C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Aftermarket exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 586 Likes on 517 Posts

You shouldn't have any warranty issues from an exhaust. Never have heard one customer say they have had any issues..

-Josh
Old 06-15-2019, 01:09 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deshapiro
Does anybody know for a fact that an exhaust, in any iteration, doesn’t void the engine warranty? I’m not talking internet keyboard commandos referencing the Magnusen-Moss Act.
i mean is there solid info?
Asking because I’d love the full Akrapovic system.

David
Also consider your state laws that may haunt you at inspection. In MA (my home state) anything other than stock is prohibited, CA even has dB level baked in laws.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 PM
scottss
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

So I think I remember that guys were running headers BEFORE tuning was available without issues...is that the case? Does the ZR1 ECU compensate a/f ratio somehow? I really dont want to tune this car but am looking forward to possible mods. Still planning on corsa although Akra does sound tempting with headers. A few guys have said that the sound of Akra is intoxicating but the volume didn’t go up dramatically. Corsa seems to up both.

scott
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

After just 900 miles of driving with the stock ZR1 exhaust system, I was able to get the Borla x-pipe from my old 2015 Z06 installed this past weekend. First, I have to say, the stock ZR1 system sounds great, it's a huge improvement over the Z06 system. I'd say the volume of the ZR1 was about equal to my Z06 with the x-pipe but with a more aggressive note and the addition of crackles and pops on decel, which I love.

The ZR1 with the Borla x-pipe just sounds insane now. There is an overall increase in volume, but the exhaust note itself also got even nastier. The cracks and pops when you downshift or decelerate are just out of this world. It really feels like you're driving a GTLM car to work. The good news is when you put the NPP into Tour mode, it still quiets itself completely, even in 7th gear on the highway. So there is really no downside to this mod that I can see. Also, there is typically a 15-20hp bump from removing the secondary cats, so that's an added bonus! Eventually, I'll go the headers/pulley/intake/tune route, but for now, as far a "free" mods go since I already had the pipe, I couldn't be happier. Anyone looking for some more noise from their ZR1 without spending a lot of money should definitely consider this.

Here's a super quick video of some revs (only to about 4k rpm) after I had the pipe installed. I can tell you when you're out driving and really putting some heat/fuel into the exhaust, the pops are way louder!
The following 3 users liked this post by BillY2KFRC:
Basil2000 (11-28-2020), dee zed (06-18-2019), scottss (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
After just 900 miles of driving with the stock ZR1 exhaust system, I was able to get the Borla x-pipe from my old 2015 Z06 installed this past weekend. First, I have to say, the stock ZR1 system sounds great, it's a huge improvement over the Z06 system. I'd say the volume of the ZR1 was about equal to my Z06 with the x-pipe but with a more aggressive note and the addition of crackles and pops on decel, which I love.

The ZR1 with the Borla x-pipe just sounds insane now. There is an overall increase in volume, but the exhaust note itself also got even nastier. The cracks and pops when you downshift or decelerate are just out of this world. It really feels like you're driving a GTLM car to work. The good news is when you put the NPP into Tour mode, it still quiets itself completely, even in 7th gear on the highway. So there is really no downside to this mod that I can see. Also, there is typically a 15-20hp bump from removing the secondary cats, so that's an added bonus! Eventually, I'll go the headers/pulley/intake/tune route, but for now, as far a "free" mods go since I already had the pipe, I couldn't be happier. Anyone looking for some more noise from their ZR1 without spending a lot of money should definitely consider this.

Here's a super quick video of some revs (only to about 4k rpm) after I had the pipe installed. I can tell you when you're out driving and really putting some heat/fuel into the exhaust, the pops are way louder!
Which model number Borla x pipe did you install? I keep saying I am going to leave my ZR1 stock but like that crackle and pop....

How much was the x pipe?

D.

Last edited by ZR-1DUDE; 06-18-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Which model number Borla x pipe did you install? I keep saying I am going to leave my ZR1 stock but like that crackle and pop....

How much was the x pipe?

D.
It's 60547. I paid $300 used on the forum last year, I think they are like $450 new, but I'm not actually sure if Borla still produces it. They pop up in C7 Parts for Sale all the time though. Corsa also makes a very similar part which I believe you can purchase new. The shop only charged me 1 hour labor for the install too, super easy to swap. It probably takes longer to remove the skid plate than it does to swap the x-pipes. I say go for it!
Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 PM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by scottss
So I think I remember that guys were running headers BEFORE tuning was available without issues...is that the case? Does the ZR1 ECU compensate a/f ratio somehow? I really dont want to tune this car but am looking forward to possible mods. Still planning on corsa although Akra does sound tempting with headers. A few guys have said that the sound of Akra is intoxicating but the volume didn’t go up dramatically. Corsa seems to up both.

scott
I am running headers without a tune. Get the occasional O2 sensor code, but clear it and move on. Not a big deal.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:12 PM
scottss
Racer

Originally Posted by txoutdoors
I am running headers without a tune. Get the occasional O2 sensor code, but clear it and move on. Not a big deal.
Are you not concerned at all about the a/f ratio? Have you had it dyno’d to verify everything is in check?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 PM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by scottss
Are you not concerned at all about the a/f ratio? Have you had it dyno’d to verify everything is in check?
It has been dyno'd and nothing concerning came up.
The following users liked this post:
scottss (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC

7th gear , what speed ? I dont use anything past 5th day to day driving spirited of course
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Hey Scottss

I've had my ZR for 6 months now. The first thing I did was add the WeaponX package and when I did it I also installed a Corsa DoubleX pipe. That got rid of the rear cats and improved the exhaust note considerably. The WeaponX performance parts are worth every penny. And make sure you get rid of Chevy's corrugated dryer hose and get the WeaponX laminar flow intake pipe between your cold air box and the throttle body.

Then I actually heard an AKRAPOVIC on a ZR. Absolutely awesome and the fact that it reacts to NPP modes is a big plus on longer drives (no droning) plus I can always use another 20 horses

So, after kicking it around for about a month I ordered mine today from Josh at Meraki.

I was also getting sick of cleaning the exhaust tips of the stock exhaust on a daily basis and those big azz Akra fiber tips are awesome.

Yeah... I had to suck it in a little bit but the Meraki's forum price is the best one you're gonna find. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 06-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
MerakiAutoworks (06-21-2019), scottss (06-18-2019), WzUpDoc (06-19-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dee zed
7th gear , what speed ? I dont use anything past 5th day to day driving spirited of course
7th gear is typically only for 75mph+ cruising. If traffic is fluctuating between 65 and 75 as it often does, I'll just leave it in 6th. But if I'm just staying a steady speed for 30 miles straight driving to work, no reason to use more revs than I need. Then I'll drop it 5 gears when I hit my favorite off-ramp.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 PM
scottss
Racer

Just got my car back from installing Corsa extreme + X pipe. WONDERFUL sound and a little louder than stock. I have to admit that the engineers did make the stock setup very loud...I was a little shocked that the corsa setup wasn’t a lot louder. Corsa really cleaned up the tone while upping the volume a bit. I really don’t want to tune this car....I prefer to enjoy the warranty for a while....BUT I have a feeling that I will need headers to get to my target volume level lol. For the price of corsa w/X pipe plus install ($2100+300) I am happy with the results....for now.

Scott

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust options