Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCOOP: The Mid-Engine Corvette Will Likely Be Confirmed in 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM
YellowC7
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Well this blows all the theories I had out of the water.

It's replacing the C7, it will a pushrod and then a 4-cam later on suggesting multiple sub-models like it has had. Estimated base price of $80k. Debut is in Detroit in 2018.

I predict a hot market for a little while for the C7s once they are no longer for sale.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/c8-in-2...olet-corvette/
What makes you think C&D knows anything? Autoblog says $400K and a twin turbo V6. Both are just guessing.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbeautie
I hope they build it. I hope they can keep the price point reasonable. I hope they sell a ton. I hope it will come in more colours offered on the 2016 Z06 and Stingray and GS (14 colours offered on the Mustang) I hope it's all wheel drive. I hope it beats all the competition. I hope they work all the bugs out before offering it to the public, since it's the first mid engine GM has ever produced (Fiero doesn't count). I hope it's a V8. I hope it looks better than any of the concept photo's I've seen. I hope to wave at the people driving them. I hope I don't change my mind on why I love my front engine cars. I hope for world peace.
I hope I get laid by a supermodel this evening. Do you think my "hope" expectations are too high for a 74 year old man?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 AM
mrbeautie
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I hope I get laid by a supermodel this evening. Do you think my "hope" expectations are too high for a 74 year old man?
What's your number, my MOM's In town.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowC7
What makes you think C&D knows anything? Autoblog says $400K and a twin turbo V6. Both are just guessing.
C&D has better sources and longer relationships than Autoblog. A $400k TT V6 model would be a top of the line, limited production and sales. It would also mirror the Ford GT instead of keeping a V8.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Arvianto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Forum Editor

Corvette Forum has it on good authority from an as-yet unnamed source that GM would be crazy not to pull the trigger on a mid-engine Corvette.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
I like this model but if they want this car to be good outside the US i suggest while introducing this car they also separate the corvette brand from Chevrolet brand outside US or build a Corvette dealership outside the US that sell only Corvette's both the existing front-engine C7 and this rumoured mid-engined variant, think about it while buying 400k car from a chevy dealership would be astronomically ridiculous but it would be more bearable to buy it from Corvette dealers that only sell corvette models since the base one in my country at least cost more or the same as Nissan GTR.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

General Motors is moving forward with long-rumored plans for a midengine Chevrolet Corvette, marking the biggest engineering change in the venerable sports car since its debut in the 1950s, according to a report.

The Detroit News, citing multiple sources “familiar with the company’s planning,” reported on Thursday that GM plans to begin selling a midengine Corvette in early 2019.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...#ixzz4HleVXJlC
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

From autoevolution.com...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ca...v8-110457.html

Escala. The Spanish word for scale. According to Cadillac, Escala has yet another meaning. More to the point, the Escala Concept here “sets the standard of premium for all cars to be measured.”

The concept vehicle before your eyes is, for all intents and purposes, a design study that is meant to preview the styling language of upcoming Cadillac models. But more than that, it is the first General Motors vehicle that makes use of the heavily-anticipated 4.2-liter twin-turbo V8 tower-of-power.

Internally referred to as LT5, this force-fed V8 shouldn’t be confused with the small-block LT5 from the C4 Corvette ZR-1. It is a clean-sheet design that’s expected to arrive on at least three General Motors vehicles. One of them is the next model year for the Cadillac CT6, the other is the yet-to-debut luxury sedan slotted above the CT6, and the third is, of course, the C8 Corvette. And yes, all leads point toward a mid-engined C8 Corvette due for MY 2019.

Nothing else except the displacement of the engine, number of cylinders, cylinder deactivation function, and twin-turbo system is known about the LT5 V8, at least for the time being. The other thing you need to know about the Cadillac Escala Concept is that it is a “four-door expressive flagship sedan with lift-back rear opening.” The manufacturer mumbles something about it being a “more expressive, expansive companion” to the CT6 and, based on its dimensions, it is precisely that. Let’s get down to crunching some numbers.Here are the dimensions for the CT6: 5,184 mm (204.1 in) length, 3,108 mm (122.4 in) wheelbase, 1,879 mm (74 in) width, and 1,473 mm (58 in) height. Here are the dimensions for the Escala Concept: 5,347 mm (210.5 in) length, 3,228 mm (127.1 in) wheelbase, 1,948 mm (76.7 in) width, and 1,455 mm (57.3 in) height. That’s right, the Cadillac Escala Concept is marginally more imperial than the CT6 sedan, and that’s perfectly a-OK.

Instead of boring you with the OLED screens of the cabin, I’ll let Cadillac CEO Johan de Nysschen light up our imagination with a tell-tale statement: “Escala is a concept car, but one based upon the unrelenting rise of our product substance. Depending on the development of market segment for large luxury sedans, Escala is a potential addition to our existing product plan.”

