Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Pictures of paint defects

 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 PM
  #1  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Pictures of paint defects








CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:31 PM
  #2  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

This is a follow-up to an earlier thread regarding paint defects I have noticed on my car that I picked up new from the Corvette Museum.

The hood defect can be seen in the first photo. It almost appears like a "V" shape in the paint. There's another hood paint defect near the end by the windshield. Appears like a raised ridge.

The rear bumper defect is to the left of the emblem and it looks like a ripple or dent in the paint. It's probably the most obvious one when seen in person.

These dimples or ripples in the paint are noticeable at certain angles and lighting. They almost appear like dents but the surface feels smooth. Only the one on the hood feels ever so slightly raised. I am wondering if it is some type of clearcoat defect.

I am against the idea of having the dealership repaint the panels since the car is brand new. Perhaps I should just accept them as is? It makes me feel kind of sad that these paint blemishes exist, especially on a $150k car that I worked hard for.

What would you guys do? Also, can anyone with expertise on paint or bodywork explain what these blemishes are and what caused them?

Last edited by CaddyJimz06; 03-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 PM
  #3  
HTXSkydiver
CF Senior Member
 
HTXSkydiver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 438
Thanked 180 Times in 123 Posts
Default

I don't see a single defect in any of these pictures... No explanation either... Can you point them out with an arrow or at least describe what you are seeing?

EDIT: Sorry, looks like you were writing your explanation in a separate post as I was writing my reply

Last edited by HTXSkydiver; 03-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
HTXSkydiver is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to HTXSkydiver For This Useful Post:
sidewinder77 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 PM
  #4  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver View Post
I don't see a single defect in any of these pictures... No explanation either... Can you point them out with an arrow or at least describe what you are seeing?
Sorry. Just edited my post with descriptions.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 PM
  #5  
HTXSkydiver
CF Senior Member
 
HTXSkydiver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 438
Thanked 180 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06 View Post
This is a follow-up to an earlier thread regarding paint defects I have noticed on my car that I picked up new from the Corvette Museum.

The hood defect can be seen in the first photo. It almost appears like a "V" shape in the paint. There's another hood paint defect near the end by the windshield. Appears like a raised ridge.

The rear bumper defect is to the left of the emblem and it looks like a ripple or dent in the paint. It's probably the most obvious one when seen in person.

These dimples or ripples in the paint are noticeable at certain angles and lighting. They almost appear like dents but the surface feels smooth. Only the one on the hood feels ever so slightly raised. I am wondering if it is some type of clearcoat defect.

I am against the idea of having the dealership repaint the panels since the car is brand new. Perhaps I should just accept them as is? It makes me feel kind of sad that these paint blemishes exist, especially on a $150k car that I worked hard for.

What would you guys do? Also, can anyone with expertise on paint or bodywork explain what these blemishes are and what caused them?
They look extremely minor to me and I'm VERY particular about my cars. I highly doubt anyone other than you notices them. I've long given up expecting things like this to be flawless however I know how disappointing it is fo be unsatisfied with a car you worked hard to get and were/are excited about. I would say what you are seeing is normal, after-all It's a Chevy, not a Bugatti... Just be happy your panels all match unlike some of the guys with major paint issues.
HTXSkydiver is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:06 PM
  #6  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 585
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Default

There is nothing you can do.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 AM
  #7  
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member
 
blackvetterzo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: DES PLAINES IL
Posts: 3,886
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Default

The rear emblem paint defect is a joke, no way, have them respray that ****, that’s horrible, 150k��
**** that
blackvetterzo6 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM
  #8  
warren s
CF Senior Member
 
warren s's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 2,156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Default

I would have them repaint those panels, and keep at it until they are acceptable.
You already took delivery, so its your only option. If you choose to accept it you will always be pissed off by it.
I wouldn’t accept that on a low priced daily driver and certainly not on a ZR1.

warren s is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 AM
  #9  
449er
CF Senior Member
 
449er's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,198
Thanked 273 Times in 234 Posts
Default

The 1st picture of the blemishes below the zr1 emblem are distracting to me, what does the dealer have to say?
449er is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM
  #10  
SilveradoSS500
CF Senior Member
 
SilveradoSS500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 658
Thanked 75 Times in 37 Posts
Default

My car is just as bad, if not much worse! I haven’t driven it in 3 weeks...just pisses me off and I might dump it for an AMG GTR or R8.
SilveradoSS500 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 AM
  #11  
Nesch18
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 142
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500 View Post
My car is just as bad, if not much worse! I haven’t driven it in 3 weeks...just pisses me off and I might dump it for an AMG GTR or R8.
The AMG GT has it too. Bumper has a little different shade than the fenders because of different materials.
Nesch18 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
  #12  
SilveradoSS500
CF Senior Member
 
SilveradoSS500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 658
Thanked 75 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nesch18 View Post
The AMG GT has it too. Bumper has a little different shade than the fenders because of different materials.
I’ll be with a 2018 and 2019 AMG-GTR next weekend, both black. I’ll inspect them...and yes the drying process is different for both materials but in the ZR1s case, the hood/roof/rear spoiler are painted somewhere else and with a differnet paint than the factory’s mixture.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
SilveradoSS500 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM
  #13  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default

I have to say I'd be pissed .. Mine went from the dealer to the shop that is doing the Xpel and ceramic coating and they went all over the car. They said there was one spot that looked like someone scratched it and filled it in with touch up paint. They were able to fix it with no problem so I'm not even going to tell my dealer about it. I'd have a hard time letting a dealer paint my new car. Good luck man!!
2019 ZR1 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:51 PM
  #14  
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ROBWILKER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 298
Thanked 97 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06 View Post
This is a follow-up to an earlier thread regarding paint defects I have noticed on my car that I picked up new from the Corvette Museum.

The hood defect can be seen in the first photo. It almost appears like a "V" shape in the paint. There's another hood paint defect near the end by the windshield. Appears like a raised ridge.

The rear bumper defect is to the left of the emblem and it looks like a ripple or dent in the paint. It's probably the most obvious one when seen in person.

These dimples or ripples in the paint are noticeable at certain angles and lighting. They almost appear like dents but the surface feels smooth. Only the one on the hood feels ever so slightly raised. I am wondering if it is some type of clearcoat defect.

I am against the idea of having the dealership repaint the panels since the car is brand new. Perhaps I should just accept them as is? It makes me feel kind of sad that these paint blemishes exist, especially on a $150k car that I worked hard for.

What would you guys do? Also, can anyone with expertise on paint or bodywork explain what these blemishes are and what caused them?
Well, I can see them. I know they are difficult to photograph, especially the clear coat defects. I know, mine were very difficult to photo. GM wants you to have the attitude of acceptance for this inferior paint work. I would forget pursuiing this matter on the forum here. It seems the membership is replete with skeptics and persons who do not have a lot of positive or helpful things to say. Some of the comments have been downright hateful. A sign of the times I guess. You should document a case number with Chevy Customer Service, record the case number and handle all service visits and other correspondence in writing including case number. Start a written diary of dates, times, issue and persons contacted and their response or lack of response. IMO you are just asking for disappointment airing the problems here. There have been a few helpful exceptions here but I feel your best course of action would be to direct your efforts through the dealership service people at the delivering dealer or elsewhere.
ROBWILKER is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM
  #15  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 585
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER View Post
Well, I can see them. I know they are difficult to photograph, especially the clear coat defects. I know, mine were very difficult to photo. GM wants you to have the attitude of acceptance for this inferior paint work. I would forget pursuiing this matter on the forum here. It seems the membership is replete with skeptics and persons who do not have a lot of positive or helpful things to say. Some of the comments have been downright hateful. A sign of the times I guess. You should document a case number with Chevy Customer Service, record the case number and handle all service visits and other correspondence in writing including case number. Start a written diary of dates, times, issue and persons contacted and their response or lack of response. IMO you are just asking for disappointment airing the problems here. There have been a few helpful exceptions here but I feel your best course of action would be to direct your efforts through the dealership service people at the delivering dealer or elsewhere.
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.

Customer service is more like the Apple genius bar. They are there to “guide” you, they have no authority over the dealer and they have no power in corporate GM. Their job is to ask for your zip code, find a dealer, call the dealer on your behalf (and even make a mess of things more when they call on your behalf and explain half of the issues wrong).

The dealers dont respond to emails. They dont respond to voicemails. They dont even answer the phone.

The biggest issue in this is the region you reside. If you are in a state like NY or NJ where the cost of living is 2-3x of say Ohio or FL, the problem is people working at these dealers are making fraction of their counterparts in Audi or BMW or Porsche who literally rule the market here. Very few chevys here and lots of euro cars. As a result, the treatment you get from chevy dealers are just atrocious. I m sure if I lived in Austin TX or Orlando FL or Tulsa OK, I would have a much better experience because people working on these cars and dealership staff probably do give a **** whereas people I have met are so fed up, so unhappy with their job that they have no incentive to help.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM
  #16  
TARANTULA
CF Senior Member
 
TARANTULA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Wellington FL
Posts: 1,509
Thanked 99 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Punky in 3. 2. 1.
TARANTULA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TARANTULA For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (03-12-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 PM
  #17  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TARANTULA View Post
Punky in 3. 2. 1.
2019 ZR1 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 PM
  #18  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER View Post
Well, I can see them. I know they are difficult to photograph, especially the clear coat defects. I know, mine were very difficult to photo. GM wants you to have the attitude of acceptance for this inferior paint work. I would forget pursuiing this matter on the forum here. It seems the membership is replete with skeptics and persons who do not have a lot of positive or helpful things to say. Some of the comments have been downright hateful. A sign of the times I guess. You should document a case number with Chevy Customer Service, record the case number and handle all service visits and other correspondence in writing including case number. Start a written diary of dates, times, issue and persons contacted and their response or lack of response. IMO you are just asking for disappointment airing the problems here. There have been a few helpful exceptions here but I feel your best course of action would be to direct your efforts through the dealership service people at the delivering dealer or elsewhere.
Yea I don't know what to do because I bought the car from a Kansas dealer due to the whole find an allocation without mark-up game. I have a bad gut feeling about dealing with the Chevy dealers in my town. I might ultimately just accept the flaws because I don't know how I would feel to repaint a brand new ZR1. This is just crazy because this is suppose to be GM's flagship halo car.

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
I have spent 60+ days with customer service, selling dealer, local dealers.

The best way to explain the ownership experience:

- Customer service : similar to dealing with walmart
- Appearance of the car visually : Its like IKEA furniture. Looks amazing from pictures or from a distance but up close its not. It doesnt feel premium.
- Driving of the car : Amazing. Power. Sheer torque. Handling. Out of this world.

It is such a pitty that such an amazing piece of machinery has this extremely shitty experience associated with it.

Customer service is more like the Apple genius bar. They are there to “guide” you, they have no authority over the dealer and they have no power in corporate GM. Their job is to ask for your zip code, find a dealer, call the dealer on your behalf (and even make a mess of things more when they call on your behalf and explain half of the issues wrong).

The dealers dont respond to emails. They dont respond to voicemails. They dont even answer the phone.

The biggest issue in this is the region you reside. If you are in a state like NY or NJ where the cost of living is 2-3x of say Ohio or FL, the problem is people working at these dealers are making fraction of their counterparts in Audi or BMW or Porsche who literally rule the market here. Very few chevys here and lots of euro cars. As a result, the treatment you get from chevy dealers are just atrocious. I m sure if I lived in Austin TX or Orlando FL or Tulsa OK, I would have a much better experience because people working on these cars and dealership staff probably do give a **** whereas people I have met are so fed up, so unhappy with their job that they have no incentive to help.
There are definitely a lot less Euro cars and much more domestics driving around in El Paso, where I live. But yes, even my wife is aware that Chevy customer service is garbage from visiting a number of dealers throughout the years. I would say a third of the dealerships I called to inquire about the ZR1 allocation didn't even know what a ZR1 is. I think many dealerships aren't prepared or have the knowledge needed to sell Corvettes. I will probably eventually bring the car in to have the paint looked at by one of the dealers in town. I kind of have to bring it in eventually because of the 500 mile oil change as well as having them install the factory performance intake and carbon fiber end caps.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
  #19  
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member
 
Rinaldo Catria's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Thanked 243 Times in 157 Posts
Default

I don’t know if this is any consolation at all, but there are no perfect paint jobs or panel alignments IMO. You will likely be the only one who notices the small defects... ever....Don’t let this ruin your experience with the car.
Rinaldo Catria is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 AM
  #20  
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 8,591
Thanked 382 Times in 272 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TARANTULA View Post
Punky in 3. 2. 1.
LOL!

Here's Punky behind the keyboard raging on-



And here's Punky in real life-


Les is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: