Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-engine C8 in 2018: C&D is at it again

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
5 years 14-18.
Thought you were saying C7 ending in 2017 and C8 beginning in 2018 that is how I got my math.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,173 Likes on 540 Posts

I love the pricing there quoting.. lol
Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

I would bet that the 2018 introduction date turns out to be a bit ambitious. I still think the mid-engine car will be a separate model.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dval
I would rather see it come out as a caddy and leave the vette drive line the what it is
It WILL be a Cadillac.

Although, I totally disagree with your post.
The C7 should have been released as mid-engine only.

The base C8 better be mid-engine, have an option for AWD, and a DCT,
or GM will lose me to a 911 or R8 after decades of loyalty.

Last edited by 20171LE; 05-13-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:15 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
We will see. Could be, after all GM said there would be no C7 Z06. The design shown will take some time for me to accept.
Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
People said there would never be a C7 Z06 or a C7 GS.
Oh? Who said that? All I remember hearing was that they weren't planning on a C7 ZR1.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

Chevrolet is making Corvettes as fast as they can and they are selling every C7 and there seem to be a small handful of Z06's left over at the end of the model year.

That does not seem like a good reason to cut the C7's run short.

Front Wheel drive electric Corvette. Who in the hell wants one of these? It just sounds like a bad idea. Are they going to sell us engine exhaust noise modules that would play on the stereo like everyone else does... I love having an exhaust that makes noise not a stereo that plays phantom exhaust noise.

Don't fix what is not broken!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 PM
dval
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 20171LE
It WILL be a Cadillac.

Although, I totally disagree with your post.
The C7 should have been released as mid-engine only.

The base C8 better be mid-engine, have an option for AWD, and a DCT,
or GM will lose me to a 911 or R8 after decades of loyalty.
Also the new NSX
Old 05-13-2016, 10:09 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

mother of god. Can we please stop talking about a mid engine corvette?!?!?!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Internetguru
Chevrolet is making Corvettes as fast as they can and they are selling every C7 and there seem to be a small handful of Z06's left over at the end of the model year.

Front Wheel drive electric Corvette. Who in the hell wants one of these? It just sounds like a bad idea. Are they going to sell us engine exhaust noise modules that would play on the stereo like everyone else does... I love having an exhaust that makes noise not a stereo that plays phantom exhaust noise.

Well said.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I found this on aermech.com After reading this it seems like a mid engine car is not worth it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Mid Engine Cars

Engine placement plays a very important role in the dynamics of vehicle.Basically the term’mid-engine’ has generally used for the cars having engine located or placed between the driver and the rear drive axis.The engine placement affects the weight distribution,moment of inertia,passenger space and efficiency of the vehicle.

Let us discuss the advantages and disadvantages of mid engine cars.

Advantages of mid engine cars

The most important thing in vehicles is Vehicles stability.More the vehicle is stable more its ride quality increased at the time of turning.breaking and accelerating.Mid-engine layout helps in the stability of the vehicles.Basically the vehicles is properly stable when all load distributes to all the four wheels equally so this layout is chosen for proper weight distribution.The heaviest component is placed nearer to the center of the vehicle which reduces the vehicle’s moment of inertia and hence makes it easy and fast to turn the vehicle in any direction.So stability increases.

When the engine is in the middle instead of the front of the vehicle then more weight is put over the rear tires which increases the traction and provide more assistance to the front tires in braking the vehicle which will decrease the chance of skidding the vehicle.

The mid-engine layout provides more traction to control and makes ABS brakes and traction control systems work even better.So vehicles stops even faster and chances of accident reduces which makes vehicle more safer.

Mid-engine placement helps in ideal car handling.If we talk about ideal car handling especially in sports car we required balanced traction between the front and rear wheels whenever cornering.Which helps in increasing the speed around curves without sliding out.without mid engine placement this balanced is harder to achieve.

This layout also makes easier for the suspension to absorb the force of bumps so that riders feel the smoother ride as engine which is heavy mass placed at the mid location of the vehicles.And in sports car smoother ride is very essential.

With all these advantages mid-engine drive must have some disadvantages or drawbacks.let us take a look over the disadvantages.

Disadvantages of mid-engine layout

The main disadvantage of the mid-engine vehicles is passenger space.Mostly seen mid-engine vehicles are capable of carrying only two passengers.The engine which is placed rear-mid position pushes the passenger compartment forward towards the front axle and decreases the seating capacity.

Basically when the engine is mounted behind the passenger then the engine cannot comes in direct contact with facing wind.So the cooling rate of the engine decreases as this may create a noticeable issue.But in newer designed cars this issue is resolved by employing large engine-compartment vents on the sides and rear of the bodywork to help dissipate heat from its very high-output engine.

Mid-engine cars are more dangerous.As the tires are more traction and superior balance whenever the driver losses control due to superior balance and low moment of inertia as mass is properly distributed the car begins to spin and cannot control easily.This will make the mid-engine cars more dangerous than other cars.

Here is the video explaining all the engineering about mid-engine cars.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:31 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

It's happening 100%...period.

Porsche has filed for waivers to the FIA to operate a mid-engine modified 911 for next year. They will then, by all indications, follow that up with a GT spec 960, which is a 959 successor. Michelin has developed a solely mid-engine tire in addition to that. It's all right in front of you...this is about racing and keeping positioning. Take a quote direct from Porsche as a matter of fact...this should spell out how the brands see their surroundings and their positioning:

"There’s not been much on the topic of new models but, if you look, there are blank spots in our range – and you have to look at what the competition is doing and keep these things in mind."
Old 05-13-2016, 11:34 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Area 54, building 54...car 54, where are you?
That is the number they should have put on that crappy rendering.
There is a lot of talk about a mid engine Corvette and the 80K price tag is doable, Porsche has proved that with two cars that fit in the mid engine offering.
But not sure of C & D's "proof" and their article is rather lame.
I am glad that I did not have to pay for my subscription, rather a gift from GM...maybe GM was giving out hints when they gave subscriptions for gifts to owners.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

No doubt the rendering is garbage, but the writing is on the wall.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:51 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Based on all this information, I am still very happy to be ordering a 2017 C7Z. There might be changes, but it won't necessary be "better" for me (even if objective performance metrics say it is "better" unequivocally).

And I wouldn't buy a new model within the first 1-2 years of release, especially not with a major architecture/engineering change like this article alleges. So I'll love my C7Z for a long while and get a C8 many years down the road
Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Looks to me like the engine is in the rear!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Bettermost
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Four year run for the C7 that's it.
Not a chance No way the Grand Sport would just be a one year car. C&D is full of $hit. The mid engine car is coming but it wont replace the C7 for at least 3-4 more years.

Last edited by Bettermost; 05-14-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-engine C8 in 2018: C&D is at it again

Old 05-14-2016, 04:24 AM
Mechanic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't we crossed this ground already?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-2016-a.html
Old 05-14-2016, 06:15 AM
7.0ltrpower
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

... imagine Tadge pitching a mid-engine car as being practical.

"There is five cubic feet of trunk space so you'll just pack less".
Old 05-14-2016, 07:48 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
People said there would never be a C7 Z06 or a C7 GS. GM is pulling the old trick of offering a few upgrades to get current C7 owners to trade in their 2-3 year old car and lose a bunch of money.
Say it isn't so...they are actually tricking people to sell more cars. Oh my!

Originally Posted by Internetguru

Well, they may be making them as fast as they can, but they are building up big inventories. That's why it's simple to get $7,000 discounts.

Quick Reply: Mid-engine C8 in 2018: C&D is at it again