Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

The quality of ride on the street

Old 03-12-2019, 04:43 PM
aaslanmd
CF Member

-Hmm, another fellow E39 M5/ZR1 owner! Do you still have your M5?

Hi,
Yes, I do! 2000 6-speed w/ 314K miles, all original CA car; VANOS went out... Been dealer serviced since day 1; repair quote more than car's worth, so will likely donate it. My BMW mechanic/technician was going to buy it for $3500, but backed out at last minute. Great all-around car, hate to see it go...

Last edited by aaslanmd; 03-12-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add original question
Old 03-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 View Post
You can really feel things tighten up in Sport, Track Mode is just amazing. As stated above, road conditions are a deciding factor.
. Iím beating a dead horse horse here, but for the benefit of new members: Manual warns against using Track mode on street. Itís not an overkill warning. Multiple cases of bent wheels (usually rears) hitting potholes in Track mode.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 03-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rinaldo Catria For This Useful Post:
aaslanmd (03-14-2019), SouthernSon (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sure glad I was in Touring when I hit the pothole the other day.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 PM
aaslanmd
CF Member

Are you still driving yours? Year, mileage, mods?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I drove mine last night to our club meeting and the wife and I both still can't believe how much better the ZR1 rides over our 16 Z06.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria View Post
. Iím beating a dead horse horse here, but for the benefit of new members: Manual warns against using Track mode on street. Itís not an overkill warning. Multiple cases of bent wheels (usually rears) hitting potholes in Track mode.
Have not heard of any ZR1's doing this yet with the spun forged wheels, but common in the Z06's for sure
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Palantirion
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by aaslanmd View Post

Hi,
Yes, I do! 2000 6-speed w/ 314K miles, all original CA car; VANOS went out... Been dealer serviced since day 1; repair quote more than car's worth, so will likely donate it. My BMW mechanic/technician was going to buy it for $3500, but backed out at last minute. Great all-around car, hate to see it go...
- Regarding cost...consider the cost of repairing the M5 vs. the cost of replacement with a new car, not the value of the M5. If you really love that car you won't find a true replacement - especially since BMW no longer offers manuals on new cars in the US market.

Originally Posted by aaslanmd View Post

Are you still driving yours? Year, mileage, mods?
-Yeah, mine's a keeper. It's the perfect car, potential repair costs not withstanding. Mine's a full Dinan S2 with Stoptech BBK, running 275s on RS-GTs on all 4 corners. Several interior mods, like Euro dash conversion, many others, all subtle.

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria View Post
-Weird, since track mode is supposed to be find bouncing off track curbing.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
- Regarding cost...consider the cost of repairing the M5 vs. the cost of replacement with a new car, not the value of the M5. If you really love that car you won't find a true replacement - especially since BMW no longer offers manuals on new cars in the US market.

-Yeah, mine's a keeper. It's the perfect car, potential repair costs not withstanding. Mine's a full Dinan S2 with Stoptech BBK, running 275s on RS-GTs on all 4 corners. Several interior mods, like Euro dash conversion, many others, all subtle.

. From hearing 1st hand testimonials from Vette owners who have bent wheels, I will not ride in Track mode on the street. In fact, if I happen to be on a rougher stretch of road, I will stay in Tour mode. As for taking curbs on the track, I noticed that the curbs at Spring Mountain were very gentle. You can go right up them and not bottom out or unsettle the car at all. Their cars do it all day long with no bending that I was aware of anyway. Personally, Id be more careful about doing that on other tracks Iíve seen but Iím not the most experienced track savy person on this board so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Hib Halverson
CF Senior Member

Wow.
To someone who is R8C'ing a ZR-1 (SN 1878) next week and will then drive the car to California hearing that the ride quality of a ZTK ZR-1 will exceed that of my 2012 ZO6/ZO7 is "music to ones ears".

Now all I gotta do is survive the wet weather forecast for the southwestern U.S. during the last part of my trip.

Wish me luck, folks.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
tobaccokid
CF Senior Member

Seat-of-the-pants and off-the-cuff rationalizations by human beings, irrespective of the subject, are always entertaining.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 03-15-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post

It certainly does happen from time to time even in HPDE's. I try not to unless in W2W which I don't intend to do with the ZR1. Will be interesting to get some feed back as the model matures.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: