Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could the "Zora" be GM's Answer to the Ford GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 PM
C Moe
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Could the "Zora" be GM's Answer to the Ford GT?

Let’s face it, the all-new C7 Z06 is easily the most impressive piece of performance hardware to ever come from GM. If you go nuts with the options list, the differences between the Z06 and the C7.R racer come down to essentially the interior trim—except for the fact that the Z06 has more*horsepower than the race car.

With more power and performance than even the last-gen ZR1, where can Corvette go from here? What kind of voodoo will GM have to perform to make a car better than this?

To be completely honest, I'm not sure the General can push the Corvette any farther in its current form. The Z06 is already a supercar killer in its own right, but to make a business case for a new-generation ZR1, etc., horsepower ratings will have to climb into the 700 range. If that becomes the case, the Corvette is playing in a whole new league of supercar royalty. Suddenly this isn't a car that is "almost as fast as a Ferrari 458." Instead, it begins to stare machines like the Lamborghini Aventador and Ferrari F12berlinetta in the face.

Take a moment and step back from your Corvette love. Can you honestly imagine a world where GM could merely add some horsepower and a touch more carbon fiber to the Corvette, and call it an F12 competitor? I’m having a really hard time envisioning that, but let’s say GM only took the engine from the Corvette and used it to make a new car. This is where things get*interesting.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

1. That rendering above is pure butt ugly.

2. It takes more than just HP to be "supercar royalty."

3. Aspiring to be the next Ford GT isn't aiming very high. How many did they sell and how often do you see one?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry but that ugly sketch does not hold a candle to the Ford GT, I do not care how much power it has.

I do think it would be interesting if GM tried to create something above the Vette, honestly I think it would be a smart move, but I am not sure the cost would be worth the risk.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
1. That rendering above is pure butt ugly.

2. It takes more than just HP to be "supercar royalty."

3. Aspiring to be the next Ford GT isn't aiming very high. How many did they sell and how often do you see one?
And that's the reason they keep going up in price. I sure wish I would have bought one years back in the low $100's.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Corvette, to those who work on them at GM, is a low volume vehicle. Low volume vehicles are always at risk if sales are poor. Why would GM want to duplicate the scenario? One is enough IMHO.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

An unnecessary and unfortunate-looking car. It would serve little purpose as a developmental bed for the C8, and draw resources from much more critically-needed programs to ensure the long-term viability of Chevrolet and General Motors. In other words, it makes little or no business sense . . . and in my opinion, it just doesn't have enough "wow factor" potential to trump that decision. While in the arena of automotive bragging rights, cars like this are accompanied by the sounds of descending zippers and the dropping of pants, you don't get and can't sustain your position at that table by answering a question no one asked.

In short, GM doesn't need this car. It would be very expensive, serve little or no purpose, generate little or no revenue, plus (and this is critically important) . . . What do you do if it fails, and doesn't win? And not just win, but DOMINATE. It would appear to have more potential for drain than halo. I'll pass.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by c moe

let’s face it, the all-new c7 z06 is easily the most impressive piece of performance hardware to ever come from gm. If you go nuts with the options list, the differences between the z06 and the c7.r racer come down to essentially the interior trim—except for the fact that the z06 has more*horsepower than the race car.
Except the 'race car is a whole lot lighter weight
with more power and performance than even the last-gen zr1, where can corvette go from here? What kind of voodoo will gm have to perform to make a car better than this?
Big mistake that "thing is flat ugly and will become a "modern edsel"
to be completely honest, i'm not sure the general can push the corvette any farther in its current form. The z06 is already a supercar killer in its own right, but to make a business case for a new-generation zr1, etc., horsepower ratings will have to climb into the 700 range. If that becomes the case, the corvette is playing in a whole new league of supercar royalty. Suddenly this isn't a car that is "almost as fast as a ferrari 458." instead, it begins to stare machines like the lamborghini aventador and ferrari f12berlinetta in the face.

