Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

"Lutz says the company has been thinking about a mid-engine Corvette for more than a decade, and he believes the stars may be lined up now for such a car.

He even saw rough plans for a mid-engine Corvette in 2003.

This is not just wishful thinking on the part of magazines and enthusiasts. There’s science behind all this talk about a mid-engine Corvette.

If it happens, we can thank the likes of chief engineer Tadge Juechter, who way back in 2003 as Chevy was beginning work on a replacement for the C6 did a PowerPoint showing, “very credibly,” according to Lutz, that the C6 ZR1 was at the limit of usable rear-wheel-drive performance.

“The problem was really the front-mid-engine layout—we couldn’t get the engine low enough and far back enough for proper weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration,” Lutz writes.

While Lutz was afraid that a mid-engine car would move the Corvette into a much higher price category, Juechter said back then that though the transmission would be more expensive, the final MSRP wouldn’t be more than $5,000 higher."

the date on this Lutz interview from corvetteblogger was january 16, 2015. Tadge's comment that they could do this for an extra $5000 was made, according to Lutz, around 2003, so, if accurate, the mid engined model would not have to be super expensive. with the photos of the mid engine mule shown by car & driver, it is obvious that someone in gm is examining and experimenting with the possibilities of a mid engine car.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

There has been talk of a mid engine Corvette since the mid 60's. According the latest Car and Driver, the current Z06 is the second fastest car to run their Lightning Lap at VIR being beaten only by the $900,000 Porsche 918. At this point, I will believe it when I see it.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes
Sorry, I just don't see a Corvette going for $200k... Regardless of where the engine is located.
If Chevy starts selling Corvettes for $200,000, they may as well close the plant because they won't sell enough to keep it open.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Yep, and I just heard from my guy that 2019 is the date now as well. This was yesterday. Previously it was 2017, but some delays have happened. Probably the C7 MCE refresh for 2018 has gotten priority as well as some sorta super 65th anniversary version, parts had to be changed because the Z06 is getting a larger pulley and they need more belt clearance.

For the C7 generation the ME is only for the ZR1 and a Cadillac Super Car. The C8 rumor is that the "base" car will be on an evolved C7 platform, while the Z06 and the ZR1 move to the mid-engine platform. This may continue indefinitely, or maybe by the C9 the whole thing goes ME.
Did I mention that I live right by the proving grounds?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Probably one of the most epic Corvette leaks ever. It happened on Tadge's watch, he's still pissed about it. Made him look like a fool. I bet to this day he's still trying to overcome it by rooting out all leaks.
Oh, come on....
"Made him look like a fool"????
How so?

The man designed a new Corvette that has been very successful. If that makes Tadge a "fool", I'm certain there are lots of car guys who would sign up to be a "fool" also.

Jimmy

PS. I am curious. Do you know Tadge? You write like you do and you certainly aren't shy about throwing him under the bus. Again, just curious, I don't know HIM or YOU.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Why? While values of the first Ford GT have soared, it was a disaster for Ford at the time. There's a reason the GT was only made in small numbers for a very short time; they didn't sell well. Ford doesn't have anything like the Corvette, yet Chevrolet should "match" Ford? Good thing you're not running a car company.
Dead wrong. The Ford GT from the start was NEVER going to be produced past 2006, this was known from the start. Safety standards were changing for 2007 model year (Ford knew this) and Ford did not spend the money to make the car compliant. To say the car didn't sell well is just wrong, the sold well over 4,000 of them in 2 years. Call Porsche and ask them how many $150K+ cars they sell in a year.

JImmy
Old 09-05-2015, 07:54 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Oh, come on....
How so?

The man designed a new Corvette that has been very successful. If that makes Tadge a "fool", I'm certain there are lots of car guys who would sign up to be a "fool" also.

Jimmy

PS. I am curious. Do you know Tadge? You write like you do and you certainly aren't shy about throwing him under the bus. Again, just curious, I don't know HIM or YOU.
Before working at Ford I worked for a supplier on the Corvette program. So yes in a professional manner I know him. I've sat in the VPIT (vehicle program integration team) meeting, and I personally dislike the way the man does business. I don't think he's very professional and I think there are other more qualified people to run the Corvette program.

I have opinions on most of the guys who work on the program, 95% of them great people. The other 5%, well they are ******.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
If Chevy starts selling Corvettes for $200,000, they may as well close the plant because they won't sell enough to keep it open.
Not one person here said that if they make a limited edition ZR1 replacement mid engine corvette that it would replace the current corvette starting at $55k.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=jimmyb;1590428037]Oh, come on....
How so?

he was referring to this:

"i remember when jalopnik came out with drawings of the c7 over a year before its actual release. gm denied that they were accurate, but they turned out to be dead on."
Old 09-06-2015, 09:55 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

[QUOTE=senah;1590429536]
Oh, come on....
How so?

"i remember when jalopnik came out with drawings of the c7 over a year before its actual release. gm denied that they were accurate, but they turned out to be dead on."
My point is how did the Jalopnik renders make Tadge look like a fool?
Was Tadge supposed to sit in the studio with the car 24/7?
As the person who posted the "fool" comment has pointed out, he is NOT a fan of Tadge (which is his prerogative), so the statement is tinged with dislike and, IMO, a little over the top. Tadge is the chief engineer, not the security guard.

JImmy
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

[QUOTE=senah;1590429536]
Oh, come on....
How so?

In regards to the Jalopnik renders, go back and look at them...they were REALLY good, but not "dead on".

Jimmy
Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

In regards to the Jalopnik renders, go back and look at them...they were REALLY good, but not "dead on".

Jimmy
Those where final stage drawings. They were of the Z06. The design guy (forget his name) who was to go to Europe to head Opel design was walked out of Warren the week before he was set to leave. It was either because he directly leaked these, or because he knew who did and didn't take action (he was a director of design and therefore had a lot of guys under him, he reported to Welburn)

This leak caused a deep dive into leaks and many people were terminated.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=jimmyb;1590430600]
Originally Posted by senah

Jimmy
http://jalopnik.com/5858683/exclusiv...chevy-corvette

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...RR-Afc#imgrc=_
Old 09-06-2015, 05:22 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks pretty dead nuts to me!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Those where final stage drawings. They were of the Z06. The design guy (forget his name) who was to go to Europe to head Opel design was walked out of Warren the week before he was set to leave. It was either because he directly leaked these, or because he knew who did and didn't take action (he was a director of design and therefore had a lot of guys under him, he reported to Welburn)

This leak caused a deep dive into leaks and many people were terminated.
Not according to Jalopnik. They (Jalopnik) say they were in the room with THE car and had their artist do the renders.

Jimmy
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Not according to Jalopnik. They (Jalopnik) say they were in the room with THE car and had their artist do the renders.

Jimmy
Because they didn't want anyone to get fired! I mean honestly, you have a source you do whatever you can to protect him.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I don't see the financial drive to come out with a ME ZR1, and a FE C8. That seems like a waste of money designing and building two difference chassis. I could see a ME ZR1 come out a couple years before the ME C8, so they could flush out issues, gain production experience, and work on getting the production cost down for a C8 version.

Michael

Quick Reply: Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?