Has anyone went from Z06 to Eray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:52 PM
mmthomas
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Don't be offended

I never said the z06 is better that would be silly. I said it's more special. No denying that.

Both great cars though
No offense taken

in the grand scheme of things, it’s not any more “special” to anyone other than you. And I’m glad it’s special to you!

flap plane, crank, and some extra valves versus an electric motor with torque vectoring who is to say, which is more special? Not me.

And iTs just silly….. we are fortunate to have these platforms available to us to enjoy, experiment with, gets spanked by a more special plaid and continue on the quest for pleasure!!

Old 05-14-2024, 12:53 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,219 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mmthomas
Awesome!! .How long have you owned your Z06 and how many miles? Thanks for not telling me how very special it is....glad you love it!!
Delivered the very end of December, so it sat for a couple of months before I could really drive it and get it broken in. I've got 2500 miles on it now, and I absolutely love it. I've had 12 Corvettes, all gens from C4-C8 including most performance variants (and have driven all the performance variants of every gen), and the C8 Z06 is the biggest difference from a "base" (including Z51 in that) to a performance variant (GS/Z06/ZR1) that I've ever experienced. The sound and rev range from the LT6 is absolutely incredible! Yes, the car is stiff, probably at the limit of what most will find acceptable in a street car (and mine's not Z07), but it does exactly what I wanted, which is to feel like an "event" every time I drive the car. I don't know that I'd want to live with it from a daily driver (Stingray/Eray would be the choice there), but for a 3rd car, it's absolutely something special.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanZR1:
gmarcucio (05-15-2024), mmthomas (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:27 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,300 Likes on 2,217 Posts

No offense taken

in the grand scheme of things, it’s not any more “special” to anyone other than you. And I’m glad it’s special to you!

flap plane, crank, and some extra valves versus an electric motor with torque vectoring who is to say, which is more special? Not me.

And iTs just silly….. we are fortunate to have these platforms available to us to enjoy, experiment with, gets spanked by a more special plaid and continue on the quest for pleasure!!

Proof is in the pudding mang. There was NO hype that out hyped the awesome hype machine, the z06

I actually can't wait for a plaid version of the corvette. I'm a fan of EV's so i'm ok with that
Old 05-15-2024, 05:14 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 699 Posts

Awesome!! .How long have you owned your Z06 and how many miles? Thanks for not telling me how very special it is....glad you love it!!
About 8k in 1.25 years on my Z06.

Concur with Evan's description about why I like the car so much more than my stingray, but I also concur with your 3 hour comment if the car is left in sport mode. I normally manually shift, keep the suspension in sport but the exhaust in tour except when getting on the car (e.g., back roads) when I switch to sport exhaust too. Also, on long trips, I'll switch to automatic shift, tour ride and stealth exhaust if it is a long section of interstate (>40 miles) and cruise control is on. The car is fairly wife friendly at that point. I drive a lot with the top down, so in tour I can hear the exhaust and the rage, without making people 6 blocks away know I coming when I'm in slow city traffic.

I would like to compare ride to an e-ray because on the interstate I think it is the tire noise that wears me down more than the suspension. The e-ray is a tad softer ride, but I wonder if the tire noise is reduced on the A/S. The A/S tires appeal to me for use in cooler weather and if they're quieter, that's a bonus. My C8 Z51 was surprisingly good on the highway. I noticed tire noise, but not as much as my Z06. The Z06's extra couple inches of tire width produces more noise.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:23 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Although I don't Track, have fun in safe places making high "g" turns. This is Pic, superimposed from my PDR, in my C8 Z51 with MRC. Plan to see what the E-Ray, with Torque Vectoring, can accomplish on this turn!
The PDR shows you're not high in the rpms, so your car should be broken-in enough to test the e-ray and see if you can exceed the 1.3G. It may be that you don't exceed the max G, but you should be able to come out of the corner faster with AWD. If you have enough old PDR data, you may be to measure point to point time (e.g., 300' before the turn to 800' after) and see the speed delta of the e-ray versus your stingray.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:50 PM
Harvey Gluck's Son
Racer

