Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
It's not a sports car without a manual. It becomes a buick

But the younger crowd likes convenience and high tech, a quick shifting auto with paddles is what they prefer. GM needs to think about the future.

Me, I like a manual. Clutch, burp the throttle, downshift, clutch Its a dying art from the '60s and '70s but I feel connected to the car. I want a manual, but the new corvette owners I don't think so ...
Old 09-18-2016, 08:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

It depends on the trans. If it's a well functioning DCT like Porsche's, then I'll go for it, even though I'm a manual trans guy. On the other hand if it behaves like some single clutch and some DCTs with sloppy/poor low speed manners, I'll probably pass and build a 700 hp C2 resto mod along the lines of this:

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I guess there is a reason 70% of the Corvettes built are automatics?
Sure, but that still leaves 30%. Does any automaker want to cut their potential market by 30% when introducing a new model? I don't get the near-hostility toward those who chose one transmission over another. Choice is good - buy what you like. The real crime is losing the ability to make that choice.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Micster
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez06
Definitely go with the automatic tranny, are you kidding me?
There's no debate on that one.
Going out on a limb here, but must say: I'll bet you're a real joy to live with. Many of us happen to prefer a manual, and appreciate the degree of connectedness a manual provides. (Opinion Alert)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Apparently, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. didn't get the memo...
They use what is called " Egear " manual transmissions. It a standard manual transmission with high pressure hydraulic fluid that moves the shift arms and also the clutch. It is controlled by a computer module, can drive in full auto, or paddle shift at will. Very fast shifts in either mode, way faster than any human, plus it doesn't " miss " a shift. only problem is going slow in stop and go traffic, clutch wear can get huge as computer has a bit of problem allowing the proper amount of slip in traffic. But, you should not be driving these cars in traffic, not what they were built for.

Last edited by Racer86; 09-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
It depends on the trans. If it's a well functioning DCT like Porsche's, then I'll go for it, even though I'm a manual trans guy. On the other hand if it behaves like some single clutch and some DCTs with sloppy/poor low speed manners, I'll probably pass and build a 700 hp C2 resto mod along the lines of this:

That C2 in black or silver would be pure sex.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer86
They use what is called " Egear " manual transmissions. It a standard manual transmission with high pressure hydraulic fluid that moves the shift arms and also the clutch. It is controlled by a computer module, can drive in full auto, or paddle shift at will. Very fast shifts in either mode, way faster than any human, plus it doesn't " miss " a shift. only problem is going slow in stop and go traffic, clutch wear can get huge as computer has a bit of problem allowing the proper amount of slip in traffic. But, you should not be driving these cars in traffic, not what they were built for.
What you are referring to is only in the Aventador now.
It's an automated SINGLE clutch called E-gear and it is absolutely terrible.
I've "borrowed" Lambos, and I can't wait to get out of them.

Ferrari, the new Lambo Hurracan , and every other top tier sports car today all run DCT, with TWO automated clutches.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-18-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe that GM has a patent on a DCT that uses a torque convertor.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by op z
I prefer a manual transmission in my Corvettes. There is an article on Jalopnik saying the mid engine Corvette will likely only be available with an automatic transmission. What would you do in this case? Buy the last stick shift Corvette and hold on to it or buy the auto just to have the latest and greatest?

I will be very disappointed if there is no manual option.
The current C7 will be my last Corvette if there are no more manuals in the future generations.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:39 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I love that corvette. and would love to do something like it.

But i just cant drive something that custom on roads without fear of someone damaging it.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 09-19-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Just remember the current F1 engine is only 1.6 liters and produces 700+hp! It also has something that will be in the Vette future, IMO, a hybrid short duration, battery powered electric motor that produces ~160 hp. Wouldn't mind having one of those that operated for ~10 seconds between braking battery regeneration in a street driven Vette!
Perfect for powering out of corners.

BTW, the rumor mill this year in F1 about powerunits (engine + battery) has said there could be around 1300hp shortly.
This would make it a one-to-one situation (1 hp. per pound).

Originally Posted by dvilin
Big difference in the transmissions in the Ferrari and Lambo when compared with the GM slush box A8.
True.

I'll probably pass and build a 700 hp C2 resto mod along the lines of this:

That thing looks wickedly cool.

Originally Posted by Racer86
They use what is called " Egear " manual transmissions. It a standard manual transmission with high pressure hydraulic fluid that moves the shift arms and also the clutch. It is controlled by a computer module, can drive in full auto, or paddle shift at will.
Exactly....most don't know this.

FWIW, when the term "manual" is used around here, it pertains to a 3rd pedal setup.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

GM will probably offer a manual in the C whatever as they can add a hefty up charge for the auto/DCT. As the manual is only in about 25% of the C7's, an up charge that equals about a $600,000 amount to the cash flow.
I really don't think that the manual is going to last much longer and I'm OK with that, tech moves forward as is witnessed by the C7.
Where I live there is access to many nice cruvy roads which makes driving with a manual fun, but the traffic in Austin is getting lousy which makes an auto type tranny an easy choice.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

A stick shift convertible is my only choice. If the Corvette C8 only comes in an auto, I will probably keep my C7 forever.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't really care if it's a slush box auto (A8 ZF8/9), or actual clutch pressure plates operated by computers (e.g. DCT, PDK). I don't know about the A8, but the ZF8 in my Jaguar F-Type paddle-shifted every bit as fast as the PDK.

I only used the paddles exclusively, but I just got bored with them and missed the "3rd pedal experience."
Old 05-03-2017, 04:44 PM
tdp1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Apparently, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. didn't get the memo...
I think the ect. comes in a manual.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM
tdp1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
GM will probably offer a manual in the C whatever as they can add a hefty up charge for the auto/DCT. As the manual is only in about 25% of the C7's, an up charge that equals about a $600,000 amount to the cash flow.
I really don't think that the manual is going to last much longer and I'm OK with that, tech moves forward as is witnessed by the C7.
Where I live there is access to many nice cruvy roads which makes driving with a manual fun, but the traffic in Austin is getting lousy which makes an auto type tranny an easy choice.
By that logic, I assume you would be fine with an autonomous driven Corvette also?

How far tech forward are you willing to go?

JK, to me, sports car and automatic should never be used in the same sentence.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
Sure, but that still leaves 30%. Does any automaker want to cut their potential market by 30% when introducing a new model? I don't get the near-hostility toward those who chose one transmission over another. Choice is good - buy what you like. The real crime is losing the ability to make that choice.
I bet that some of that 30% would jump over to a DCT in a heartbeat if GM offers a good one. If GM goes with their typical "no one will know the difference" attitude and go with the cheapest thing that will half *** work, then they will shoot themselves in the foot.

Might even pick up a few new customers that don't want either a notchy Tremec or a unreliable GM slush box auto, but would spring for a good DCT(even if it had a torque convertor).

Get notified of new replies

To If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...

Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I guess there is a reason 70% of the Corvettes built are automatics?
Here are the reasons they build more automatics for any brand actually.

1. Millennials can't drive a stick.
2. Wife wants to drive the car sometimes.
3. Older guys have bad legs.
4. Can't drive a manual holding your latte.
5. To drive a manual well is an art.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Here are the reasons they build more automatics for any brand actually.

1. Millennials can't drive a stick.
Huh, the ricers I see have manuals.
2. Wife wants to drive the car sometimes.
I doubt many wives want to drive an LT4 more than once.
3. Older guys have bad legs.
AND don't want to be bothered with a 3rd pedal any longer.
4. Can't drive a manual holding your latte.
Wrong.
Corvette owners don't drink lattes...real men drink Metamucil.
5. To drive a manual well is an art.
So is finger painting, but it's just as meaningless.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:13 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm hoping there will be a manual naturally aspirated c8 rear wheel drive wide body. Most importantly I hope they build it better. Then I'm in.

Quick Reply: If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...