Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Lutz Thinks Chevy Should Build a Mid-Engine 'Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Bob Lutz Thinks Chevy Should Build a Mid-Engine 'Vette

From a business perspective, a mid-engine Corvette just makes sense. Bob Lutz certainly seems to think so, and he offers up a pretty good argument on why Chevy needs to build the car.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

From a business perspective, a mid-engine Corvette just makes sense. Bob Lutz certainly seems to think so, and he offers up a pretty good argument on why Chevy needs to build the car.
If you read the original article -- he's in favor of building a mid-engine alongside the current layout, not in place of it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-corvette/

.... You'd have a front-engine car and you'd have a mid-engine car. It's become a very powerful subbrand, the most profitable per unit of all GM passenger cars (including Cadillac), so I think it would stand the mid-engine continuation of the front-engine car.

Instead of the old strategy, which was to replace the front-engine car, you'd do the Corvette in a mid-engine version. You'd price that at about $120,000, half that of the European stuff, and then suck the doors off everybody.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Dutch702
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice...finally thinkin out the GM box. Lets go back to the OG Vette inline 6 and do a Mid-Engine In-Line 6 Supercharged. Thats a cool mix of new n retro. Add a 7-speed manual and you got yourself one hell of a ride.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I agree and disagree (with the article).

GM can and should build a Halo high priced mid-engine version of the Corvette (Zora/ZR1) supercar. It could and would be priced less than other top tier exotics currently being produced and should be a show stealer in value as well as performance.

On the other hand, to say GM could not build a mid-engine C7 replacement priced for the masses is absurd. Alfa has a $55K carbon tub mid-engine car with excellent performance and handling characteristics in the 4C.

Certainly the GM brain trust can develop a C8 priced $10K-$15K more than Alfa ($53,900) or current C7 ($54,995) that would exceed current C7 performance and incorporate Mid-engine technology at a price current Corvette buyers could afford.

To infer mid engine design and reasonable pricing are exclusive of the other isn't tenable based on the Alfa 4C.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL..g.m. can't get a front engine right .
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch702
Nice...finally thinkin out the GM box. Lets go back to the OG Vette inline 6 and do a Mid-Engine In-Line 6 Supercharged. Thats a cool mix of new n retro. Add a 7-speed manual and you got yourself one hell of a ride.
I'm having a little difficulty processing your response: are you equating going to a rear mid-engine layout to going back to a straight six, and therefore anachronistic, or what? I, personally, would like to see what they could do with a more modern layout than what they have now.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
Hmmmm.....over a million and half Corvettes sold, boy, are those people suckers.

Jimmy
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I agree and disagree (with the article).

GM can and should build a Halo high priced mid-engine version of the Corvette (Zora/ZR1) supercar. It could and would be priced less than other top tier exotics currently being produced and should be a show stealer in value as well as performance.

On the other hand, to say GM could not build a mid-engine C7 replacement priced for the masses is absurd. Alfa has a $55K carbon tub mid-engine car with excellent performance and handling characteristics in the 4C.

Certainly the GM brain trust can develop a C8 priced $10K-$15K more than Alfa ($53,900) or current C7 ($54,995) that would exceed current C7 performance and incorporate Mid-engine technology at a price current Corvette buyers could afford.

To infer mid engine design and reasonable pricing are exclusive of the other isn't tenable based on the Alfa 4C.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong
I agree totally. This notion that mid-engine architecture is so expensive is just wrong. As we speak, we have the Boxster/Cayman, Lotus Evora, Alfa 4C (with a Carbon Fiber tub!!!), all WELL under $100,000.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-15-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Be Careful GM

A mid - engine Corvette may be just the ticket to help improve the track performance side of the car and its introduction will drive the price on my C7 higher on the used car market. But, it may also be a bust as a mid-engine car will lack the ability to meet the needs of most of Corvette owners who just happen to have a wife and happen to make long distance drives.

How will GM continue to give Corvette owners the cubic footage needed to hold my wife's 6 suitcases? No room for her needs means we buy (heaven forbid) a BMW or Cadillac...

Add the mid-engine car as a higher price model for the Boy Racers who may buy 10% of production but keep the current cars configuration for the other 90% of Corvette buyers..
Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quick99
A mid - engine Corvette may be just the ticket to help improve the track performance side of the car and its introduction will drive the price on my C7 higher on the used car market. But, it may also be a bust as a mid-engine car will lack the ability to meet the needs of most of Corvette owners who just happen to have a wife and happen to make long distance drives.

How will GM continue to give Corvette owners the cubic footage needed to hold my wife's 6 suitcases? No room for her needs means we buy (heaven forbid) a BMW or Cadillac...

Add the mid-engine car as a higher price model for the Boy Racers who may buy 10% of production but keep the current cars configuration for the other 90% of Corvette buyers..
Porsche Cayman has 15 cubic feet of luggage space between 5.3 under the hood and 9.7 under the hatch.

Jimmy
Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think it has a lot to do with built-in quality above a certain price point. Climb over a "perceived" dollar level in many/most minds, and even tech or design devotees will expect some things that are not performance. I'm not saying it can't be done....
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

does he think that cigar makes him look anything other than stupid?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM
vankenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why build a mid-engine corvette when you already have almost perfect balance?

although, it would be nice to have a front trunk
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

with ford bring out the new GT look what the first car did for ford . A limited mid engine Vette would be just the ticket !
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Torchzr1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just some thoughts about a Zora Special Covrette

At the 2013 Mid-American Funfest, all the GM engineering brass was on the stage for a question and answer with attendees. I asked them about a mid-engine Corvette and they were very vague and never answered my question. So I thought they were telling the truth or don't want the cat out of the bag.

I also questioned them as to when GM/Corvette would come out with some electric motors like we were seeing at Le Mans. At the Detroit Auto Show this week Acura announced they will be bring out a new NSX with a power train that would have electric and gas power.

So based on these developments, I would love to see a Zora Special with a 360 carbon fiber body, a mid-engine power plant supplemented by electric motors with a A8 transmission with massive amounts of downforce for about 120 to 150k. This would be the kind of car I would trade my 2012 ZR1 in for or I might keep it and have a front engine Corvette that set the standard for a Corvette Super Car and get this one to compliment it.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/thumbsup.gif
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well, his backing ought to kill it's sales success. Look what happened to the Sky and Solstice(his babies) and he Volt(also his baby).

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-15-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vankenn

You mean like the one cubic foot front trunk that the 2005 Ford GT had?

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Lutz Thinks Chevy Should Build a Mid-Engine 'Vette

Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by vankenn

The answer is the mid engine car will have a lower polar movement of inertia. In other words, the mid-engine car weight is more towards the center of the car versus a front engine car in which the weight is closer to the outside.The closer the weight is to the middle of the car the better handling the car will be.

Last edited by RussM05; 01-15-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
does he think that cigar makes him look anything other than stupid?
Agreed. He always has that thing sticking out of his mouth. He still thinks he's a pilot and it's somehow intimidating. He needs to go on a few more TV shows and do some pushups.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
I tend to think they nailed the front engine vehicle this time.

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz Thinks Chevy Should Build a Mid-Engine 'Vette