Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Busted the NCM MSP sound level

 
Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 AM
  #1  
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports track supporter
Posts: 11,802
Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Busted the NCM MSP sound level

No mods, all factory. Last Tuesday (April 30th) it registered a couple of 103.xx's and then a 104.2. Black Flagged and came in. Weather was warm but waited until afternoon to go out again. I had to float throttle in a place or two but didn't bust the meter again. Their limit is 103db. If you plan on running the NCM MSP you might think twice about certain mods. Oh yeah, it is my understanding the barometric changes during the day can make a difference of 3 to 5 db's.
SouthernSon is online now  
Old 05-04-2019, 11:46 AM
  #2  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,063
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

I’m not too surprised. These cars are loud. I added headers with cats which made it a lot louder. I just had some laguna pipes made and will be testing them on the 18th. If you are doing more track days you may want to do the same.
ss2z06 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
SouthernSon (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 02:54 PM
  #3  
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports track supporter
Posts: 11,802
Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ss2z06 View Post
Iím not too surprised. These cars are loud. I added headers with cats which made it a lot louder. I just had some laguna pipes made and will be testing them on the 18th. If you are doing more track days you may want to do the same.
Please let me know how it works out. It really challenges my discipline to float the throttle at the beginning of a nice straight.
SouthernSon is online now  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 PM
  #4  
BearZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BearZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro Arkansas
Posts: 3,502
Received 207 Likes on 156 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Here's an idea ;(

BearZ06 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Thomasmoto (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 AM
  #5  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,063
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

The only concern I have with his design was that he mentions the car felt slower which tells me a restriction was made which if is the case can be harmful to the engine. I’ll try to post a pic of mine. It’s the same basic idea but the pipes are 3” and mandrel bent. Also I didn’t put super traps on the ends. They shouldn’t be necessary and also this should allow for it to be free flowing.
ss2z06 is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:50 PM
  #6  
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,425
Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

I'm curious as to why the National Corvette Museum would ban a stock Corvette because of its sound level? Do they worry about disturbing the BGA plant? The plant that provides decent living for its workers in that community?
range96 is online now  
Old 05-05-2019, 04:03 PM
  #7  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,516
Received 2,256 Likes on 929 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
I'm curious as to why the National Corvette Museum would ban a stock Corvette because of its sound level? Do they worry about disturbing the BGA plant? The plant that provides decent living for its workers in that community?
There's a long history of issues with the neighborhood that is close to the track. Trust me, it's not by choice.
Poor-sha is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
BearZ06 (05-05-2019), range96 (05-05-2019), SouthernSon (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 04:25 PM
  #8  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,063
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Default


Hereís a pic of my setup.
ss2z06 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
dee zed (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM
  #9  
BearZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BearZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro Arkansas
Posts: 3,502
Received 207 Likes on 156 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Yours look good, I agree the other set up looked and had to be restrictive. I did read a caution about getting the pipes too close to the bumper, something to keep in mind. There'll be a lot of heat back there on the track. That reminds me of the C6 picture a few years ago where someone had the electronic exhaust cutouts aimed back--towards the rear spring. Not a good result lol. Enjoy your track season!!
BearZ06 is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 05:18 PM
  #10  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,063
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BearZ06 View Post
Yours look good, I agree the other set up looked and had to be restrictive. I did read a caution about getting the pipes too close to the bumper, something to keep in mind. There'll be a lot of heat back there on the track. That reminds me of the C6 picture a few years ago where someone had the electronic exhaust cutouts aimed back--towards the rear spring. Not a good result lol. Enjoy your track season!!
Thank you and youíre 100% right about getting too close to the bumper. That picture gives a poor perception of how close it is. There is actually a good 8+ inches gap. Iím thinking and hoping that will be sufficient.
ss2z06 is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 05:55 PM
  #11  
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports track supporter
Posts: 11,802
Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
I'm curious as to why the National Corvette Museum would ban a stock Corvette because of its sound level? Do they worry about disturbing the BGA plant? The plant that provides decent living for its workers in that community?
The db level was agreed upon a long time before the C7ZR1 was released. The zr1 is not banned. The track gives you only 2 shots at it before your day is done. The 1st is a freebie except for the black flag and meeting with 'pit' boss. Therefore, float throttle or wait for atmospheric changes after first offense.
SouthernSon is online now  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM
  #12  
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Thomasmoto's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: GREER SC
Posts: 4,788
Received 363 Likes on 291 Posts
Default

This is a little disappointing about the ZR1 being too loud. When I took my 15 and then my16 Z06's there when they were stock were no problem. When I modded my 16 Z06 to Kooks and no cats into the factory NPP it blew a 118 so I was done with that car there. I'm not fixing/modding back my 16 Z06 for 1 track a year. But now that I have a ZR1 even totally stock it blows by too loud that's a bummer. We go back there in 2 weeks, I'll just leave my ZR1 at home. At least the wife's Tesla isn't too loud. It's ironic that I own both the loudest and quietest cars in the Optima series.
Thomasmoto is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM
  #13  
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports track supporter
Posts: 11,802
Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto View Post
This is a little disappointing about the ZR1 being too loud. When I took my 15 and then my16 Z06's there when they were stock were no problem. When I modded my 16 Z06 to Kooks and no cats into the factory NPP it blew a 118 so I was done with that car there. I'm not fixing/modding back my 16 Z06 for 1 track a year. But now that I have a ZR1 even totally stock it blows by too loud that's a bummer. We go back there in 2 weeks, I'll just leave my ZR1 at home. At least the wife's Tesla isn't too loud. It's ironic that I own both the loudest and quietest cars in the Optima series.
10/10ths? If so, see you there.
SouthernSon is online now  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: