Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by op z
I prefer a manual transmission in my Corvettes. There is an article on Jalopnik saying the mid engine Corvette will likely only be available with an automatic transmission. What would you do in this case? Buy the last stick shift Corvette and hold on to it or buy the auto just to have the latest and greatest?

I will be very disappointed if there is no manual option.
YES!

To date, all my performance cars have been manual transmissions. American slushboxes have come a long way.................it is time to move to paddles!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I have owned many Corvettes since 1972 and all of them were 4-speeds. I never even considered a Corvette with an automatic transmission. My current C7, however, has the automatic paddle-shifters and I must say I got used to it in a hurry. It's just as much fun on the track, and a lot more enjoyable on the road, especially in traffic. I was once a vocal opponent of "slush-box" Corvettes - but now I own one, and it's great. Times change - people change - and technology marches on.

So a mid-engine Corvette with no manual transmission will not be a deal-breaker for me. A price tag too far north of $100K definitely will be, though. We'll see.
I'm not onboard with a mid-engine Corvette yet(I believe the C8 will remain a front engine Corvette, but the possibility that there will be a mid-engine Cadillac and maybe a mid-engine Corvette further out in time).

I'm not one that thinks you are a ***** if you drive a Corvette with an automatic transmission. To each his own.

I would like to see the front engine C8(and also a mid-engine separate car) with a "good" DCT transmission to replace the "slushbox" hydramatic A8, and most likely would also replace the manual transmission. What worries me...can GM design and build a "good" DCT?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Larry99
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love rowing the gears around myself, but I think there is something here being missed. If Corvette is going to continue to be world class, it has to keep up. The Porsche 919 is unfortunately for us gear heads, the wave of the future. I think you will see the new LT5 engine mounted midships providing generator power to electric motors for and aft just like the the fastest Porsche ever built. This trend cannot be ignored even though it reduces our manual transmission enjoyment. I don't necessarily like it but the future will demend that high performance cars keep up with the latest tech challenges. In this case, Corvette could likely beat the other supercar guys (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) to the punch and maybe outlap that 919.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
I think sticks are loads of fun and necessary equipment on a muscle car...especially a vintage model...but they can get tiresome on congested drives.

In addition, these days it seems the new autos turn quicker times and shift faster and better than most people can. To me, this gives the driver less to worry about so they can concentrate more on driving and not shifting.

I don't mind the auto as much since they have the F1 type paddle/manual option. I figure if it's good enough for them....

Imaging if there was a manual stick gear box F1 competing against paddles today in the same race. Maybe there are...I don't know, but I feel it would be a tough go for the stick. just my feelings...

DCT would be great. I am wondering if they go to AWD and AWS with the c8? Would be world class especially if it looked anything like this...

Nice C8 rendering! I'm a Manual guy, too.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The Porsche 918 is faster because it had literally an unlimited budget and didn't have to make any money either. It was hybrid because the company wanted to advertise it's future readiness (for efficiency's sake).

The GT2 RS will prove that hybrids are still slower when it comes to all out performance. It will be as fast as the 918 the first lap and faster every lap after that. It will cost $300k. It will be more reliable.

Hybrids in racing, as on the street, are pushed forward by laws/legislation not for performance's sake.

And more importantly, hybrid does not mean no manual. Tons of tech presented at auto shows showcasing manual compatibility with hybrid. The Honda CRZ is hybrid manual. If the customer wants it, the hybrid can be manual.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 07-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Larry99
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You make great points. But I think that Corvette development is getting squeezed into a corner not only by gas engine/electric motor (torque) trends but by politics and will be pushed to introduce the next affordable supercar with these attributes. Sad for us gearheads but things change.
PS - the HOnda CRZ has an electric motor that sits between the engine and the transmission which then drives the wheels. According to reviews, this set-up greatly hampers the driving experience.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Personally I couldn't care less what the ratio of auto to manual is. I certainly couldn't care less the auto is an eye blink quicker. I don't care about "newer" auto technology. What I do care about is driving a car and have fun in the process as compared to sitting and steering. Oh yeah....for the guy who said some that don't like the auto because they don't know how to us the paddle shift I say if you can push the start button, change the radio station or raise or lower the volume you're more than qualified to use a paddle shift.

Last edited by saplumr; 07-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by saplumr:
Boiler_81 (07-17-2017), Dutch08 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

For my 2 old Vettes (64&68) I have and enjoy Manual.
My C5 & C7 as Daily Driver cars I have Auto.
Now my new Toy is a Ferrari F430 and that has a F1 Paddle Shift.
It has an Auto mode but you have to press a button to engage it. Never use it.
That is way closer to Manual than the paddles in the C7.
You have to be in Neutral before starting.
You have to be in gear or use the Parking Brake when parking.
It has the throw back in the seat like a Manual.
Rear End Ratio I think makes a difference as they usually put a higher ratio on Manuals, F430 has 4.30:1
The Paddles stay put and do not follow the wheel. I much prefer this.

If the Trans is like the Ferrari you'd miss it a lot less. Its pretty visceral.
My 64,68 & F430 I could never have a Coffee in cause you're so engaged with shifting. The F430 only differs in that you're left foot isn't needed. You still need to Watch your RPMs, its a bit more than pressing a button.

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 07-17-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If the C8 is only a available in an auto, I will fulfill my need for a replacement for my C6 by purchasing the most magnificent C7 GS with a 427 CI NA engine and manual I can find. That is my current dream car and I think in 3-5 years, I would still be very content with it.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

3 pedals & convertible are the only acceptable configurations for me.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

If I can afford a ME Vette and it only offers auto (with F1 paddles I presume), I'll purchase it based on numerous other considerations related to overall performance and styling.

While having a manual transmission was a "must have" when I was shopping for my current C5, it will be a "nice to have" if I'm able to consider owning a ME Vette.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd prefer a manual for the experience,... would consider auto with other contingencies..

1. high revving NA motor
2. paddles on column, not on the wheel

Look to the 458 and huracan
Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ShahulX
I'd prefer a manual for the experience,... would consider auto with other contingencies..

1. high revving NA motor
2. paddles on column, not on the wheel

Look to the 458 and huracan
The highlighted usually means not enough power to a lot of us.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:40 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Three pedal cars are rapidly going away.... along with those that stand by them. GM is building cars for the future, not for the past.

The mid-engine Corvette should be an automatic.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (09-07-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tooold2race
Three pedal cars are rapidly going away.... and the real enthusiasts hate it. GM is building cars for the future.

The mid-engine Corvette shouldn't be an automatic.
Fixed it all for ya. Your welcome!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Internetguru
3 pedals & convertible are the only acceptable configurations for me.
If the whole point of a ME is maximum performance, then why would it be a convertible or a manual transmission - both of which are significant hindrances to weight and performance.
I personally think that anyone expecting the ME to be a 3 pedal convertible is going to be sorely disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (09-07-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
The highlighted usually means not enough power to a lot of us.
tell that to the Huracan performante setting records..

the new Valkyrie is a NA v12 and could be the fastest car ever

I essentially want the new vette to be like the 458 speciale or hurancan performante... mid engine, column mounted shifters (if no 3 pedal manual) active aero and fast as hell...

Get notified of new replies

To If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...

Old 07-28-2017, 01:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ShahulX
tell that to the Huracan performante setting records..

the new Valkyrie is a NA v12 and could be the fastest car ever

I essentially want the new vette to be like the 458 speciale or hurancan performante... mid engine, column mounted shifters (if no 3 pedal manual) active aero and fast as hell...
Lets get real. When GM starts pricing cars in the 250-300K range get back to me.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
Lets get real. When GM starts pricing cars in the 250-300K range get back to me.
Already faster than some of those cars..
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
Three pedal cars are rapidly going away.... along with those that stand by them. GM is building cars for the future, not for the past.

The mid-engine Corvette should be an automatic.
Even Mercedes is using an automatic(ie: DCT) in their AMG GT R, as well as in their GLA 250 SUV. Both ends of the spectrum, with both cars having only two pedals and a massive differences in performance and price.

Quick Reply: If the mid-engine Corvette is not available with a manual transmission...