C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

CTF ZR1 - Would you be weary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM
05ls7gto
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default CTF ZR1 - Would you be weary?

Posting this thread to gather thoughts/feelings from the C7 community, especially those whom already own a C7 ZR1. I found a early production (CTF) ZR1 listed on these forums that a dealership is now selling, it is a combination very close to what I have been looking for. The car is an Admiral Blue Coupe, 3ZR Trim Package, M7 Transmission, and Competition Seats - it's missing the ZTK package and doesn't have chrome wheels, but both of those can be easily changed.

I researched the vehicle in the CAC registry and found that the car was built in January 2018 and confirmed that it was a CTF vehicle. The dealership informed me that the car has an in-service date of February 2018 (meaning warranty is active), and is currently sitting at ~1500 miles. I inquired about the car was utilized by GM and was informed it was a track demo car and it was run at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, unsure how this can be confirmed/denied. While I understand that these vehicles were designed for track usage it is still disconcerting as there is no telling how hard it was pushed and the condition of mechanicals (such as the clutch).

I also inquired about the service history of the vehicle and was told there were only (2) service records: the first being recall work relative to the airbag modules and the second relative to the bi-modal exhausts. I did not receive a physical document or screen capture, just a verbal and written summary, if I really wanted to pursue further I could go to a local GM dealership to look into it. Either way, this was another concern for me as there is no record of oil changes, especially the 500 mile break-in oil change. I'm unsure how GM corporate handles maintenance of these CTF vehicles and if it is recorded, but seeing that the vehicle is ~1.5 years old and has such mileage is should have at least had two oil changes by now.

I did some research on the forums to find history of other members purchasing CTF vehicles and most seemed like good experiences, however I didn't see any detailed accounts about the vehicle's history with GM prior to the owner (forum member) posting. It appears that there is no concerns with build quality in the CTF vehicles since they are part of the production run, but some wear/tear from use should be anticipated.

The dealership is selling the vehicle as new (never titled) but with the in-service warranty ticking away, and they are offering it as a discount from MSRP. I have not proceeded with any type of negotiation past their advertised price since I do not want to waste their time nor mine.

In summary, the way I feel about the situation is as follows:
Pros
"Rare" vehicle with low VIN / GM Test Vehicle
Lowest Production Color
Nearly Identical to Desired Spec
Untitled (Would Be 1-Owner Vehicle)
Opportunity to get a great deal

Cons
Vehicle was supposedly used for track use by GM
Shortened Warranty Period
Unknown service history

Curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this. Thanks for reading!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:13 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 762 Likes on 357 Posts

These are track cars. It would take a lot to do anything to the clutch. Buy it and have them throw in the extended warranty and enjoy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by 94Lt1Vette:
BearZ06 (06-27-2019), patron1992 (06-27-2019), veech (05-12-2022)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:15 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

i would find out you would be able to do the RON FELLOWS ZR1 DRIVING SCHOOL this vin # may not qualify for it ,that alone is about a $3500 class ,but as far as tracking it i wouldn't worry
Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 PM
05ls7gto
Instructor

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
These are track cars. It would take a lot to do anything to the clutch. Buy it and have them throw in the extended warranty and enjoy it.
I asked about the potential of reinstating the B2B warranty but was told it wouldn’t be likely, which I figured. I’m not one to pay for extended or third party warranties.

Originally Posted by foot 1
i would find out you would be able to do the RON FELLOWS ZR1 DRIVING SCHOOL this vin # may not qualify for it ,that alone is about a $3500 class ,but as far as tracking it i wouldn't worry
That was another question I asked, and was told by the dealer it still qualifies. This could just be a salesman being a salesman, I’d have to contact the driving school directly to confirm if I do decide to pursue further.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls7gto
I asked about the potential of reinstating the B2B warranty but was told it wouldn’t be likely, which I figured. I’m not one to pay for extended or third party warranties.

That was another question I asked, and was told by the dealer it still qualifies. This could just be a salesman being a salesman, I’d have to contact the driving school directly to confirm if I do decide to pursue further.
Just call Spring Mountain and have them look plug the VIN into the GM owner school website. They can tell you if it's good.

Les Stanford has three new ones for sale. Go to the for sale section and check it out.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 06-27-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,326 Likes on 769 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Make them throw in the full warranty+some extended warranty and buy the car!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Ninetres
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m not so certain adding the ZTK parts is as easy as you make it sound. Aside from astronomical expense if you bought all the parts.....the suspension is different, and even sourcing the parts might be an issue. I’ve heard rumors that getting OEM replacement carbon parts isn’t easy as they aren’t available.
The following users liked this post:
FringbirdAloha (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Yeah like the people still waiting for wings....
Old 06-27-2019, 07:55 PM
05ls7gto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ninetres
I’m not so certain adding the ZTK parts is as easy as you make it sound. Aside from astronomical expense if you bought all the parts.....the suspension is different, and even sourcing the parts might be an issue. I’ve heard rumors that getting OEM replacement carbon parts isn’t easy as they aren’t available.
I'm aware of the suspension and tire differences; I wouldn't be using the ZR1 for track use - just a street driven car where I'd only change the wing. Would end up getting the WeaponX spoiler and mounts, or possibly trade wings with a forum member if someone were interested.

Last edited by 05ls7gto; 06-27-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Ben@WeaponX (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Is this the Admiral Blue one you are looking at?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...05-9433-a.html

Love that color. It is a rare combo..

Wheels are easy.

If you just want the look of the other wing - Weaponx is a reasonable answer.

This one looks good also:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-criswell.html

Not Admiral Blue but still blue and will be a rare one.

I guess a handful of things come to mind.

