Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
What if GM is building a mid engined car and it is marketed with no relationship to the Corvette? In other words, its not a C8, but an entirely new line.
Well, for one thing, we wouldn't have threads all over the Corvette Forum about it.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Well, for one thing, we wouldn't have threads all over the Corvette Forum about it.
that might be something to look forward to.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sure it will sell no matter what $ or how it comes out
Probably attract a buyer whos willing to accept things that come with a mid engine car like...good noises behind you.

Seems many want a new Vette, want it to pull 2gs run 10s get 40mph sound great be rare, but "OWOWOW AHHH" "its too loud", "if I only had defrost on my seat"....."this race inspired trans acts like one I hate it!"
"How come leaning on a S/C makes it run hot"
you know the drill. Think some oughta move on to a Caddy and let the Vette be a street beast. Love it or leave it!

There is a different audience that will pay for a mid engine
Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Something I've though about is the cost of ownership. Intuitively it seems to me the cost to repair a mid engine auto would be considerably higher given how the drivetrain is packaged. I'd be interested in what you all with first hand knowledge think.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

They might be harder to repair but maybe not. How many people are going to have major repairs done to any Corvette? Drive trains are pretty much solid through several hundred thousand miles and plug changes at 100K miles aren't all that often that they are a huge cost. Dropping an engine/transmission out of a midengine car probably isn't any harder than it is out of the current C5/C6/C7 architecture. Brake and suspension work would be about the same. Gas tank removal could probably be far easier. AC and cooling system work might be a little harder but the car will probably be assembled pretty much as the current car. Body/frame will be assembled along one line and the drive train along another then the two are married at a point where the drive train is raised under the body/frame and bolted to it. The same modular assembly methods they use now and the same repair methods that are used now.

Will it be harder for waxers to detail the engine compartment? Probably but that isn't a big deal to people who want performance.

Bill
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
^^^ The comparison between any Vette, including a proposed mid engine Vette and the Ford GT is apples to oranges. This is because the Ford GT is not a new variation of a current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette would be. Nor does the ford GT replace any current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette possibly could do. The Ford GT is an extremely limited production car with a MSRP of around 400K, and because of the limited numbers, it is sold out prior to production. Furthermore, Ford has chosen the buyers. The mid engine Vette, whether it compliments or replaces the front engine Vette, will not sell for anywhere near 150K. And, it will not be a limited production car. I remember when the ZR1 hit the market at 120K. They did not sell, and soon after that, the were going for 100K.
never mind---if the info regarding the LT8 engine for a mid-engine GM sports car on the forum is even close to correct at over 700HP it's a certainty that the price will be over $175K and probably well over $200.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:45 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

what people seem to forget is what the Corvette is, the highest performing sportscar for the lowest price. Now how in the hell do you think GM will be able to replicate this if they go with a mid engine design?

I really have no idea why people constantly insist the Corvette as we know it will disappear in 3 or 4 years and be replaced with a mid engine car? I have no doubt that GM is coming out with a mid engine sportscar but it will not replace the front engine/rear drive V8 Corvette, it will be called something else and sold in showrooms along side the Corvette C8.

I shake my head in wonder as to why people keep starting ME replacement of the Corvette threads, it boggles my mind.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangslayer
The data does not support that! Corvette sales have been strong during market lows.
To the contrary....see the Corvette Action Center for production statistics.

Unit sales dropped by 1/2 to 2/3 below the 2008 m-y level (35K units) for m-ys 2009--2013.
Came back to 2008+ levels for m-ys 2014--2016 with the C7.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 08-10-2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: format
Old 08-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

themonk: what people seem to forget is what the Corvette is, the highest performing sportscar for the lowest price. Now how in the hell do you think GM will be able to replicate this if they go with a mid engine design?

I really have no idea why people constantly insist the Corvette as we know it will disappear in 3 or 4 years and be replaced with a mid engine car? I have no doubt that GM is coming out with a mid engine sportscar but it will not replace the front engine/rear drive V8 Corvette, it will be called something else and sold in showrooms along side the Corvette C8.

I shake my head in wonder as to why people keep starting ME replacement of the Corvette threads, it boggles my mind.
100%!! Personally I think you're right but I wonder if GM will maybe also go the route that Jaguar did & come out with an AWD C7 version first and call it the ZR1 ? But I also think a total change to a ME Vette would probably take Corvette out of the market it has now.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 08-11-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:42 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by themonk
what people seem to forget is what the Corvette is, the highest performing sportscar for the lowest price. Now how in the hell do you think GM will be able to replicate this if they go with a mid engine design?

I think you hit it perfect. Why would GM stop selling a successful, profitable model? Makes no sense. The mid-engine will be in addition to, not a replacement.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

The GM execs are probably sipping their martini's and laughing at us. But I don't care. It's still fun to speculate.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
To the contrary....see the Corvette Action Center for production statistics.

Unit sales dropped by 1/2 to 2/3 below the 2008 m-y level (35K units) for m-ys 2009--2013.
Came back to 2008+ levels for m-ys 2014--2016 with the C7.
Huh - Fuzzy math?

Quick Reply: Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...