anyone with expertise on paint or bodywork explain what these blemishes are and what caused them?

Last edited by CaddyJimz06; 03-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't see a single defect in any of these pictures... No explanation either... Can you point them out with an arrow or at least describe what you are seeing?

EDIT: Sorry, looks like you were writing your explanation in a separate post as I was writing my reply

Last edited by HTXSkydiver; 03-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sidewinder77 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
I don't see a single defect in any of these pictures... No explanation either... Can you point them out with an arrow or at least describe what you are seeing?
Sorry. Just edited my post with descriptions.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06
This is a follow-up to an earlier thread regarding paint defects I have noticed on my car that I picked up new from the Corvette Museum.

The hood defect can be seen in the first photo. It almost appears like a "V" shape in the paint. There's another hood paint defect near the end by the windshield. Appears like a raised ridge.

The rear bumper defect is to the left of the emblem and it looks like a ripple or dent in the paint. It's probably the most obvious one when seen in person.

These dimples or ripples in the paint are noticeable at certain angles and lighting. They almost appear like dents but the surface feels smooth. Only the one on the hood feels ever so slightly raised. I am wondering if it is some type of clearcoat defect.

I am against the idea of having the dealership repaint the panels since the car is brand new. Perhaps I should just accept them as is? It makes me feel kind of sad that these paint blemishes exist, especially on a $150k car that I worked hard for.

What would you guys do? Also, can anyone with expertise on paint or bodywork explain what these blemishes are and what caused them?
They look extremely minor to me and I'm VERY particular about my cars. I highly doubt anyone other than you notices them. I've long given up expecting things like this to be flawless however I know how disappointing it is fo be unsatisfied with a car you worked hard to get and were/are excited about. I would say what you are seeing is normal, after-all It's a Chevy, not a Bugatti... Just be happy your panels all match unlike some of the guys with major paint issues.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:06 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

There is nothing you can do.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

The rear emblem paint defect is a joke, no way, have them respray that ****, that’s horrible, 150k��
**** that
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have them repaint those panels, and keep at it until they are acceptable.
You already took delivery, so its your only option. If you choose to accept it you will always be pissed off by it.
I wouldn’t accept that on a low priced daily driver and certainly not on a ZR1.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,685 Likes on 2,984 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The 1st picture of the blemishes below the zr1 emblem are distracting to me, what does the dealer have to say?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

My car is just as bad, if not much worse! I haven’t driven it in 3 weeks...just pisses me off and I might dump it for an AMG GTR or R8.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Nesch18
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
My car is just as bad, if not much worse! I haven’t driven it in 3 weeks...just pisses me off and I might dump it for an AMG GTR or R8.
The AMG GT has it too. Bumper has a little different shade than the fenders because of different materials.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesch18
The AMG GT has it too. Bumper has a little different shade than the fenders because of different materials.
I’ll be with a 2018 and 2019 AMG-GTR next weekend, both black. I’ll inspect them...and yes the drying process is different for both materials but in the ZR1s case, the hood/roof/rear spoiler are painted somewhere else and with a differnet paint than the factory’s mixture.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I have to say I'd be pissed .. Mine went from the dealer to the shop that is doing the Xpel and ceramic coating and they went all over the car. They said there was one spot that looked like someone scratched it and filled it in with touch up paint. They were able to fix it with no problem so I'm not even going to tell my dealer about it. I'd have a hard time letting a dealer paint my new car. Good luck man!!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:51 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06

Well, I can see them. I know they are difficult to photograph, especially the clear coat defects. I know, mine were very difficult to photo. GM wants you to have the attitude of acceptance for this inferior paint work. I would forget pursuiing this matter on the forum here. It seems the membership is replete with skeptics and persons who do not have a lot of positive or helpful things to say. Some of the comments have been downright hateful. A sign of the times I guess. You should document a case number with Chevy Customer Service, record the case number and handle all service visits and other correspondence in writing including case number. Start a written diary of dates, times, issue and persons contacted and their response or lack of response. IMO you are just asking for disappointment airing the problems here. There have been a few helpful exceptions here but I feel your best course of action would be to direct your efforts through the dealership service people at the delivering dealer or elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Well, I can see them. I know they are difficult to photograph, especially the clear coat defects. I know, mine were very difficult to photo. GM wants you to have the attitude of acceptance for this inferior paint work. I would forget pursuiing this matter on the forum here. It seems the membership is replete with skeptics and persons who do not have a lot of positive or helpful things to say. Some of the comments have been downright hateful. A sign of the times I guess. You should document a case number with Chevy Customer Service, record the case number and handle all service visits and other correspondence in writing including case number. Start a written diary of dates, times, issue and persons contacted and their response or lack of response. IMO you are just asking for disappointment airing the problems here. There have been a few helpful exceptions here but I feel your best course of action would be to direct your efforts through the dealership service people at the delivering dealer or elsewhere.
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.

Customer service is more like the Apple genius bar. They are there to “guide” you, they have no authority over the dealer and they have no power in corporate GM. Their job is to ask for your zip code, find a dealer, call the dealer on your behalf (and even make a mess of things more when they call on your behalf and explain half of the issues wrong).

The dealers dont respond to emails. They dont respond to voicemails. They dont even answer the phone.

The biggest issue in this is the region you reside. If you are in a state like NY or NJ where the cost of living is 2-3x of say Ohio or FL, the problem is people working at these dealers are making fraction of their counterparts in Audi or BMW or Porsche who literally rule the market here. Very few chevys here and lots of euro cars. As a result, the treatment you get from chevy dealers are just atrocious. I m sure if I lived in Austin TX or Orlando FL or Tulsa OK, I would have a much better experience because people working on these cars and dealership staff probably do give a **** whereas people I have met are so fed up, so unhappy with their job that they have no incentive to help.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Punky in 3. 2. 1.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-12-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Punky in 3. 2. 1.

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of paint defects

Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.

Customer service is more like the Apple genius bar. They are there to “guide” you, they have no authority over the dealer and they have no power in corporate GM. Their job is to ask for your zip code, find a dealer, call the dealer on your behalf (and even make a mess of things more when they call on your behalf and explain half of the issues wrong).

The dealers dont respond to emails. They dont respond to voicemails. They dont even answer the phone.

The biggest issue in this is the region you reside. If you are in a state like NY or NJ where the cost of living is 2-3x of say Ohio or FL, the problem is people working at these dealers are making fraction of their counterparts in Audi or BMW or Porsche who literally rule the market here. Very few chevys here and lots of euro cars. As a result, the treatment you get from chevy dealers are just atrocious. I m sure if I lived in Austin TX or Orlando FL or Tulsa OK, I would have a much better experience because people working on these cars and dealership staff probably do give a **** whereas people I have met are so fed up, so unhappy with their job that they have no incentive to help.
There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I don’t know if this is any consolation at all, but there are no perfect paint jobs or panel alignments IMO. You will likely be the only one who notices the small defects... ever....Don’t let this ruin your experience with the car.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Punky in 3. 2. 1.
LOL!

Here's Punky behind the keyboard raging on-

And here's Punky in real life-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pictures of paint defects