Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
MeHeartCorvettes
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 View Post
If it's a limited run and they produce the right amount.......500-1000/year for a specific # of years (2-3) they will have a long waiting list and sell every single one at $200K!
GM isn't in the limited production business. There's already talk of utilizing the platform across multiple brands to help increase production numbers (quite the opposite of "limited"). If anything, they'll stick to their tried and true program of offering a ZR1 option at ~25% above the Z06 and pump out as many as the market will bear (provided this ever comes to fruition). There are too many other options at and above $200k for the Corvette marque to have substantial success in that ballpark.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,771 Times in 914 Posts

<p>
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
Tadge has publicly stated that there is no mid-engine Corvette in development. That mule could be a Cadillac. Or a test bed for various technologies that might or might not see production some day. Or it could be something else entirely. Looks a lot like a pickup truck to me.
</p><p>I guess you have never had inside information. I have many times during my career. If asked, you deny unless you don't value your job.&nbsp;You don't lie, you just craft your response carefully so that it appears you have flat out denied it. For example, the mid-engined vehicle under development may not be called a Corvette. Thus, there is no mid-engine &quot;Corvette&quot;&nbsp;in development.</p><p>Yes, it looks like a pickup truck because the rest of the skin is a Holden truck. The cabin is clearly a C7 passenger compartment. Nobody is going to produce a mid-engine pickup truck.</p>
Old 09-03-2015, 10:59 PM
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes View Post
GM isn't in the limited production business. There's already talk of utilizing the platform across multiple brands to help increase production numbers (quite the opposite of "limited"). If anything, they'll stick to their tried and true program of offering a ZR1 option at ~25% above the Z06 and pump out as many as the market will bear (provided this ever comes to fruition). There are too many other options at and above $200k for the Corvette marque to have substantial success in that ballpark.
Neither is Ford, Acura, Audi (to a lesser extent) but Ford is producing a $300K Uber Car, Acura is producing a $180K Super Car and so is Audi. Besides in the big picture within GM, the Corvette is already a limited production car. If they make it, I have no doubt if they market it right and produce the right production #'s they will sell every single one!!

I know about 3-4 myself that would jump on an Uber Corvette with a Carbon Fiber Tub & body, Mid-Engine, DCT, All Wheel Drive with exotic looks and they would be more than happy to part away $200K for it. The Corvette name carries a lot of Cache to a it and has a very rich history. Just because it has the name "Chevrolet" in front of it shouldn't take away much of that.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 AM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,105 Times in 930 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 View Post
If it's a limited run and they produce the right amount.......500-1000/year for a specific # of years (2-3) they will have a long waiting list and sell every single one at $200K!
but even at that price, would it make money based on all the costs going in? I wonder.

"If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made. " Steve R

How about a Ford called GT?

Last edited by AORoads; 09-04-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:49 AM
alienranch
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made.
Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes View Post
with your agree
Old 09-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Black&White
CF Senior Member

If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made.
They almost HAVE to match Ford and Acura at this point. Hopefully it will be less but not less than the NSX.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,808 Times in 818 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Black&White View Post
They almost HAVE to match Ford at this point.
Why? While values of the first Ford GT have soared, it was a disaster for Ford at the time. There's a reason the GT was only made in small numbers for a very short time; they didn't sell well. Ford doesn't have anything like the Corvette, yet Chevrolet should "match" Ford? Good thing you're not running a car company.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Why? While values of the first Ford GT have soared, it was a disaster for Ford at the time. There's a reason the GT was only made in small numbers for a very short time; they didn't sell well. Ford doesn't have anything like the Corvette, yet Chevrolet should "match" Ford? Good thing you're not running a car company.
The original GT sold poorly because it was expensive and came out at the wrong time (do we all forget what happened in the mid-noughties?) The Viper has had the same issues (periods of lack-luster sales) and yet when it was killed there was such an uproar it was brought back.

BTW, a few things to note. The original Ford GT was killed due to bumper standards not for any other reason. Since then the NSX, R8, 4C and a host of other mid-engine cars have appeared on the market. Those of us who work at Ford were surprised the GT even existed, because we thought there is NO BUSINESS CASE! However there obviously is. Hence the reason for getting in the business.

Fact is the pent up demand for a Mid-Engine Corvette is there, if they sell 300 a year for 5 years the program is worth it.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
F4 Phantom
CF Senior Member

Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 AM
sharpgt
CF Senior Member

Obviously you would not but plenty of others will. Remember people paid over 200K for early FORD GTs back in 2005 and the new version is going to be closer to 500K. If the performance, engineering and looks are all there enough enthusiasts will look past the nameplate.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Boiler_81
CF Senior Member

The GT was always meant to be a halo vehicle. It was not expected to sell in large numbers. It may have fell short of expectations but it was not considered disaster at Ford.

During development of the GT, I was working on another Ford program for a tier one supplier. Some of my coworkers were working on the GT. I had the privilege of driving one of the development cars. I can say, it is the only Ford I have ever lusted after.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Nope.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
but even at that price, would it make money based on all the costs going in? I wonder.

"If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made. " Steve R

How about a Ford called GT?
Ultra Halo cars rarely make money for the manufacturer. I would guess there's a high chance that GM will produce an Uber Mid-Engine Corvette.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 AM
AUTO_X_AL
CF Senior Member

Default Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Neither is Ford, Acura, Audi (to a lesser extent) but Ford is producing a $300K Uber Car, Acura is producing a $180K Super Car and so is Audi. Besides in the big picture within GM, the Corvette is already a limited production car. If they make it, I have no doubt if they market it right and produce the right production #'s they will sell every single one!!

I know about 3-4 myself that would jump on an Uber Corvette with a Carbon Fiber Tub & body, Mid-Engine, DCT, All Wheel Drive with exotic looks and they would be more than happy to part away $200K for it. The Corvette name carries a lot of Cache to a it and has a very rich history. Just because it has the name "Chevrolet" in front of it shouldn't take away much of that.
Ford isn't building a super car, multimatic is.

Multimatic is building this car to Homologate it as a race car. That's it. That's why 250-500 will be built. Just like Fehan said, "they're building a race car and backing that into a production car. We sell 35000 units annually and that's not our model and not an option for us."

Corvette sells 35000 units annually at a reasonable margin and price. That's the only way we get this bang for the buck.

The ME car is coming. I'm just curious how it'll play into the volume model they currently have. I have to think that the bang for the buck performance model isn't going away because of the massive success it's had in recent years.

GM has NEVER built a Supervette on a separate platform from other Vettes. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out because I think that the whole line will be mid engine. This is based on a lot of rumblings around Detroit. I've also heard MY19 is the target as well. Oh yeah, being underpowered has already been identified as a concern as well. This was intriguing to me.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Heart of Missouri Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,731 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I just can't see a $200K Vette being all that popular with the competition in that price range.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:25 AM
kenw
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain View Post
When I picked up my Vert at the Museum August 12th...my "guide" was "Dan" who worked at the factory for 30 yrs. He knows Tadge personally and was told at the Corvette Bash by Tadge that as long as he (Tadge) is in charge of the Corvette...there will NEVER be a mid engine Corvette. His reasoning according to Dan was that we just about beat everything around us with a rear wheel car (C7r) and the costs involved in developing such a car vs the return are prohibitive....just thought I would pass it on.
This has been my argument against developing a mid-engine Corvette, what's the point???
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM
AUTO_X_AL
CF Senior Member

Default Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Originally Posted by kenw
This has been my argument against developing a mid-engine Corvette, what's the point???
The point is evolution. The Z06 has basically maxed the current platform out and really overdone it with the heat issues. ME will provide a better cooling solution as well as a better polar moment of inertia from a handling standpoint.

The competition won't stand still and sooner or later, you won't be beating everyone. If you still can sell 35000 units annually and amortize the cost of this platform over the next 20 years (like the c5 platform being the basis of the last 19 years of corvettes) then it becomes much more realistic.

I think it make sense from that perspective.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Motohead279
CF Senior Member

It is an interesting point about GT racing and homologation rules. If GM ever wanted to race a mid engine car in the GTE class then they would need to produce at least one car per week and make them available to the public for purchase. So a mid engine design would not just be about the customer market, but also have possible racing implications.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL View Post
Ford isn't building a super car, multimatic is.

Multimatic is building this car to Homologate it as a race car. That's it. That's why 250-500 will be built. Just like Fehan said, "they're building a race car and backing that into a production car. We sell 35000 units annually and that's not our model and not an option for us."

Corvette sells 35000 units annually at a reasonable margin and price. That's the only way we get this bang for the buck.

The ME car is coming. I'm just curious how it'll play into the volume model they currently have. I have to think that the bang for the buck performance model isn't going away because of the massive success it's had in recent years.

GM has NEVER built a Supervette on a separate platform from other Vettes. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out because I think that the whole line will be mid engine. This is based on a lot of rumblings around Detroit. I've also heard MY19 is the target as well. Oh yeah, being underpowered has already been identified as a concern as well. This was intriguing to me.
Yep, and I just heard from my guy that 2019 is the date now as well. This was yesterday. Previously it was 2017, but some delays have happened. Probably the C7 MCE refresh for 2018 has gotten priority as well as some sorta super 65th anniversary version, parts had to be changed because the Z06 is getting a larger pulley and they need more belt clearance.

For the C7 generation the ME is only for the ZR1 and a Cadillac Super Car. The C8 rumor is that the "base" car will be on an evolved C7 platform, while the Z06 and the ZR1 move to the mid-engine platform. This may continue indefinitely, or maybe by the C9 the whole thing goes ME.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
hisvett
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by hisvett View Post
Looks to me like someone is trying to sell a few extra fish-wrappers with a little photo shop work. A concept C8 Mid Engine with C7 Z51 wheels....don't think so

But sources tell me the boys and girls back in Milford are working on a mid-engine, carbon fiber frame edition.....remember, you got it here first
I forgot to mention the new hot rod will be all-wheel-drive too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: