C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Factory undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 AM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Factory undercoating

I was looking underneath my ZR1 the other day and noticed a tar-like substance applied around various parts of the undercarriage.

I picked up my car in January at the Corvette Museum so I am assuming either the folks at factory or the Museum delivery guys applied it to prevent rust from potential winter driving.

Just curious if any other ZR1s out there have this applied underneath the cars. I will try to get a picture soon.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06
I was looking underneath my ZR1 the other day and noticed a tar-like substance applied around various parts of the undercarriage.

I picked up my car in January at the Corvette Museum so I am assuming either the folks at factory or the Museum delivery guys applied it to prevent rust from potential winter driving.

Just curious if any other ZR1s out there have this applied underneath the cars. I will try to get a picture soon.
Maybe sealer/glue between panels? The aluminum frame is treated to prevent oxidization.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 AM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wonder if that is rust?

Here are some pictures of multiple black goopy stuff underneath my car. I also wonder if that's rust in the last picture.

Perhaps I am somewhat OCD but if the black stuff is adhesive then it looks like the people who applied it just let it drip out and solidify without cleaning it up a little.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

That is a sealant. Totally normal on these cars and previous generations of corvettes (c5’s and c6’s). It’s the assembly epoxy. The last picture is your exhaust system. That also looks normal.
The following users liked this post:
CaddyJimz06 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think that would be structural adhesive. Glue, in other words. It reduces squeaks and rattles and helps stiffen the body a little. GM may have discovered how useful this was when, in order to make up for excessive manufacturing tolerances in late run Firebirds (I think) caused by worn out stamping bucks (if that is the correct name), they started using adhesive and then discovered that the chassis being built were stiffer than the previous years built without the adhesive. In your case, it just looks like somebody was a little careless and applied too much. You could trim it off with a razor blade or knife.
The following users liked this post:
CaddyJimz06 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06

Wonder if that is rust?

Here are some pictures of multiple black goopy stuff underneath my car. I also wonder if that's rust in the last picture.

Perhaps I am somewhat OCD but if the black stuff is adhesive then it looks like the people who applied it just let it drip out and solidify without cleaning it up a little.
“B” team guys named gomer and his cousin goober temporarily promoted from sweeping floors and cleaning the plant urinals to the assembly line schlepping too much of that sealant on the car. trying hard to do a good job. They work at the local filling station on the weekends putting points and plugs in the sheriffs 1964 Ford galaxy equipped with the police pursuit package to chase down c7z’s.

While The “a” team guys are off getting trained on assembly of the c8.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-09-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
aaslanmd (06-10-2019), CaddyJimz06 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Not only completely normal any c5 -c7 looks like that. Used to bond the panels to frame.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory undercoating

Quick Reply: Factory undercoating