Take a moment and step back from your corvette love. Can you honestly imagine a world where gm could merely add some horsepower and a touch more carbon fiber to the corvette, and call it an f12 competitor? I’m having a really hard time envisioning that, but let’s say gm only took the engine from the corvette and used it to make a new car. This is where things get*interesting.

read the rest on the corvette forum homepage.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
And that's the reason they keep going up in price. I sure wish I would have bought one years back in the low $100's.
Agreed, I'd love to have one. They're great investments now, but didn't make much money for Ford at the time.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
An unnecessary and unfortunate-looking car. It would serve little purpose as a developmental bed for the C8, and draw resources from much more critically-needed programs to ensure the long-term viability of Chevrolet and General Motors. In other words, it makes little or no business sense . . . and in my opinion, it just doesn't have enough "wow factor" potential to trump that decision. While in the arena of automotive bragging rights, cars like this are accompanied by the sounds of descending zippers and the dropping of pants, you don't get and can't sustain your position at that table by answering a question no one asked.

In short, GM doesn't need this car. It would be very expensive, serve little or no purpose, generate little or no revenue, plus (and this is critically important) . . . What do you do if it fails, and doesn't win? And not just win, but DOMINATE. It would appear to have more potential for drain than halo. I'll pass.

Modern "EDSEL" !
Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Same here, I was following them then, but it was bad timing. They only stayed that low for a year or so, since then they have only gone up.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Ford GT died for a reason.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM
cporteraz
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding!

Had the chance to buy one from the original owner for 115K

They are double that and way more guys want one than were built!

Pure supply and demand (and a bit of speculation mixed in) exercise.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City
The Ford GT died for a reason.
Yup. There was no market for a $100k, uncomfortable, impractical, two seat race car with license plates.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yup. There was no market for a $100k, uncomfortable, impractical, two seat race car with license plates.
No, Ford didn't make any money on it.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM
gkwpnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. There was no market for a $100k, uncomfortable, impractical, two seat race car with license
plates.
The Ford GT sure has a huge aftermarket following these days and will continue to be a blue chip collectable as well as a relevant track car 10 years later.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford built the FGT to commemorate its 100 year anniversary and it was brilliant. The FGT did not die, they never planned even to build as many as they did but demand had them building more, now it is the most sought after car on the market that isn't a million dollars. Steve R I owned one for 3 years and it was far from uncomfortable, as a matter of fact it easily could have been a DD. I wish I never sold mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Could the "Zora" be GM's Answer to the Ford GT?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Ford built the FGT to commemorate its 100 year anniversary and it was brilliant. The FGT did not die, they never planned even to build as many as they did but demand had them building more, now it is the most sought after car on the market that isn't a million dollars. Steve R I owned one for 3 years and it was far from uncomfortable, as a matter of fact it easily could have been a DD. I wish I never sold mine.
Thank you....spot on. There are some ignorant posts in this thread.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

The most interesting part of the OP's posted article is the last two paragraphs not shown.

"GM recently trademarked the Zora name for potential use on automobiles. What if GM made a mid-engined supercar based on the Corvette and named it the Zora? Zora Arkus-Duntov is the godfather of the performance Corvette, and he chased several models of mid-engined cars. What name would be better for a mid-engine Corvette?

I know moving the engine from the front to the rear in a Corvette is a sin, but with the Zora name, Chevy wouldn’t need to soil the Corvette or Stingray names with this mid-engine monstrosity. Instead, it could*use the Zora badge to create an all-new era of small-block world domination. No longer would the Corvette name represent a*really fast car for a cheap price. Rather, it*could turn into a true world-renowned performance icon once again.

Let’s show those Italians what we are really made of, and beat them at their own game."

How much further can they go with C5-C7 platform and with no indication that a C7 ZR1 is in the works. It seems to me that the above approach could begin to push the Corvette, or a name (Zora?) under its banner, in a new direction, cautiously.

Being 70, I love what my C7 represents with its developed heritage over the generations. I just hope this could be a new area to explore. And the C8 would be left to continue having refinements with the Corvette nameplate.

What better way for the current Corvette Team Leadership to leave an everlasting mark near the end of their already successful careers. This could be exciting for all of us, both the younger enthusiasts and us that are a little older.

Edit: And that picture is definitely butt ugly IMO.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 07-15-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I owned one too. Wish I'd kept it for the investment value. Sorry, but for anything more than a few miles it was uncomfortable and inconvenient, but then comfort and convenience weren't what it was made for.

Originally Posted by redzone
Thank you....spot on. There are some ignorant posts in this thread.
Pot, meet kettle.

Quick Reply: Could the "Zora" be GM's Answer to the Ford GT?