C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Buying street tires for my ZR1, recommendations?

Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

I have 4800 spirited miles on my as3’s and like them
Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Like many, I swapped out the Sport Cups for the Super Sports at delivery. I have the new SC's ready to be mounted to something else, so I'l either sell them or mount them to another set of OEM wheels. Just over 200 miles and like the Super Sports a bunch (had them on another car, non-Corvette, so I'm already familiar with them).
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hey I saw your PM and thought I'd just reply here. My experience with the Z51 was that the non-ZP Super Sports do not handle nearly as well as the MPSS ZPs and that was with the correct sizes. The compound, tread, and construction are different and to me the car just did not feel right. I would not mess with big changes to the overall diameter for the reasons others have noted and frankly the C7 wheel wells do not handle taller tires without getting torn up if you are really hammering the car.

If you're never going to drive in less than 50 deg or in rain then the MPSS ZP seem like the best choice to me. When hot it will handle better than any of the other options you are considering. I briefly ran the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ run flats on my ZR1 and still have them. When it was cool out they were far better than the MPSS and I expect them to be much better in the wet (I'm keeping them to try as wet track tires on my GS track car). I think at the levels you can safely push a car on the street they're probably not giving up much to the MPSS but I did not get a chance to really push them yet.
- Is that because the OEM suspension is tuned for the extra sidewall stiffness (and rebound frequency) of the ZP, and losing that makes the car's reactions less predictable?

I have no qualms about driving inappropriate tires in the rain. The first 200+ miles I put on my ZR1 were on wet SoCal roads on SCs. Did break the rear tires loose during an aggressive 7-4 1/2-throttle downshift at 80mph, that was kind of funny. I think the ZR1 is fairly easy to catch with quick hands, but then I'm used to my modded Z4 MC which is reactive enough that I don't let other people drive it any more.

Last edited by Palantirion; 05-26-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying street tires for my ZR1, recommendations?