Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick thought-mid engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
No, I don't agree. The GM marketing plan calls for a high performance sports car that has a base price in the lower priced luxury class, in other words, about $55K to $60K. To suddenly move to a high end only, somewhere north of $80K or $90K would be marketing suicide. It would be saying, "Yup! Porsche has been right and we've been wrong". While the targeted buyer will change to a younger generation as you suggest, the basic plan for Corvette is etched in stone. If a mid-engine is the only platform for the future, then it will be priced somewhere around $60K to start. Maybe a two platform marketing plan is in the future. Maybe a two marque, two car plan is in the future, but Corvette will still be the more affordable high performance vehicle that's a thorn in every high priced performance cars marketing plan.
If the C8 is a rear only engine car, it will have to start in the 55-60K price rage. There is a good possibility of a rear engine and a front engine car in corvette's future.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Yeah -- what the hell is wrong with those older people anyway? Don't they know it's time to let go of what they want/like and embrace the latest trend???

Anyway, the statement that GM (and Harley) have a problem with Boomers is completely and demonstrably false. They ONLY way Boomers can influence GM (or any other company) is if GM wanted the Boomers to purchase their products. Period. If GM doesn't need Corvette sales to Boomers, then they can create a product that completely ignores what Boomers want with impunity. No problem.

Any "problem" would only manifest itself if GM's master plan for a product was not in sync with the desires of its target market. In that case, it's a lack of intelligence of the Marketing or product planning team, *not* a problem with the customers. That's just Marketing 101 stuff.

Warms the heart to see a true Corvette fan gush about his love for the marque. Hopefully other people's passions and life won't get in the way of you making some money.
GM did market a car(actually three of them) for the Boomers. The Solstice and the Sky and the Aztek. Combined sales of the Solstice and the Sky were actually pretty good but at the very low price at which GM had to sell them for, GM wasn't making any money off them.

Even when Pontiac and Saturn bit the dust, GM recognized that it wasn't worth keeping the two spots cars in production(relabeled), because there was no profit in them.

The Aztek was marketed towards the Boomers and it's sister, the Buick Rendezvous, was marketed towards the older group of buyers. The Aztek was ugly and priced to high for it's targeted market. The Rendezvous was priced the same but it's targeted market could afford them and the styling was much subdued, more fitting the tastes of the older buyers.

We all know what a sales failure the Aztek was, and the Buick version lived on selling to the older crowd.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-17-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM did market a car(actually three of them) for the Boomers. The Solstice and the Sky and the Aztek. Combined sales of the Solstice and the Sky were actually pretty good but at the very low price at which GM had to sell them for, GM wasn't making any money off them.

Even when Pontiac and Saturn bit the dust, GM recognized that it wasn't worth keeping the two spots cars in production(relabeled), because there was no profit in them.

The Aztek was marketed towards the Boomers and it's sister, the Buick Rendezvous, was marketed towards the older group of buyers. The Aztek was ugly and priced to high for it's targeted market. The Rendezvous was priced the same but it's targeted market could afford them and the styling was much subdued, more fitting the tastes of the older buyers.

We all know what a sales failure the Aztek was, and the Buick version lived on selling to the older crowd.
The Aztek wasn't a Marketing failure as much as it was a design and management failure. From the reports I've seen, most on the Aztek team thought it was going to fail, but due to a heavy handed "my way or the highway" management approach, everyone was afraid to say anything about it.

Anyways, my point was not that GM needs to market the Vette to Boomers, but rather that it is free to design and market the Vette to any market segment it chooses. Luckily GM isn't the Government and can't demand anyone to just "shut up and buy our cars!"
Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Yeah -- what the hell is wrong with those older people anyway? Don't they know it's time to let go of what they want/like and embrace the latest trend???

Anyway, the statement that GM (and Harley) have a problem with Boomers is completely and demonstrably false. They ONLY way Boomers can influence GM (or any other company) is if GM wanted the Boomers to purchase their products. Period. If GM doesn't need Corvette sales to Boomers, then they can create a product that completely ignores what Boomers want with impunity. No problem.

Any "problem" would only manifest itself if GM's master plan for a product was not in sync with the desires of its target market. In that case, it's a lack of intelligence of the Marketing or product planning team, *not* a problem with the customers. That's just Marketing 101 stuff.

Warms the heart to see a true Corvette fan gush about his love for the marque. Hopefully other people's passions and life won't get in the way of you making some money.
To be honest the last thing on my list is to warm someone's heart over a car. I got something for sale you're free to buy it or move on. You are in Vegas when the boomers die assuming you are not one of them there will be another fire sale on Condos.

I don't see the "kids" driving $50K Corvettes but do see them driving $50K + foreign modded cars. Nor do I see them driving Harleys but crotch rockets.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Shadeux
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think because the C7 received a name "Stingray" there will be two models. Corvette Stingray and Corvette Zora.(or whatever) I would not be surprised to see a Cadillac sibling as well. C7's are way too young to quit making them yet.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
One observation which I guess is apparent --go to Corvette Rally and at 75 you are Young.. Go to a Porsche or Camaro Rally etc at 50 you are ancient. That's GM'S dilemma.....
Harvey,
You are right about the age of Corvette owners. However, I am confused by your use of the term rally. Rallys to me mean some sort of performance event. It is rare to see a Corvette Rally (performance event) or to see an older Corvette driver even there. Most Corvette performance events have to invite owners of other marques to participate since there aren't enough Corvette owners interested in participating. They are too afraid of getting their engine compartment dirty, getting dirt on their wheels and stones in their tire treads.

Heaven forbid if anybody asks them to rev the engine up while in any gear as the car might actually go fast.

How many Corvette clubs have any sort of a performance event? Not many and they are few and far between. Most of them are meet and eat clubs that think they are busy when they run a couple of car shows each year and participate in cruises around the country side.

At 75 I find myself one of the oldest of the performance oriented Corvette owners, although I do know a few that are up to 5 years older. I still like running 150 mph accelerating up a long straight and feeling the cornering prowess of the car.

I still believe in Show and Go where you are precluded from showing your car anywhere unless you can whip out some sort of documentation that shows you actually drove it hard on a road course, autocross course or a drag strip. That is the heritage I picked up from my predecessors.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
rcooper (06-11-2019), VERBOTEN (01-19-2017), z06801 (06-14-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

When we were kids growing up back in early seventies, my friends father always kept the hood open. I asked him why? He said to let the heat out and cool off the engine. I Thought about it but never did it. Oh well!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:12 PM
RedMercy
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue-C7 of Jax
If the C8 is a rear only engine car, it will have to start in the 55-60K price rage. There is a good possibility of a rear engine and a front engine car in corvette's future.
mid engine, not rear
Old 05-09-2019, 06:54 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought I had more time (face in hands sobbing.)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Let's hope he is as wrong about the five years as he is about everything else in his post as half of the five years is over now.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:35 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond!
I think the mid engine Corvette will happen along with a Cadillac pal. I don't think the front engine car will go away. The mid engine car will be an additional Chevrolet model maybe not even badged as a Corvette. In fact it could be called the Chevrolet Grand Sport or The Chevrolet Manta Ray without the Corvette name attached to it at all. This would allow GM to have their cake and eat it too and ask a near $200K price for them and not hurt the Corvette sales or heritage in the least.
Well you can throw out the theory. GM has already announced the Corvette C8 to be ME and released the C8 crossed flag emblem.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:37 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

The "related thread" crap on the CF app strikes again with a poster posting in the wrong thread and digging up a 2 year old different thread.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I think the Corvette should stay Chevy only. Marketing a Corvette under the Cadillac name will only make the Corvette demographic appear even older to buyers of the Corvette. Second, Cadillac needs to get their house in order, and they don't need the distraction of a sports car. They've already tried and failed at selling a two seater car twice.
The following users liked this post:
Fox (06-14-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 PM
C8UR911
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 138 Posts

Zzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

How did this 2017 thread get revived?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Why do you care. you buy all new versions of the corvette cause you have more money than god...LOL

Last edited by Garret; 05-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:09 AM
GTJeff
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

GM lost about $10k per car on the Solstice and Sky twins. One of the key reasons was the decision to build them with hydroformed body panels that could not be produced in large quantities. Uncle Bob bragged the Solstice would have a $19,999 MSRP, GM raised the price by $2-3k the next year. He built what he wanted, while Pontiac owners wanted another Fiero. Typical GM (Generally Mediocre) at work. They also foolishly built both as convertibles only until the 2009 Solstice coupe arrived. One car should have been a coupe only, the other could have offered both versions. The Sky had an aggressive look and it should have been in a Pontiac showroom, not the jelly bean looking Solstice.

GM made money every year the plastic bodied Fiero was sold and sales averaged 74k units per year. I personally would not count out a Fiero return and it being the 2nd car built at BG. There are rumblings about Toyota bringing back the MR2 again. GM did look at moving Fiero production to Bowling Green back in 1988 before canceling the car and sending the Fiero tooling to Spring Hill to build boring Saturns. Had that happened, there could have been a production ME Vette 30 years ago.

Mary Barra's first job at GM was in the Fiero plant, she even owned a Fiero for a while. So far, she has turned her back on Pontiac and almost every other GM car except the Corvette.

Last edited by GTJeff; 05-12-2019 at 12:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick thought-mid engine Corvette

Old 06-09-2019, 02:20 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

CORVETTE has had a very large loyal base over the decades, because of some basics:
performance, design, price, and functionality(level of practicality).
some owners are concerned about it becoming less so on the last element- perhaps not enough space for a set of golf clubs or luggage.
these concerns seem to have been marginalized or even to the point of being ridiculed.
some have no issues and are completely willing to compromise for performance,design, price irregardless.

imo the result may fracture the base, while at the same time with a-wing-and-a -prayer hoping to attract/appeal to a more youthful set.

I hope some within the GM/Corvette organization recall when the original CORVETTE(1953) appeared on the scene. lack of functionality(basic)practicality almost killed it when the 1955-57 Thunderbirds appeared and filled the void with a corvette killing sales ratio of 16-1. -GM hasn't made that mistake since..
imo a little more interior room and very acceptable storage is not to much to ask for. actually long time corvette owners shouldn't even have to ask, since historically it has been a given.
GM learned their lesson some 60 years ago: performance, design, price alone isn't always enough.
i suspect some will be just content to cruise south beach, palm springs,palm beach, or rodeo drive
in their C8, and then go home get the c6 or c7 and take an extended weekend golf excursion.

hope the C8 does remain tried and true its roots.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Multiple packages

Multiple packages of ME will exist! $65k Base to $190k for the 1000hp Zora!
Fun times just hope look is a big winner!!!

Last edited by faninc; 06-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

There is definitely a void in the cheap mid-engine market. We still don't know how GM will utilize the large expansion at Bowling Green and the additional workers. Perhaps, July 18 will reveal that as well.

Quick Reply: Quick thought-mid engine Corvette