Are you getting the $3K off of it in that price? I would assume yes since they are treating it as new.

Extended warranty aren't a huge expense. Bumper to bumper is better but at the right price - it wouldn't be a deal killer.

Not an easy call, but I think you are looking at the right things.

On the oil change, I would ask them to do one at time of purchase to be sure it got done.

Another interest point - it says in the manual that break in not to do any track time until 1500 miles. It has 1508 miles. May want to have all the fluids changed and make sure the warranty hasn't been flagged.

D.
Ben@WeaponX (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:47 AM
Ninetres
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

FWIW it’s worth I bought my ZR1 from Tim at FH Daily and am happy with the transaction. He’s a straight shooter. I feel like he will get anything within reason done for you to be happy with the deal. He did for me.

Last edited by Ninetres; 06-28-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by 05ls7gto
I'm aware of the suspension and tire differences; I wouldn't be using the ZR1 for track use - just a street driven car where I'd only change the wing. Would end up getting the WeaponX spoiler and mounts, or possibly trade wings with a forum member if someone were interested.
The wings are not meant to be interchangeable. The cars were designed the way they are for reasons.
FringbirdAloha (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM
Jack-TX
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

If you really want a ZTK car, then pass on this one and dont look back. However, if you are not going to track the car and dont care about the ZTK pkg - at 1500 miles I wouldn't worry at all, but I would subtract the cost of a WeaponX wing/bracket, ask for a oil change, make the offer... and get to driving the ZR1....

Last edited by Jack-TX; 06-28-2019 at 09:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jack-TX:
BearZ06 (06-28-2019), Ben@WeaponX (06-28-2019), FringbirdAloha (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:39 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

One of my Z06’s was one of those early production GM test cars (with way more miles than the ZR1 you’re looking at) and it was perfect mechanically. Never had a single issue. Probably abused a few times but nothing the car couldn’t take. it had some scratches on the side skirts where a few people had hit it with their shoes exiting the vehicle and there was a tear in the steering wheel leather that the dealer fixed under warranty. But all in all, it never gave me any issues.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I am wondering about the “track car” claim... GM requires the car have 1,500 miles of “break-in” BEFORE first track session. Also requires diff fluid be changed immediately after first track day. If car only has 1,500 miles now then it suggests that the proper maintenance and track procedures weren’t followed... could become a warranty issue later?

Service history should have shown oil change at 500 miles, diff fluid change after first track session, etc..

Make some additional inquiries.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM
05ls7gto
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Is this the Admiral Blue one you are looking at?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...05-9433-a.html

Love that color. It is a rare combo..

Wheels are easy.

If you just want the look of the other wing - Weaponx is a reasonable answer.

This one looks good also:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-criswell.html

Not Admiral Blue but still blue and will be a rare one.

I guess a handful of things come to mind.

Are you getting the $3K off of it in that price? I would assume yes since they are treating it as new.

Extended warranty aren't a huge expense. Bumper to bumper is better but at the right price - it wouldn't be a deal killer.

Not an easy call, but I think you are looking at the right things.

On the oil change, I would ask them to do one at time of purchase to be sure it got done.

Another interest point - it says in the manual that break in not to do any track time until 1500 miles. It has 1508 miles. May want to have all the fluids changed and make sure the warranty hasn't been flagged.

D.
That is indeed the car, I won't be posting cost specifics since nothing is set in stone - but they are working with me. I do not want to finalize any type of deal until they can clarify several factors about the vehicle - including it's past at GM and service history.

As you noted there is a slough of other ZR1s available, including ELB vehicles - however I will only settle for a Admiral Blue vehicle. I initially had an allocation that never came to fruition for such a vehicle and I ended up changing it to Shadow Gray after the August cut-off date, but I ended up just pulling out of the "order" overall since I got tired of the waiting game.

Originally Posted by Ninetres
FWIW it’s worth I bought my ZR1 from Tim at FH Daily and am happy with the transaction. He’s a straight shooter. I feel like he will get anything within reason done for you to be happy with the deal. He did for me.
From what I am being told Tim Boone is no longer with FH Dailey Chevrolet, I wish I were dealing with him though.

Originally Posted by Questar
I am wondering about the “track car” claim... GM requires the car have 1,500 miles of “break-in” BEFORE first track session. Also requires diff fluid be changed immediately after first track day. If car only has 1,500 miles now then it suggests that the proper maintenance and track procedures weren’t followed... could become a warranty issue later?

Service history should have shown oil change at 500 miles, diff fluid change after first track session, etc..

Make some additional inquiries.
I have sent them a laundry list of questions that I wanted responses in writing, currently awaiting responses. Unsure how I can approach the history at GM and supposed lack of service history, but I am going to a local dealership to run the VIN myself to see what I can find... If there is truly no service history I am going to ask for some form of written statement regarding the warranty - I definitely do not want to deal with a voided warranty due to a lack of service history that was outside of my control.

The disconcerting part is a salesman being a typical salesman (I will not put names publicly). I told the person I was working with that the lack of oil change history is concerning, and I received an email stating that "I just talked to corporate and that 500 mile break in period oil change is recommended, but not a requirement." - I immediately called him out on that and quoted the Owner's Manual that states it is required for Dry Sump equipped vehicles (aka all ZR1s)... He didn't acknowledge that correspondence though. Similarly I quoted the text about the 1500 mile period before tracking the vehicle.

Perhaps they told me that it was a vehicle used for track use as it would be a "cool factor" to help sell it, not knowing it would have the total opposite affect. One of the items on my inquiry is their "proof" or backup of the vehicle's history that I was told of.

Get notified of new replies

To CTF ZR1 - Would you be weary?

Quick Reply: CTF ZR1 - Would you be weary?