Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

XPEL or Suntek?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM
JG853
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default XPEL or Suntek?

Which is better to use?

Does either "yellow"?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM
BillY2KFRC
CF Senior Member

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't have personal experience with Suntek, but have had 3 cars fully wrapped in Xpel by Automobilia in West Haven, CT. The newest Xpel Ultimate material is fantastic. Even on black, you still get perfect clarity and see no marring or swirls in the material after repeated washes. The material is self-healing, so if you lightly scuff it, just park the car in the sun or lightly use a heat gun and it'll smooth right back out. None of the newer Xpel or Suntek stuff should ever yellow. The installer is the most important piece of the puzzle though. Make sure you go to a respected shop with many positive reviews, do your research in this area. Also ask them about their warranty; it's good to have that piece of mine should a piece of material peel or develop any bubbles/issues with how much these full-wrap jobs cost!

Here are some pics of my car from Barrett Jackson Northeast fully wrapped and coated with Xpel Fusion ceramic coating. I also have the Xpel window tints.

The following 2 users liked this post by BillY2KFRC:
orclubduck (07-11-2019), XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 197 Posts

Ask to see a vehicle that the company has done before. If they use a needle that is too large to pop air bubbles they won't heal and will always be noticeable. Also, make sure they wrap the material around the edges, not just on top surface. If you ceramic coat you need to make sure you get several coats. The Xpel seems to absorb it from the surface. I learned this from my own experience and asking around at the various installers. Don't know anything about Suntek but my Xpel looks decent for the 7 months I have had it.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM
thebishman
CF Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 246 Posts

Used to be said that Suntek was easier to apply as itís 6 mil thick versus the Xpel that is 8 mil, and that the Suntek was slightly optically clearer. However I have always had Xpel installed and have been very pleased.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,059 Posts

My current car has Xpel ultimate. My 19 coming in early september will have suntek. My installer uses bith wants ke to go with suntek. Optically more appealing. So I'll try it out.

Hoping it's as good or better. Time will tell.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 AM
JG853
CF Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your help.

Did each of you get your whole car covered? I am thinking the whole front (Bumper, splitter, hood, front fenders), Rockers, Rear Quarter Panels - Should I cover the doors too?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 AM
BillY2KFRC
CF Senior Member

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help.

Did each of you get your whole car covered? I am thinking the whole front (Bumper, splitter, hood, front fenders), Rockers, Rear Quarter Panels - Should I cover the doors too?
I did the entire car. From what you have listed, definitely add the doors. The whole sides of the car get pelted, especially if you run the Cup 2 tires. You may also want to consider the roof panel and A-pillars as well. The leading edge of the roof is nice target for rocks.
XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 AM
JG853
CF Senior Member

Thanks Billy! I choose XPel Ultimate Plus - I will ask how much more the for A-Pillars and the Roof.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post
I did the entire car. From what you have listed, definitely add the doors. The whole sides of the car get pelted, especially if you run the Cup 2 tires. You may also want to consider the roof panel and A-pillars as well. The leading edge of the roof is nice target for rocks.
XPEL (07-15-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XPEL or Suntek?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: