C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

The quality of ride on the street

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default The quality of ride on the street

I now have 1300 miles on the vehicle. All of the miles have been on the street and I must say the ride in tour mode is the best I have ever experienced. I have tried to think of the best way to describe it but is difficult; firm and well planted, constantly connected to the pavement but it does not jolt, jounce, jostle or buck when you hit a pothole. I was meeting a vehicle on a two lane yesterday when I pothole came into view. Even my passenger said, "Oh no!". The ZR1 simply passed over it without much fuss and continued about its business. Those shocks and springs are fantastic. It is different from any vehicle I have ever driven. The best tuned suspension I have ever seen. Again, congratulations to the engineers on a fantastic job!
The following 3 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
GrapemanZR1 (03-11-2019), Painrace (03-13-2019), trooper (03-14-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Zr1

I completely agree. I have a 16 Z06 that doesn't have the Z07 package, but my ZR1 is a track pack car, but it rides 100 times better than my Z06.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c5c6c7 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM
aaslanmd
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi SouthernSon! Have appreciated your contributions to the forum! Congrats!
Just got my low-wing ZR1 (#1787) 2/22 after Museum delivery (highly recommended BTW, to those of you thinking about it): short ride to detailer's for tint/PPF/ceramic paint finish confirmed your impressions. Pretty amazing (in my opinion) for a car with such an impressive handling/performance envelope/value! No rattles, paint/fit/finish issues (ext + interior).
Similar to my 2000 BMW M5 E39: set up right from factory (without adjustable suspension) for street/track (and stayed that way for 314K trouble-free miles)...
My friend's C5 w/ base suspension also had similar ride; perfect compromise for street/track use!
My '07 C6 Z06 a different story: all over the place on bumpy, irregular roads despite 15-way adjustable QA1 shocks all the way around. It became my daily ride rain or shine (6-sp manual w/ short-shifter + power was intoxicating) after retiring M5 (replaced by 2016 AMG S63V4, has 2-way adjustable air suspension w/ aftermarket lift controller; a completely different experience, but in a good way); but after every ride, I was pissing blood + spitting out teeth... Sold to CarMax with 130K+ miles after ZR1 TPW confirmed.
No comparison w/ my '98 C5 w/ 3-way adjustable factory suspension (1st gen adj suspension/run-flats) was no comparison to current C7s.
Enjoy your new ride!
I see from your avatar you're on 2 wheels also: I ride a Suzuki Hayabusa + H-D V-ROD also; nice changes from 4 wheels in the spring + summer! Stay safe!
The following 2 users liked this post by aaslanmd:
Flyjets (03-11-2019), SouthernSon (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I completely agree. I have a 16 Z06 that doesn't have the Z07 package, but my ZR1 is a track pack car, but it rides 100 times better than my Z06.
Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I now have 1300 miles on the vehicle. All of the miles have been on the street and I must say the ride in tour mode is the best I have ever experienced. I have tried to think of the best way to describe it but is difficult; firm and well planted, constantly connected to the pavement but it does not jolt, jounce, jostle or buck when you hit a pothole. I was meeting a vehicle on a two lane yesterday when I pothole came into view. Even my passenger said, "Oh no!". The ZR1 simply passed over it without much fuss and continued about its business. Those shocks and springs are fantastic. It is different from any vehicle I have ever driven. The best tuned suspension I have ever seen. Again, congratulations to the engineers on a fantastic job!

This is amazing to hear and I'm looking forward to experiencing this myself as soon as I get my car delivered. I'm coming from a 2016 Z06 non Z07 and thought that had an amazing ride.

Last edited by TB427Z06; 03-11-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

This is great to hear... I haven't gotten to drive mine yet because of the weather here in Pittsburgh.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 PM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

I drive mine every day, in good or bad weather (just a little more carefully in the rain!). Each and every day, it brings a smile to my face. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. One thing I just bought, though, is yet to be installed but I think needed. A front curb sensor. The splitter is out there, and in order to activate the front camera, you must put the car in reverse and then drive. A PITA, in my view. With a more traditional and audible curb sensor (very discreet mounting...you can hardly see it), problem solved!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
This is great to hear... I haven't gotten to drive mine yet because of the weather here in Pittsburgh.
to the weather up thre. You will LOVE the ride and handling > the Z07. Can't wait for your thoughts and upgrades .

Originally Posted by GrapemanZR1
I drive mine every day, in good or bad weather (just a little more carefully in the rain!). Each and every day, it brings a smile to my face. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. One thing I just bought, though, is yet to be installed but I think needed. A front curb sensor. The splitter is out there, and in order to activate the front camera, you must put the car in reverse and then drive. A PITA, in my view. With a more traditional and audible curb sensor (very discreet mounting...you can hardly see it), problem solved!
I can activate my front camera without putting the car in reverse. Just hit the camera as you are rolling up to the curb, the nice lines do a great job of warning me how close I am.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

My last two Z06's were Z07's, and my ZR1 rides and takes bumps SO MUCH SMOOTHER than my last two Z's, and yes they both had the suspension reprogramming, which made them much better for the street, but not as smooth as the ZR1 and yes it has the ZTK option.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
:

