C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 wheels/TPMS on new car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:09 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Default C6 wheels/TPMS on new car?

I have a set of wheels/race slicks that I used on my old 10 zr1 with tpms sensors. I want to use them on my 19 zr1. Will the sensors program? Will I have issues if they don’t with my traction control and abs? I know on my c6 if they weren’t programmed the car would trigger faults and make it undriveable on the road course.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,203 Posts

They operate on a different frequency, will not synch. Not sure how the car will react to the lack of (suitable) sensors. There is a grace period for sure, but once it is reached it could misbehave.

I failed to synch my tpms on my '10 ZR1 once and when it defaulted to the failsafe mode it nearly caused me to crash on the track. In moderate speeds it would not be 'visible', but under high G's the intervention was severe.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Related to this question. 1. What happens to the active handling when 18”s are put all around as we know some track enthusiest prefer for the rubber availability? 2. If you buy aftermarket wheels, what sensors need to be purchased and do they synch themselves or need to be programmed to work? This sounds like if things are not exactly right, it could result in a disaster.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 03-18-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:02 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
They operate on a different frequency, will not synch. Not sure how the car will react to the lack of (suitable) sensors. There is a grace period for sure, but once it is reached it could misbehave.

I failed to synch my tpms on my '10 ZR1 once and when it defaulted to the failsafe mode it nearly caused me to crash on the track. In moderate speeds it would not be 'visible', but under high G's the intervention was severe.
Thank you for the reply. I will have to get some new sensors then and swap them over. I had the same issue as you described in my 10 zr1 and will not chance it.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
Related to this question. 1. What happens to the active handling when 18”s are put all around as we know some track enthusiest prefer for the rubber availability? 2. If you buy aftermarket wheels, what sensors need to be purchased and do they synch themselves or need to be programmed to work? This sounds like if things are not exactly right, it could result in a disaster.
Not all 18" wheels will clear the front calipers. The ones they do, they clear it by a hair (maybe 1/8"). Active handling counts revolution of the wheel/tire, so the tire size is important (not the wheel's size). You have to retain the front/rear size ratio as close as possible to avoid upsetting the computer's algorithm. You can use the GM sensors in the aftermarket wheels. I was told the system self learns (unlike the C6 ZR1).

Last edited by range96; 03-18-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Not all 18" wheels will clear the front calipers. The ones they do, they clear it by a hair (maybe 1/8"). Active handling counts revolution of the wheel/tire, so the tire size is important (not the wheel's size). You have to retain the front/rear size ratio as close as possible to avoid upsetting the computer's algorithm. You can use the GM sensors in the aftermarket wheels. I was told the system self learns (unlike the C6 ZR1).
. Thanks. 👍

Get notified of new replies

To C6 wheels/TPMS on new car?

Quick Reply: C6 wheels/TPMS on new car?