Received 383 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

I would like to compare ride to an e-ray because on the interstate I think it is the tire noise that wears me down more than the suspension. The e-ray is a tad softer ride, but I wonder if the tire noise is reduced on the A/S. The A/S tires appeal to me for use in cooler weather and if they're quieter, that's a bonus. My C8 Z51 was surprisingly good on the highway. I noticed tire noise, but not as much as my Z06. The Z06's extra couple inches of tire width produces more noise.
The tire noise is certainly less but not by a crazy amount. For around town…for me…the Eray is a just a better fit. I love the torque down low….
The following users liked this post:
GOLD72 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The PDR shows you're not high in the rpms, so your car should be broken-in enough to test the e-ray and see if you can exceed the 1.3G. It may be that you don't exceed the max G, but you should be able to come out of the corner faster with AWD. If you have enough old PDR data, you may be to measure point to point time (e.g., 300' before the turn to 800' after) and see the speed delta of the e-ray versus your stingray.
Oh I have almost 1500 miles. Close to using Launch Control to see how much I can best the 2.5 seconds I have done a number of times, one with my ~190 lb cousin in the car! He has a Porsche Carrera 4S and was impressed at the acceleration at launch. Front comes up more than my prior C8 Z51.

Have made that turn many times as it's on my way back from town on back roads. But I am following what Mario Andretti said when someone asked him if he was every scared when going flat out at Indy. He said always! You start out well under max speed and each lap in testing you get your mind to accept higher speeds gradually! I'll creep up on it!

Old 05-15-2024, 07:47 PM
ZachZ06
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Oh I have almost 1500 miles. Close to using Launch Control to see how much I can best the 2.5 seconds I have done a number of times, one with my ~190 lb cousin in the car! He has a Porsche Carrera 4S and was impressed at the acceleration at launch. Front comes up more than my prior C8 Z51.

Have made that turn many times as it's on my way back from town on back roads. But I am following what Mario Andretti said when someone asked him if he was every scared when going flat out at Indy. He said always! You start out well under max speed and each lap in testing you get your mind to accept higher speeds gradually! I'll creep up on it!
2.5 second 0-60? Did you use the draggy, or is that time from the onboard timer? Onboard timer isnt accurate in any C8, and that includes the Z06 and Eray.

On another note, I got the phone call to order an eRay if I still wanted it, but I decided to keep my Z06/Z07 instead. So some other lucky individual can thank me for bowing out.
Still #1 on my dealers list for the ZR1 and the Zora, if they even make one.
The following users liked this post:
tadda (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachZ06
2.5 second 0-60? Did you use the draggy, or is that time from the onboard timer? Onboard timer isnt accurate in any C8, and that includes the Z06 and Eray.

On another note, I got the phone call to order an eRay if I still wanted it, but I decided to keep my Z06/Z07 instead. So some other lucky individual can thank me for bowing out.
Still #1 on my dealers list for the ZR1 and the Zora, if they even make one.
It's a relative number. GM is no doubt doing what the magazines all do, include 1 foot rollout! Hopefully like I used 23 years ago (and still have) my G-Tech that started timing with a simple accelerometer. Very accurate, instantaneous, good to thousands of a second. No need to find satellites etc.

In GM's case you just subtract a fixed number for estimated rollout. I matched what Car & Driver published in their test with their V-Box, 2.5 seconds that includes 1-foot rollout. Now all I care about is the relative number with Lauch Control when I pass 1500 miles and will try. Not planning on submitting to the Gunness Book of Records so the actual number is not important. It's the delta time for changes I make is all I care about. As Einstein would say, "It's All Relative!"

Quick Reply: Has anyone went from Z06 to Eray?