Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine Corvette could cure a lasting ill

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 PM
67ermineconvert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the comment in the survey. Epic - california. that guy took every bit of taking the survey serious and threw it out the window. If you own or love corvettes please dont use that word..
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

I have to believe there will be a traditional C8 and a mid-engined Corvette. GM's not going to lose their core business with such a huge change in direction. 2 different models grows their business.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-12-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I have always been a fan of front mid engine corvettes such as we have now.

Still with corvettes structure ..I think building a mid engine c8 would be no extra cost other than the cost of the transaxle...

I do like the daily driver capabilities of the current corvette ...but I imagine since I don't play golf anyway what do I care if the mid engine corvette can not hold two sets of golf clubs ...

Other than the cost of a new transaxle transmission for a mid ship rear engine I don't see why a c8 would have to cost more than the current corvette...

I'm sure the aftermarket could manage to meet GM s needs if need be...

I'm excited about the possibility of a mid engine c8...

Probably just an extra five grand tops to bring it to market because of the transaxle..

If the mid engine corvette goes massively more money to buy as a special model. I won't buy it.

I don't believe in throwing crazy money for cars. I have better things to spend my money in..

I think Porsche pricing is ridiculous on the 911 s..I think my neighbor a few doors down just dropped 146k for his targa GTS...it's nice but it weighs more than my corvette and still has less hp..I'm glad he enjoys it...and we wave all the time...

Same for my other neighbor a few doors from him that has a 2017 420 hp 9114s convertible that dropped way over a hundred grand...

I think these guys are insane...

I think the same of the 400 thousand dollar ford GT...

I sure ho corvettes don't follow those pricing agendas...

Keep the corvette pricing where it is....

Just make it mid engine and tack on a few bucks for the newly designed transaxle transmission it will need for the c8...

As it is the c7 grand sport starting at 66 grand ...crushes the 100 grand Porsche Cayman gt4 in performance...

As does the corvette z06...at 80 grand...

With options these corvettes do approach 110 grand....and that's more than enough money...imho

A mid engine c8 could theorically start at 5 grand more than the base c7 or around 60 grand..

First we will probably see a 150 grand mid engine corvette before the launch of the c8 ...to amortize the cost of the transaxle needed...for a year or so..

I'm sure it will sell out to those who have to have one....

Just guesses and opinions on my part.
Do you honestly believe such a revolutionary change only nets a $5K increase?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Then why do you read them if you don't care for them. Is it because it gives you another opportunity to be condescending?
easy there Ronnie
The following users liked this post:
Raazor (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
This car goes mid-engine I'm out.

I'm not looking for the reinvention of this car. I'm fine with body/design enhancements but this complete metamorphosis is not what I want from gm. Give it a new name. Chevrolet Zora or something. But mid-engine a "corvette" will never be.
If GM gives this car to any other brand than the Corvette then I AM OUT! No other brand is worthy of this except the Corvette! Now I am all for more Corvette variants. We now have the Z06, Grand Sport and the Stingray so I'll be more than okay with adding a Corvette Zora to that lineup.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:27 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Do you honestly believe such a revolutionary change only nets a $5K increase?

Considering the chassis design of corvette c7 ....not being shared with any other product...the only added cost to convert to a mid engine design would be the transaxle...

I could be wrong of course and if the c8 maintains the present engine technology of the c7...I see the only added cost would be the transaxle..

I don't see any reason why the rest of the chassis production changes to facilitate a mid engine would add cost.

Of course I'm not a chassis designer so it's just an opinion and worth little more than that...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
This car goes mid-engine I'm out.

I'm not looking for the reinvention of this car. I'm fine with body/design enhancements but this complete metamorphosis is not what I want from gm.
I'm out also! But for a different reason! My 2018 GS will be my 5th Vette! Started in '88 and had a period of a modified S10's in between because we were building a house and needed the bed and then loved it on the Interstate! [Still miss that two seat, step side with, ZQ8 suspension, 3rd rear anti-hop shock, large diameter front and rear sway bars, 2 inch lower ride height, quick steering plus mods I added!]

I recall hauling 8 foot 2X4's with my '93 40th Anniversary Vette and telling the fellow at Lowes it was my pick-up! A blanket over the rear, and passenger seat with a bungee cord holding the hatch open and those 2X4's sticking out the back!

When I can't "borrow" the wife's SUV I can still get product over to FedEx in 18X18X 8 inch boxes in the back of my C7! It holds lots of groceries when I get that to do!

Yep my front engine Vettes can still haul quite a bit!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Funny, my '34 ProStreet Rod is technically a mid engine! The first spark plug in the 8.2 Liter BB is 10 inches behind the front wheel centerline as the engine is set back in the chassis! That is also because of Henry's design with the front wheels far forward! Accept for the 3 inch top chop it is a duplicate of the original shape!

It has 53% of it's weight over the rear wheels due engine set back, the heavy 4 bar link rear suspension, very ridged frame and heavy 9 inch sold axle and large tires.

It has front and rear sway bars and coilovers on all 4 corners, however it only goes well straight! It misses, of course the weight concentrated in the middle so it doesn't have a low polar moment of inertia.

Yep the mid engine Vette will do better on a track but around town I don't see any advantage and some downsides. Maybe that is what you do when you're forced to go for higher corporate average MPG to a smaller displacement, twin turbo V6 with it's higher overhead cam profile! My guess as what it will have for power!

'34 ProStreet Rod Sedan with 8.2 liter BB, Ridgid Chassis With 4 Bar Link Rear and Double Wishbone Front Suspension. Coilovers and Disk Brakes in All 4 Corners.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-13-2016 at 12:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
joemessman (09-13-2016), sunsalem (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:43 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Considering the chassis design of corvette c7 ....not being shared with any other product...the only added cost to convert to a mid engine design would be the transaxle...

I could be wrong of course and if the c8 maintains the present engine technology of the c7...I see the only added cost would be the transaxle..

I don't see any reason why the rest of the chassis production changes to facilitate a mid engine would add cost.

Of course I'm not a chassis designer so it's just an opinion and worth little more than that...
Take a good look at any mid-engine car.
The chassis is very different because it takes a lot of work and bracing to get the engine low in the body unless you make the engine a structural member of the vehicle - like they do in every mid-engine race car.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I don't see the relationship between mid life crisis and mid engine other than the word "mid" unless you feel younger people want a mid engine car. I personally like to open the front hood of the car and see an engine but I am way past mid life crisis.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 09-13-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusAmick

It’s clear that the Corvette still hasn’t been able to shake its stigma as the sports car for the man going through a mid-life crisis, something I firmly think a mid-engine model would help address.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Looks like a Mclerrari.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My daughter asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis when I ordered the Corvette at 59. I told her yes and I fully expected to live to be 118.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:13 PM
dbischoff
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just don't get the "old man" issue, or why it is considered a negative to own a Corvette when you are older. Of course a Corvette driver will be older, as are the drivers of Porsches or any other sports cars.

An impractical two-seater that can barely make it over speed bumps is a toy that should only be owned and enjoyed by by someone who has their priorities in order and has taken care of the important ones. And for most of us it takes time to achieve those things.

If your house is paid off, you have put your kids through university and they are off to a good start, and you have put away enough money for a comfortable retirement and the means to help your kids or grandkids if needed, and you can afford to keep at least one practical car/truck in addition to the toy(s), then you buy the Corvette or whatever car you've dreamed of owning - not before.

It's not a mid-life crisis thing. It's just being responsible.

Last edited by dbischoff; 09-13-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:14 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

New article from R&T:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-spy...ht-in-profile/
Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Looks like a Mclerrari.
It's just a Corvette Daytona Prototype minus the Big-*** Wing:

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
My daughter asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis when I ordered the Corvette at 59. I told her yes and I fully expected to live to be 118.
Nice one.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
easy there Ronnie
Ronnie gettin' all emotional
Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dbischoff
I just don't get the "old man" issue, or why it is considered a negative to own a Corvette when you are older. Of course a Corvette driver will be older, as are the drivers of Porsches or any other sports cars.

An impractical two-seater that can barely make it over speed bumps is a toy that should only be owned and enjoyed by by someone who has their priorities in order and has taken care of the important ones. And for most of us it takes time to achieve those things.

If your house is paid off, you have put your kids through university and they are off to a good start, and you have put away enough money for a comfortable retirement and the means to help your kids or grandkids if needed, and you can afford to keep at least one practical car/truck in addition to the toy(s), then you buy the Corvette or whatever car you've dreamed of owning - not before.

It's not a mid-life crisis thing. It's just being responsible.
exactly, the corvette is not setup for younger people.

Most younger guys who are making decent money still buy expensive cars. but they are probably going to have 4 doors.
1950silverstreak (09-13-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine Corvette could cure a lasting ill

Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I paid cash for my Vette when I bought it years ago, but then gave the two houses to the ex and now my car is paid for and my current house is mortgaged. Oh well, c'est la vie. The important thing is, I kept the Vette!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
UsaBest
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s clear that the Corvette still hasn’t been able to shake its stigma as the sports car for the man going through a mid-life crisis, something I firmly think a mid-engine model would help address.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Who gives a $hit what someone else says about why you own the cars. Just who do you think is going to be writing the $150K checks for that mid engined car anyway? The 25 year old with $500k in student loans a BA and no job?

Last edited by UsaBest; 09-16-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

It’s clear that the Corvette still hasn’t been able to shake its stigma as the sports car for the man going through a mid-life crisis...

The only "crisis" is not having a Corvette. This whole midlife crisis thing is oddly often brought up by people who drive a beige minivan. THAT, my friends, is a true crisis.

Besides, I got my first brand new Corvette when I was 27, I hope that wasn't midlife for me!
sunsalem (09-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Corvette could cure a lasting ill