C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Thinking of swapping out the Cup 2's

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 AM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Thinking of swapping out the Cup 2's

Hi, while my ZR1 just arrived and will be at the dealership for a bit, I was "thinking" about maybe swapping out the Cup 2's
for PSS's.
My dealer wants $2000 for the PSS tires installed. It seems about right I guess since he is not putting them on for free.
I was wondering if someone in the Ct. area would be interested in buying the new Cup 2's since it doesn't make sense to ship them.
I don't know what others sold for but if anyone has any thoughts about it I'm open about it.....

Last edited by c5c6c7; 03-10-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: type error
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

I got my PSS's on sale for around ~$1600. My dealer swapped them out for free upon delivery of my ZR1. Locally I should be able to sell the Cup 2's for $900-$1200. I'm not sure I want to mess with shipping them to someone as they typically don't want to pay the shipping costs which reduces my price in the end. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
c5c6c7 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I sent a text to someone who might be interested. If he is, he’ll PM you. Check prices at Discount Tire Direct.. sent right to your dealer. Ask dealer if he’ll do tire swap labor/balance for free . He might give you that if you had no other concessions from him. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 AM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
I sent a text to someone who might be interested. If he is, he’ll PM you. Check prices at Discount Tire Direct.. sent right to your dealer. Ask dealer if he’ll do tire swap labor/balance for free . He might give you that if you had no other concessions from him. Hope this helps.
Thanks that was nice of you....
My dealer is not happy with the trade allowance he gave me for my Z51.
We made a deal since he wasn't taking a dime off the ZR1 (and I am a long time customer) that it was fair that he would give me the number I needed to get for my trade.
We were off by 4k but the owner agreed to make the deal...Now a year later (no one knew it would be that long) they are attempting to renegotiate the contract.....They won't do anything for free at this point.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

I do think you are smart to have the dealer do the swap regardless. These wide run flats are a real b*tch to mount without scuffing the rim. Make certain you emphasize to them you expect the job will be done with NO MARKS on you wheels. If something goes wrong, they can buy you a new wheel.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 03-10-2019 at 11:26 AM.
c5c6c7 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I have just over 3,000 miles on my ZR1 and yesterday swapped the Cup2’s off for the regular Super Sports.
Had a local major tire shop in Westchester Cty NY, remove, then mount and road force balance the Suoer Sports and also install the Cup2’s on an extra set of wheels for a friend of mine who wanted them for his use at the track.
They did a fantastic job, all 8 tires mounted and balance in about 1hr and 45 mins, not a nick or scratch on the wheels.
In contrast my buddy with a Z06 had the dealer do his and it took them almost 6 hours!!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
I have just over 3,000 miles on my ZR1 and yesterday swapped the Cup2’s off for the regular Super Sports.
Had a local major tire shop in Westchester Cty NY, remove, then mount and road force balance the Suoer Sports and also install the Cup2’s on an extra set of wheels for a friend of mine who wanted them for his use at the track.
They did a fantastic job, all 8 tires mounted and balance in about 1hr and 45 mins, not a nick or scratch on the wheels.
In contrast my buddy with a Z06 had the dealer do his and it took them almost 6 hours!!

I am just wondering ..why did you swap off the cup 2's?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5c6c7
I am just wondering ..why did you swap off the cup 2's?
I found for my use the Cup2’s just weren’t cutting it, unless it’s a perfect day, with the perfect temps etc the car just didn’t feel planted to the ground to me...they are pretty much track only tires. Now that I made the switch, the car felt SO much better. I was tentative with those tires, now I’m not.
c5c6c7 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

A quality shop like you’ve describled is a jewel. They sound like they have the latest mar free equipment and the experience to do ultra wide low aspect ratio run flats. Without the right tire techs it can turn into a cluster &@$(. If they do damage the rim, most shops will only pay for the repair.... not a new wheel.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:52 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A quality shop like you’ve describled is a jewel. They sound like they have the latest mar free equipment and the experience to do ultra wide low aspect ratio run flats. Without the right tire techs it can turn into a cluster &@$(. If they do damage the rim, most shops will only pay for the repair.... not a new wheel.
Not to mention they could cost themselves (or me) THOUSANDS if they damaged the Carbon Ceramic Rotors...I cover all the bases though as I gave them Lug Guides by Reverse Logic, that ensure the wheels come off straight
Old 03-10-2019, 11:54 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

c5c6c7 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:37 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Not to mention they could cost themselves (or me) THOUSANDS if they damaged the Carbon Ceramic Rotors...I cover all the bases though as I gave them Lug Guides by Reverse Logic, that ensure the wheels come off straight
. EXCELLENT POINT... even a bigger deal than the possible scratched wheel.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I switched the cup tires out right away, I found on my Z06/Z07 they picked up every rock on the road and threw it down the sides of my car, and didn't like the wet, I put non run flat pilot super sports on.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by hcvone
I switched the cup tires out right away, I found on my Z06/Z07 they picked up every rock on the road and threw it down the sides of my car, and didn't like the wet, I put non run flat pilot super sports on.
. I swapped out the tires new as well, reluctantly staying with run flats to get the 335 size rears... but I believe you had said in a previous post, the non run flat 325 sit wider anyway so its a wash. Like you I dont care for how the Cup tires grab hold of small stones and whip them onto the car. When instructor (former Indy racer) Richie Hearn told us the cups were worth 2 seconds to him on the 2.1 mile ciruit at SM, it confirmed to me that at my driving skill level, being mainly interested in having fun at the track not setting fastest lap times, the PSS are a better choice for ME. also, I often encounter rain in Wisonsin to and from Road America over a long weekend. It CAN
involve downpours with standing water on the highway. Not a good scenario for semi slick Cup tires IMO. I drove both tires at SM... the cups on the 2nd day when I was pushing the car harder. They have phenomenal grip IMO.. but I’m not planning to push my own car that hard on the track.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

I do think you are smart to have the dealer do the swap regardless. These wide run flats are a real b*tch to mount without scuffing the rim. Make certain you emphasize to them you expect the job will be done with NO MARKS on you wheels. If something goes wrong, they can buy you a new wheel.
I was lucky, my dealer supports a local track and my salesman is a car guy and racer. With confidence he told me they could swap them with no issues which was the case. I wouldn't let the average dealer do it.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I'm going to be removing my Cup 2's very soon as well. I'm not going to be tracking it and just want some good street tires.
Haven't decided if I'm going to sell the Cup 2's just yet.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Thank's everyone!

Based on your feed back I had the dealer order the PSS's for me.
I wish GM would have made those an option since it seems a lot of people are swapping them out.
If anyone is interested in the new Cup 2's they are taking off, you can PM me..

Again thanks, I really appreciated you taking the time to post your pictures and words of wisdom...

Barry
Nyvetteguy007 (03-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of swapping out the Cup 2's

Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
I was lucky, my dealer supports a local track and my salesman is a car guy and racer. With confidence he told me they could swap them with no issues which was the case. I wouldn't let the average dealer do it.
. You are spot on about the average dealer comment. Many don’t see this stuff. The dealer I got my car from, Rick Conti at Coughlin in Pataskala OH is superb IMO.. the Corvette tech there is Chuck Metts (for Mett-iculous).. problem for me is that I’m 700 miles away so they aren’t handy for ongoing tires changes etc. I wouldn’t trust many Chevy dealers to change the oil let alone change tires.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:55 AM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Swapping out the cup 2's... I think it was a bad omen for things to come having that Police car in the next bay!
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5c6c7
Swapping out the cup 2's... I think it was a bad omen for things to come having that Police car in the next bay!
that’s the best scenario to have a cop car that close to your ZR1..

Quick Reply: Thinking of swapping out the Cup 2's