Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine Corvette - Maybe Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Justification?

Depends on the V6.
Agreed - the 3.7L V6 Nissan has, has won Ward's Auto World's Ten Best Engines award more times than any other engine.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

The 911-RSR GTLM is a mid engine (engine in-front of the rear wheels) car, no complaints from anyone that I heard. Two young guys in the white shirts had a podium finish 3rd in class at LeMans Sunday in the #93 car. Met them at a Rick Hendrick meet & greet at his Porsche store in Cary NC prior to the Oak Tree GP at VIR.
LOL. No I guess that rear engine loving 911 owners didn't complain about the six 911 RSR GTE race cars which were built to compete in the FIA World Endurance Championship and IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Just like I doubt that any FE Corvette advocates would be concerned if six ME Corvette race cars were built. It's the other 40,000 C8s which give them concern.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
….guess that rear engine loving 911 owners didn't complain about the six 911 RSR GTE race cars which were built to compete .....IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Just like I doubt that any FE Corvette advocates would be concerned if six ME Corvette race cars were built. It's the other 40,000 C8s which give them concern.
Yep and Porsche owners would not have been unhappy if all 911s had their engine where Dr. Porsche had it in the first 356 in 1948 and where he knew where it should be from his German F1 experiance in the 1930's- in the Middle!

But in 1948 Germany there was little money and the cost for an ME was too high so he was forced to use mostly VW car parts and leave the engine in the rear!

Last year we toured Core Racing in Rick Hill SC the official Porsche Team for the mid engine 911 GTLM's! They reverse the transaxle and put the engine in place of those silly rear kids "seats!" Once the C8 starts taking market share they will make an ME 911. Or they will let the flat 6 in the 718 Boxter get to 911 engine power. Probably being constrained for marketing reasons.

SIDEBAR
Funny the 911 was to expensive to build so Porsche planned to replace it with the FE 928 in 1977 (lased until 1995.) The Air Cooled, Rear Engine lovers cried like stuck pigs. Porsche hired Toyota Engineering to redesign their old production facility and make it cheaper to build. Recall at the launch of the new 911 (still expensive) they touted it had better weight balance by their use of titanium rear parts. However one of the car mags caught that they had also added weight to the front bumper! Not good for low "polar moment of inertia!" (Note: if restoring and old Porsche you can buy front bumpers with the added weights!)

Now some Porsche 911 owners may still think they have air cooled engines! When in the waiting room to get the wife' Cayenne oil changed there was a fellow having his new 911 serviced. I asked something about the engine being water cooled. He had no idea, nor did he have much of an understanding of cars! Changed to topic to golf! For some it's like owning a Rolex! They won't care where the engine is located as long as the car is expensive and most of his neighbors don't own one!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-19-2019 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Why are we bumping a 3 year old thread? Mods please lock.

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Corvette - Maybe Not?