Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you if this was the C7 (and it still had an NA V8), I would not be buying a GT4 right now... An NA, mid-engined Corvette Grand Sport has everything I want out of the Cayman and more while likely costing $10-15K less. Only exception being that Chevy's performance seats are still not quite on the same level as Porsche's.

I've always wondered why Porsche is the only manufacturer remaining that makes a mid-engined car for anything less than $100K (other than Lotus, I guess)... and they're still stupidly overpriced. Is the demand for mid-engined performance really THAT low? Clearly plenty of people are ok with two seats, so why not two seats with the engine in the middle? And given how GM's lineup would be balanced out by more efficient, lower end cars (unlike Porsche), it seems likely they'd be able to keep an NA V8 if they so chose.

Please, please, PLEASE make this happen, GM. Do it, and I'm yours.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 06-28-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Is the demand for mid-engined performance really THAT low?

only if the car also has less than 400 hp.

also, from fox news: While General Motors has not officially confirmed it is even considering a mid-engine Corvette or Corvette replacement, when asked about it at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, GM product chief Mark Reuss told FoxNews.com to “stay tuned … the brand that sells more performance cars than anybody else in the world, we’re known for surprises.”

Last edited by senah; 06-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Corvette's stand for power, performance and value. I would expect 500+ horsepower and $125,000 for base rear engine Zora. Good competitive entry point with lots of upside for specialty models going forward.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:05 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of people debating the implications of whether some yet-unannounced future machine is called a Cadillac, a Corvette, or something new. Does it really matter? They could call it the Pontiac Turd Sandwich for all I care. If it has a price that is appropriate for its quality, performance, features, comfort, style, and ease of ownership, then the PTS will be a perfectly likeable automobile.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 20171LE
Wrong. The Corvette isn't a "track machine", it's a street car, and you can't run a sticky tire full time on a street car, especially in the cold and wet.
AWD is outlawed in most racing because of the unfair advantage that it offers.
Catch a 911 Turbo at a street light, and you'll learn the advantages of AWD, and the steering feel and handling of the Turbo are amazing compared to my Corvette.

If you guys stop talking about AWD, I'll stop responding.
But, this mid-engine Corvette will not only offer better weight balance, it will remove the weak excuses regarding AWD.
In a straight line, on the street, with street tires, there is no question AWD is an advantage. On a road course, this advantage shrinks or becomes a disadvantage because of weight, vehicle dynamics, etc. The fastest 911 variant on a road course is the GT3RS (RWD), by a huge margin. Not my opinion....FACT.

Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
richelu (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 PM
DNAST1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C8) - Modified
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist (C6) - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

If this is true, IMO GM better step up their game in craftsmanship, paint, and QC asking for that kind of money and limited production or it will be a FAILURE.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Wrong. The Corvette isn't a "track machine", it's a street car, and you can't run a sticky tire full time on a street car, especially in the cold and wet.
Catch a 911 Turbo at a street light, and you'll learn the advantages of AWD, and the steering feel and handling of the Turbo are amazing compared to my Corvette.

But, this mid-engine Corvette will not only offer better weight balance, it will remove the weak excuses regarding AWD.
If you want a 4wd car to run around in bad weather go buy one, they're all over the place.. If you want a performance car you don't want AWD. If you get the weight distribution right you don't need it, and as others have noted, the added weight just slows you down. And if you haven't run on the latest 200 UTOG rated tires you're way behind the curve. These are real street tires that you can get 20,000 mile easily out of and they stick like crazy compared to OE tires. One of the things that has kept the front engine/rear drive platform competitive for as long as it has, is improvements in tire performance. The advent of 600 hp engines in street cars finally overwhelmed the back tires and the front engine/rear drive layout became obsolete, but once you go to mid engine, you don't need or want AWD, that is unless you can't drive..

AWD just adds cost, weight, and complexity and things to go wrong, and as others have noted there it's just there to keep the ******* on the road.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you want a 4wd car to run around in bad weather go buy one, they're all over the place.. If you want a performance car you don't want AWD. If you get the weight distribution right you don't need it, and as others have noted, the added weight just slows you down. And if you haven't run on the latest 200 UTOG rated tires you're way behind the curve. These are real street tires that you can get 20,000 mile easily out of and they stick like crazy compared to OE tires. One of the things that has kept the front engine/rear drive platform competitive for as long as it has, is improvements in tire performance. The advent of 600 hp engines in street cars finally overwhelmed the back tires and the front engine/rear drive layout became obsolete, but once you go to mid engine, you don't need or want AWD, that is unless you can't drive..

AWD just adds cost, weight, and complexity and things to go wrong, and as others have noted there it's just there to keep the ******* on the road.
You've obviously never driven a 911 Turbo or Audi R8, or been to a 1/2 mile event.

Last edited by 20171LE; 06-28-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmyb
In a straight line, on the street, with street tires, there is no question AWD is an advantage. On a road course, this advantage shrinks or becomes a disadvantage because of weight, vehicle dynamics, etc. The fastest 911 variant on a road course is the GT3RS (RWD), by a huge margin. Not my opinion....FACT.

Jimmy

You must have missed the head of 911 admitting that the 911 Turbo is as fast as their GT counterparts on the same tire, at the same track.
Care to revise your post?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I think at this point Heidecker and his monster Ford GT (rear/mid engine/rear wheel drive) owns every 1/2 mile and standing mile record in the country. He certainly holds all the major ones.

We get that you like AWD.

We all also understand the simple act of moving the platform to rear/mid would be a significant benefit to off-the-line traction, and if balanced as well as the 488 and others, a joy on the road course.

I hope they build it. I think they will. I also think with the mighty ax of CAFE regs swinging down on them, that you'll get your wish for AWD - at least front wheel electric assist in the coming years on the rear/mid platform.

For me, I hope it starts out RWD only - or at least give me the option of buying one RWD only. I'm not interested in an AWD unit.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think at this point Heidecker and his monster Ford GT (rear/mid engine/rear wheel drive) owns every 1/2 mile and standing mile record in the country. He certainly holds all the major ones.

We get that you like AWD.

We all also understand the simple act of moving the platform to rear/mid would be a significant benefit to off-the-line traction, and if balanced as well as the 488 and others, a joy on the road course.

I hope they build it. I think they will. I also think with the mighty ax of CAFE regs swinging down on them, that you'll get your wish for AWD - at least front wheel electric assist in the coming years on the rear/mid platform.

For me, I hope it starts out RWD only - or at least give me the option of buying one RWD only. I'm not interested in an AWD unit.

I actually agree with you.
I think RWD should always be the base configuration, or at least the "track" option.
But, why do RWD ***** always want to deny those that want an AWD, the option of AWD?

Last time I checked, it's the Lamborghinis and GTR dominating 1/2 mile races, and they are both AWD.

I am hoping that GM will follow Lambos lead and offer a mid-engine AWD performance car,
with the OPTION of a RWD model like the Porsche's GT cars or Lamborghini's Balboni.

And, let's be accurate. "I" don't like AWD. It's PHYSICS that likes AWD.

Last edited by 20171LE; 06-28-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

You must have missed the head of 911 admitting that the 911 Turbo is as fast as their GT counterparts on the same tire, at the same track.
Lol, what did you expect the head of 911 to say? "Oh no, we're not as good as them..." Sounds like a legit business plan to sell more cars.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I think GM will option for both, after an initial open with the RWD.

At least until the CAFE regs force them AWD fulltime as they'll have to eventually turn the ponies down on the engine - and make up for it with the electrics.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 911 Turbo also has a crapton of horsepower and a rear-engine setup, putting all its weight on the rear tires... But no one's denying AWD will make you faster from a dig in a straight line.

All things being equal, RWD in a well-balanced car, though, just generally defeats AWD around a track. The added weight, the added drivetrain losses... Even if it was close, RWD is just more fun.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
Lol, what did you expect the head of 911 to say? "Oh no, we're not as good as them..." Sounds like a legit business plan to sell more cars.
You're wrong and obviously misunderstood the clear point that I made.
There is no "them". It's the same manufacturer: Porsche.

To repeat my point, the Porsche executive that runs the 911 program admitted to the press that Porsche's 911 Turbos are as fast as the Porsche 911 GT cars,
on the same tire, at the same track.

So, the assumption that the RWD Porsches are faster is WRONG.

In fact, the fastest track times posted by a production car in Porsche's history, and possibly history in general,
is mid-engine and AWD.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
All things being equal, RWD in a well-balanced car, though, just generally defeats AWD around a track.
With all due repspect, you're wrong.
Please see above.

Although, I would never deny others the choice of a SLOWER "track edition" with RWD.

Last edited by 20171LE; 06-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The photos show nothing of what the car might end up looking like. Remember when the C5 mules were Camaro bodies on the new C5 chassis.

Get notified of new replies

To The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The photos show nothing of what the car might end up looking like. Remember when the C5 mules were Camaro bodies on the new C5 chassis.

Yes. But, no one can deny these mules photographed are mid-engine.
Post like these sound like the ones from a few weeks ago denying the existence of a C7 GS.

Originally Posted by richelu
AWD has been added to these super cars as a crutch to help drivers who do not know what they are doing to overcome their driving deficiencies.
As for racing goes, it is really only useful for rally type events where traction is a premium. On any track, AWD is not necessary with tires and adequate down force. When was the last time a formula 1 car needed AWD? When was the last time a dragster needed AWD?
Shaking my head.
I guess you've never heard of the mid-engine, AWD, Porsche 918 that RAPES Corvette on a track.

A Corvette and a Porsche are both production street cars.
Bringing up multi-million dollar F1 protoypes and PRO Dragsters that run a heated track tire, on a prepped track, removes any credibility your position might have had.

Last edited by 20171LE; 06-28-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I guess Porsche should fit Pilot SS C2's to the Turbo then. Since they don't (and don't offer them as an option), that doesn't matter.

We are talking about street cars as they are equipped from the factory, right?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,135 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Jimmy
"Not an opinion...fact..." I don't believe and would like to see your facts. An example of facts would be published track times in say a Lamborghini, Porsche or an Audi R8, lap times with AWD on, lap times with AWD off.

Anything less is no facts at all, just OPINION.

Quick Reply: The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette