Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: would you perfer a mid eng or front eng corvette
keep front engine
24.60%
go to mid engine
19.79%
build both gives options to customers
46.52%
I don't care
9.09%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Mid engine vs front engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
I believe the additional cost of a ME Corvette will have negative results with sales. Those, for whom money is no object, or for those who race their Vettes, may purchase the ME just for the neighborhood "big *****" effect. As it is now, the current C7 was affordable enough, for folks like me, to be able to enjoy this small passion in life. Never thought I would purchase a new C7 but a new pickup truck can cost as much or more than what I paid for my C7. For me, a substantial cost increase, 5-10k dollars (and I think it will be more than that), to purchase a ME Corvette would be a game changer.
For the volumes GM needs the price has to be near what it is now, IMO.

However that is why it may come out first as a Cadillac as has been reported. That may in fact have a naturally aspirated V8 (if they can stuff it in) and cost $125,000.

However my reasoning for a mid engine (forgetting the marketing hype about higher lateral "g" force because of the lower polar moment of inertia-which is true) they are doing it to meet future corporate mpg goals. To do that they need a smaller more efficient engine. My guess is that will be a 3/3.6 liter 4 valve per cylinder double overhead cam V6! Perhaps one version with dual turbo's!

Can't fit that tall engine in a low front engine car without a big bump sticking out of the hood like an and old 671 blower gasser! With lower rpm torque the transaxle can be smaller and that engine would weigh less. With fewer, less expensive options as will no doubt be in the Caddy version, perhaps they can get the needed price point. We'll see!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-10-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
For the volumes GM needs the price has to be near what it is now, IMO.

However that is why it may come out first as a Cadillac as has been reported. That may in fact have a naturally aspirated V8 (if they can stuff it in) and cost $125,000.

However my reasoning for a mid engine (forgetting the marketing hype about higher lateral "g" force because of the lower polar moment of inertia-which is true) they are doing it to meet future corporate mpg goals. To do that they need a smaller more efficient engine. My guess is that will be a 3/3.6 liter 4 valve per cylinder double overhead cam V6! Perhaps one version with dual turbo's!

Can't fit that tall engine in a low front engine car without a big bump sticking out of the hood like an and old 671 blower gasser! With lower rpm torque the transaxle can be smaller and that engine would weigh less. With fewer, less expensive options as will no doubt be in the Caddy version, perhaps they can get the needed price point. We'll see!
GM designed(and tooled up) a 4.5L 72 degree DOHC TT 4.5L V8 with the block made of CGI with aluminum heads. The CGI block made it easy to design the block very compact because of the CGI's superior strength over grey cast iron and aluminum.

Like a couple of other TT V*engines, the heads are reverse flow so that the exhaust/twin turbos are mounted between the heads, thus the engine fits in the same size box that the LS/LT engines fit in.

While the engine was designed as a diesel, the heads could be redesigned to run on gasoline.

With the engine being so narrow, it would work in the Corvette as the engine(with the turbos installed) would fit into the engine bay, installed from the bottom of the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1594062896]GM designed(and tooled up) a 4.5L 72 degree DOHC TT 4.5L V8 with the block made of CGI with aluminum heads. The CGI block made it easy to design the block very compact because of the CGI's superior strength over grey cast iron and aluminum.

Like a couple of other TT V*engines, the heads are reverse flow so that the exhaust/twin turbos are mounted between the heads, thus the engine fits in the same size box that the LS/LT engines fit in.

While the engine was designed as a diesel, the heads could be redesigned to run on gasoline.

With the engine being so narrow, it would work in the Corvette as the engine(with the turbos installed) would fit into the engine bay, installed from the bottom of the car.[/QUOTE
Compacted Graphite cast iron has been around a long time and agree it is probably almost as good for a beefy diesel block but had not heard it would be lighter than aluminum for a gasoline engine.

Of coarse it could be a turbo diesel Vette! 20:1 compression and turbocharged would be efficient! Heck we've already gone to direct injection, why not. Fun to speculate.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-10-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

[QUOTE=JerryU;1594063184]
Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM designed(and tooled up) a 4.5L 72 degree DOHC TT 4.5L V8 with the block made of CGI with aluminum heads. The CGI block made it easy to design the block very compact because of the CGI's superior strength over grey cast iron and aluminum.

With the engine being so narrow, it would work in the Corvette as the engine(with the turbos installed) would fit into the engine bay, installed from the bottom of the car.[/QUOTE
Compacted Graphite cast iron has been around a long time and agree it is probably almost as good for a beefy diesel block but had not heard it would be lighter than aluminum for a gasoline engine.

Of coarse it could be a turbo diesel Vette! 20:1 compression and turbocharged would be efficient! Heck we've already gone to direct injection, why not. Fun to speculate.
Why don't you read(and try and comprehend) my posting in it's entirety before making your stupid post about a diesel Corvette.

I said that while the engine was designed as a diesel it could be redesigned to run on gasoline to be used in the Corvette. That means using low compression pistons and spark plugs.

And it wouldn't require a huge power bulge on the hood to clear the turbo's. Look at the 2017 Mercedes AMG GTR's hood. It has a 4L TT V8 with the exhaust/turbos mounted in the bank between the heads.

A CGI block can be designed to weigh the same as an aluminum block as the cross sectional areas can be much thinner, because of it's superior strength. An engine with a CGI block can be physically smaller while having the same displacement as an aluminum block because of the thinner cross sections.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-10-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by marcouvo
IMO, GT is a valid classification of a C7, due to its size.
This is the traditional definition of a GT:

grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, a tribute to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid engine vs front engine