I can activate my front camera without putting the car in reverse. Just hit the camera as you are rolling up to the curb, the nice lines do a great job of warning me how close I am.
Shoot! I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:47 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by GrapemanZR1
Shoot! I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.
I'd have taken out the spoiler by now without !
Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by TB427Z06
This is amazing to hear and I'm looking forward to experiencing this myself as soon as I get my car delivered. I'm coming from a 2016 Z06 non Z07 and thought that had an amazing ride.
I still have my 2016 Z06-the ZR1 really is a better and different ride/feel. When I got back home from taking delivery of my ZR1 I took my Z06 back out for a little drive. The ZR1 is much better and even feels better through the steering wheel. It's kinda hard to describe. You just have to drive one.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 03-11-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Flyjets
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Great to hear

Originally Posted by aaslanmd
Just got my low-wing ZR1 (#1787) 2/22 after Museum delivery (highly recommended BTW, to those of you thinking about it): short ride to detailer's for tint/PPF/ceramic paint finish confirmed your impressions. Pretty amazing (in my opinion) for a car with such an impressive handling/performance envelope/value! No rattles, paint/fit/finish issues (ext + interior).
Similar to my 2000 BMW M5 E39: set up right from factory (without adjustable suspension) for street/track (and stayed that way for 314K trouble-free miles)...
My friend's C5 w/ base suspension also had similar ride; perfect compromise for street/track use!
My '07 C6 Z06 a different story: all over the place on bumpy, irregular roads despite 15-way adjustable QA1 shocks all the way around. It became my daily ride rain or shine (6-sp manual w/ short-shifter + power was intoxicating) after retiring M5 (replaced by 2016 AMG S63V4, has 2-way adjustable air suspension w/ aftermarket lift controller; a completely different experience, but in a good way); but after every ride, I was pissing blood + spitting out teeth... Sold to CarMax with 130K+ miles after ZR1 TPW confirmed.
No comparison w/ my '98 C5 w/ 3-way adjustable factory suspension (1st gen adj suspension/run-flats) was no comparison to current C7s.
Enjoy your new ride!
I see from your avatar you're on 2 wheels also: I ride a Suzuki Hayabusa + H-D V-ROD also; nice changes from 4 wheels in the spring + summer! Stay safe!
I too am coming from a 16 ZO6 and am a fair weather Ducati rider.
My ZR1 # 1982 was completed last Friday & I am planning a museum pickup April 2.
Where may I ask did you get ceramic done near the museum?
Cheers
aaslanmd (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
My last two Z06's were Z07's, and my ZR1 rides and takes bumps SO MUCH SMOOTHER than my last two Z's, and yes they both had the suspension reprogramming, which made them much better for the street, but not as smooth as the ZR1 and yes it has the ZTK option.
Ditto. My C7 Z06/ Z07 also has the suspension upgrade by Chevrolet Performance and I noticed a significant improvement over stock in tour, sport and track modes. My C7 ZR1/ ZTK has a far superior ride than my Z06 as compared in tour mode. I can't say much about the ZR1 sport and track mode yet due to limited experience using sport and track mode due to the inclement weather. I think the Z06 is a beast but the ZR1 is a monster.
aaslanmd (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM
aaslanmd
Instructor

Hi Flyjets!
Congrats on your new ZR! You'll enjoy the experience: I took a week off from work to explore the area, lots of history + beautiful countryside!
As I'm sure you're aware, assembly plant closed for tours; you'll get vouchers for later tour once open. Museum tour was cool.
I took delivery on a Friday; following Tuesday, enclosed transport picked up for transport to CA.
Five days later, delivered to my home. Took it to detailer/installer that did excellent PPF/tint/ceramic to my friend's new black M5. It's still there for same full spa treatment...
I'm not aware of any detailers in Bowling Green area: Shane Webb (he does Museum deliveries) might be able to recommend someone to you.
Car is "detailed" by museum PDI staff: David Smith did a nice job! You'll get to small bottles/microfiber cloth to keep it clean on way home.
I chose to wait until car was delivered to do the above; if I discover any problems, can take it back to local installer/detailer.
Are you driving it home after delivery? If so, consider bringing temporary PPF made by EXPEL for track days: paint + CF are very nicely finished!
What color/options did you get?
BTW, I've always felt Ducs are 2-wheeled Ferrari's! Very nice bike in looks, sounds + handling!
Best wishes!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Flyjets
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Very much looking forward to it and thank you!
Have been in contact w/Shane & will ask him about the ceramic/PPF.
I had the Xpel on my ZO6 & thought I'd try ceramic on the ZR1 for comparison.
Seeking a reputable ceramic applier at this time.
I had wanted the cold air intake but was told upon ordering, day after Xmas they were unavailable.
So aside from the RC8 & Orange package I got painted mirrors & crossed flag center caps.
Regards
Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 PM
aaslanmd
Instructor

I also lost performance intake on my build sheet (when I changed color); but should be available from Forum sponsors/retailers.
Have fun + enjoy!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by aaslanmd
Enjoy your new ride!
-Hmm, another fellow E39 M5/ZR1 owner! Do you still have your M5?

Get notified of new replies

To The quality of ride on the street

Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 AM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How is the ride in sport mode.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by snakepit
Not too bad as long as the roads are in good shape, freshly paved roads or interstate roads are not an issue in sport mode
Old 03-12-2019, 08:50 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by snakepit
You can really feel things tighten up in Sport, Track Mode is just amazing. As stated above, road conditions are a deciding factor.
SouthernSon (03-12-2019)

Quick Reply: The quality of ride on the street