Excited? You’d better be!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:29 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvianto
I like this model but if they want this car to be good outside the US i suggest while introducing this car they also separate the corvette brand from Chevrolet brand outside US or build a Corvette dealership outside the US that sell only Corvette's both the existing front-engine C7 and this rumoured mid-engined variant, think about it while buying 400k car from a chevy dealership would be astronomically ridiculous but it would be more bearable to buy it from Corvette dealers that only sell corvette models since the base one in my country at least cost more or the same as Nissan GTR.
Periods between sentences are your friends.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I want my click back .............
Old 08-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe not the best place to ask, but here goes...

If existing Corvettes are at 50/50 front rear weight balance, or quite close, what is the benefit of a mid engine format? One gives up a lot of common sense benefits to go mid engine, like cargo room, and having to have an engine by your head (or following close behind you in a frontal collision).

So what does mid engine buy for you? I understand oversteer is a serious concern in mid engine cars. So handling improvement (over an already balanced front engine layout) would not seem to be it.

Styling? Mid engine cars always look back heavy and poorly proportioned compared to a long hood and short rear front engine layout. Look at a late C3 like maybe a white 1982,, and tell me you've ever seen sexier proportions on a sports car. Newer Corvettes are still great looking, but do look a bit heavy in the back by comparison to the C3s.

What does mid engine buy in a car that is already well balanced weight wise? It is a genuine question and I'm not trying to start anything here. I'm really asking because I don't know. And I don't really like the idea of a mid engine Corvette. I think it would be too big a change, and no longer the Shark and Shark derivatives we've come to love.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red1990VT:
1950silverstreak (08-21-2016), marcouvo (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Moment of inertia, this web site should help: http://www.drivingfast.net/track/engine-driveline.htm

Rear engine cars such as the 911 have issues with over steer.

Originally Posted by Red1990VT

If existing Corvettes are at 50/50 front rear weight balance, or quite close, what is the benefit of a mid engine format? One gives up a lot of common sense benefits to go mid engine, like cargo room, and having to have an engine by your head (or following close behind you in a frontal collision).

So what does mid engine buy for you? I understand oversteer is a serious concern in mid engine cars. So handling improvement (over an already balanced front engine layout) would not seem to be it.

Styling? Mid engine cars always look back heavy and poorly proportioned compared to a long hood and short rear front engine layout. Look at a late C3 like maybe a white 1982,, and tell me you've ever seen sexier proportions on a sports car. Newer Corvettes are still great looking, but do look a bit heavy in the back by comparison to the C3s.

What does mid engine buy in a car that is already well balanced weight wise? It is a genuine question and I'm not trying to start anything here. I'm really asking because I don't know. And I don't really like the idea of a mid engine Corvette. I think it would be too big a change, and no longer the Shark and Shark derivatives we've come to love.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1990VT

the closer the heaviest components in the car (engine/transmission/occupants) are to its middle, the less force is required to alter the direction the car is pointing, so in other words, it turns quicker, easier and faster. also, when accelerating rapidly, there is an advantageous effective shift in weight distribution that places more beneficial weight over the rear wheels for better traction compared to a front engine car. google "advantages of mid engine cars" for more in depth discussion. also, the ride will be slightly better because the seats are farther from the axles in a midengine car than in a front engine, where the seats are closer to the rear axle.

looks are subjective; either you prefer a long hood or a short one, but with a true midengine, you'll have to settle for the short version.

ferrari and porsche both have several models of different configurations, so there is no reason why corvette can't do the same.

Last edited by senah; 08-22-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

The LT5 is the worst kept engine secret in Metro Detroit.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:19 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Bob Lutz's take on the mid engine Corvette..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...-engine-vette/
Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Team Player
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm guessing you might have two different Corvette types mid and front engine. It would explain why that so called paint shop is so big. They will be running two separate assembly lines one in the new building and one in the existing factory.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Player
I'm guessing you might have two different Corvette types mid and front engine. It would explain why that so called paint shop is so big. They will be running two separate assembly lines one in the new building and one in the existing factory.
i highly doubt that there will be a base mid engine, and base front engine corvette that cost around the same price though. That would be kind of odd.

If do they do make a mid and front engine corvette at the same time. I would guess the mid engine is going to be the top of the line corvette.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 08-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Mid engine fancy car to start with trickle down to mid-engine base car by 2020.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Bob Lutz with some talk about the mid engine Corvette which was cancelled in 08 starting at 11:50.

[URL="https://soundcloud.com/miked-up-detroit-news/miked-up-53-bob-lutz-talks-gm-tesla-more"]
[/ame]

The rest of the interview is good as well.

Quick Reply: SCOOP: The Mid-Engine Corvette Will Likely Be Confirmed in 2016