Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:32 AM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Well they did update the ZR1 moniker recently; so maybe part of the current generation. Is there any validity in the modularity of the C7 frame being able to adapt to a mid-engine configuration?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Foosh
It could work like the BMW/Mini relationship. Most BMW dealerships have separate Mini dealerships including service departments on the same property or right next door.
One of many reasons I won't own a BMW or Mini; the closest dealer is ~100 miles away. Chevy dealer is only a few miles away.

People forget that many in this country don't live in or close to a big city.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

OK, so you'd be in luck. Since the Chevy dealer is so close, the new Corvette building could go up write next door . . . LOL.

No people don't forget everyone doesn't live in big cities, but virtually all types of businesses are more sparse when there isn't sufficient population to support them.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
5k over what? C7 prices vary by 60k....
if it's a 60k model, the midengine version of that model would be 65k.

if it's a 100k model, the midengine version of the same model would be 105k.

however, the 5k extra was gm's cost, not the retail extra charge.

80k base price would be a reasonable starting point. will gm do it? we'll see.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I can't imagine what about a clean sheet design would be sooo much more expensive in a mid-engine car. It's still metal, CF, and engine, a drivetrain, axles, and parts.

If I can buy a loaded one for less than $120K, I'm in.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Separating Corvette into its own brand and dealer network would be a deal breaker for me, and I'm sure for many others. Chevy dealers are everywhere. I've looked at other high performance cars, but the closest dealer is several hundred miles away, which won't work. If Corvette had its own dealer I'm sure that would be the case, which would mean owning a Corvette anywhere not close to a big city wouldn't work very well.
I Dunno, it seems like half of these Chevy Dealers don't know how to service Corvettes anyways so a better dedicated dealer network.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM
20171LE
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
5k over what? C7 prices vary by 60k....
Originally Posted by Chip E.
I get the feeling it's gonna be $5K over the fully optioned Z06.

Are you guys serious ?????

IT'S $5K OVER THE CURRENT COSTS.
OBVIOUSLY !!!!!

So, yes, GM could have sold a mid-engine C7, with a base price of $57k.

Don't forget: the greedy accountants at GM have been raising the 2014 base price of $52k ever since launch.

Gotta say, the things people post make me shake my head.
If Corvette starts moving to exotic pricing, people will just buy an exotic instead.
If it costs me over $50k, I'm skipping it for a Turbo Porsche.

GM is going to release a C7 Zora with a mid-engine layout, to be sold alongside the current Stingray.
Then, the C8 will be an all mid-engine generation.
Just look at Corvette history of the aluminum frame for reference.

Last edited by 20171LE; 07-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

They will need to keep it well under $80K to keep the production volume up.

Michael
Old 07-06-2016, 07:51 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
I Dunno, it seems like half of these Chevy Dealers don't know how to service Corvettes anyways so a better dedicated dealer network.
I would rather drive to a competent dealer than have my Corvette serviced at a dealer who doesn't have the technician, equipment or knowledge to properly take care of a Corvette.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Where's all the people who said we were full of **** when a group of us kept insisting a mid-engined vehicle was coming, and soon?
We're right here. Now if you read the article you'll see phrases like:

I hope GM does it, and I hope they use the name Zora
and

All things considered, I'd put the chances of a mid-engine Corvette at better than 50 percent.
Also, if this is what it will look like well then it's butt ugly!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
If GM is going to build a mid-engine car, a second, completely different Corvette model makes sense, but is totally unprecedented.

I would love to see an affordable mid-engine Vette, but I fear one will be out of my price range. Corvettes are supposed to be affordable, but they now start at a whopping $56,400 MSRP.
That does seem like a large sum. But do consider inflation when deciding on how much sticker shock is warranted.

In 1995 dollars the C7 starts at $35,778. That doesn't sound so bad, does it?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
We're right here. Now if you read the article you'll see phrases like:

and

Also, if this is what it will look like well then it's butt ugly!

We Compile All Evidence Pointing To A Mid-Engine Corvette

After literal decades of ongoing rumors, concepts and more, it seems that finally, finally, the Corvette program is going to get the mid-engined car its always deserved, based on evidence that the automotive media at large have contributed to, including us.
Let’s put forth a basic timeline.
First, we discovered the “Zora” trademark filing. Being that Zora Arkus Duntov was one of the fathers of the Corvette program and went on record that he wanted to do a mid-engine model, this trademark filing of course led us to suspect nothing but exactly that. There are also filings for curious names such as E-Ray, , ZR-1 and more.
What really broke the internet was a sheepishly disguised prototype surface with Holden Commodore ute dressings, where something clearly mid-engined was happening under the tailgate of the pseudo ute. Insert passing time of rumors, mumblings et cetera.
Then, we catch a glimpse of some clear mid-engine Corvette renderings during a design interview. Mid-engine is certainly on the mind.
Most recently, General Motors invested $290 million into the Bowling Green assembly for “new processes and technologies.” GM also stated it will help the Corvette facility become more flexible. Flexible for what? Bowling Green does Corvette, and Corvette only. Minus a short stint in building the Cadillac XLR, Bowling Green is Corvette territory.
And then there are the recent spy shots of a decidedly mid-engined prototype scampering around GM proving grounds. If you weren’t a believer then, you should be by now. Sure, maybe Cadillac will get a mid-engined supercar. But right now? It’s safer to believe that Cadillac is focused on filling out its portfolio with a small sedan and oodles of crossovers.
That single reason alone is why this mysterious mid-engine machine that was spotted has to be a Corvette, along with the the trademark evidence. There’s no other logical choice at the moment, especially with cross-town rival, Ford, sweeping motorsports with its mid-engined GT.
It’s not a Cadillac, it’s a Corvette, whether you like it or not. We’re ready, and the world should be ready.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/07/...#ixzz4DjnkCdR4

Last edited by senah; 07-07-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If GM builds a mid-engine Corvette, Zora or whatever they want to call it AND it looks as good as the Ford GT AND costs less than $100K, I might be a buyer. Time will tell.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:04 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
And then there are the recent spy shots of a decidedly mid-engined prototype scampering around GM proving grounds. If you weren’t a believer then, you should be by now.
Sorry, I've seen the spy photos and quite simply it doesn't look like a mid-engine car at all. Could I be wrong? Sure. But quite frankly so could you.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 PM
fastgts
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
The are packaging issues related to a mid engine car that compromises it's ability to be a daily driver for many folks. I think it would seriously diminish its ability to appeal to 35,000 buyers a year. It makes more sense as a second, 5-10,000 unit a year option.

Between the definite increase in price and the almost definite loss of usable cargo space a mid-engine Corvette isn't going to appeal to the same groups of people. It will pick up some customers over the existing set up but, my opinion, it will lose more than it picks up.

Quick Reply: Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price