Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the new mid-engined Corvette....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Only Germany has unlimited sections of highway. And there are less and less every year due to population and congestion.

However in all of western Europe the typical limit is 130 KPH on freeways (that's 81 MPH) and frankly I feel we should have an 80 or 85 MPH national speed limit. States would then only be allowed to limit the speed to lower than that where congestion or road design doesn't allow for 80 or 85 MPH.
I HATE fully autonomous cars (where it is your only option, I would love to have it on an on/off switch)and I DO NOT want to get in a discussion specifically about them but they do offer a potential to be very amazing for us sports car lovers. Speed limits are a product of 2 main factors: safety and generating revenue. The revenue will start going away with autonomous cars one way or another so there is not much you can do about that. But as far as safety goes, what if in sports cars instead of making it completely autopilot, they take the same technology and use it on sports cars as a way to have some next level crash avoidance? If autonomous cars are as safe as people say they are going to be and with them developing some very high tech racing software that can react very quick, and with people already saying you could raise speed limits with autonomous/semi high autonomous cars, you could potentially remove speed limits on roads where conditions allow it. I mean if we are using the same hardware and software that the autonomous cars are using, you could be driving along and 100+mph and if something happens that causes a potential crash and you don't react quick enough, the computer could avoid it for you and it would be just as safe as an autopilot car because.... you know.... its using the exact same technology. Now obviously this no speed limit thing could be limited to roads that don't have very may intersections and no sidewalks and when traffic is not bad like it is in rush hour.

There is already statistics that say Germanys autobahn is safer than Americas highways even with the no speed limits. With this type of crash avoidance it could be very safe, and in america which has a lot of wide empty open spaces, there are many locations where traffic would not be an issue.

Last edited by theboom; 02-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The dumbing down of society.

As we allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security (and driving LAZINESS) with blind spot monitors, crash avoidance, automatic cruise control, I think what actually happens is we all become WORSE drivers.

As far as speed limits, we all know that they are set artificially low in the states. The University of Texas did an exhaustive study years ago where they covered the speedometer on various cars and had folks drive at the speed they were comfortable. In almost every case, the "comfortable" speed was 10 - 15 MPH HIGHER than the posted speed limit. This study covered city/highway driving.

As to why the C7 doesn't have these "features", Tadge stated there wasn't room for them. They would need to go where the transmission coolers is for instance.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I've driven cars with blind spot detection. I like it. I like knowing where all the cars are on the road, so if someone starts drifting in my lane, I can take action.

Michael
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
As far as speed limits, we all know that they are set artificially low in the states. The University of Texas did an exhaustive study years ago where they covered the speedometer on various cars and had folks drive at the speed they were comfortable. In almost every case, the "comfortable" speed was 10 - 15 MPH HIGHER than the posted speed limit. This study covered city/highway driving.
Doesn't alot of it have to do with the fact most speed limits were created decades ago?! Cars are significantly more advanced now. Your average car now is as capable as a sports car from 20-30 years ago.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

^^^ Perhaps, but the average driver of those cars are even less capable/educated (about driving, specifically) than 20-30 years ago.

Oh, and infinitely more distracted.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-07-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^ Thats probably true. I'm just saying for the study if your aware and paying attention is significantly easier to speed in any car today then when speed limits were made. I catch myself all the time in the corvette cursing 25-30 over speed limit and not even realizing it because it's so easy and comfortable.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-07-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

^^^ Betcha only do that when caught.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-07-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:17 PM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Different objectives .....
Safe - will take all the help I can get .... nanny is not all bad ....
Fun - that comes from G's, in all directions .... please make it be so ..... more that is ....
Cool - personal opinion .... but killing off distracted driving would be very good ....
Value - double up on that .... $$$s .... $$s .... $s ....
Convenience - fast helps and may be the good thing from the computers .... Scottie!
Comfort - every year that one gets a bump ..... conflict with G's is the concern ....
Learning - the computer takes new driving skills ..... are you ready? Pat
Old 03-04-2017, 04:42 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

My issue with all the safety nannies (often presented as "Convenience features") is that they lull folks into an unhealthy and unsafe sense of false security. They also become a crutch for bad/distracted driving. Driving is an enjoyable but very serious activity that should have all one's attention. It shouldn't be lost on anyone that cell phone distraction (especially texting) has replaced driving while impaired as the #1 cause of accidents.
The Toyota commercial with the 2 teenage girls singing away and drifting into another lane, only to be saved by their mighty Corolla sends a horrible message. The message is: "Don't worry about driving safely, the car will save you". Maybe, maybe not.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (03-04-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Spacewalker
BSM is body side moulding. always has been. another acronym will be needed for Blind Spot
If the car has blind spot, how long can the dog run alongside the car or is there a running board or something ?

I guess it's the backseat driver ?

I do agree a false sense of security...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 03-05-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Johnny Mayday
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't minded BSM in the cars I've driven with it. But I'm not sure how much it would matter to me on the C8. I don't think of it as something that would be a feature of a high-end sports car, but that's probably just me.

Quick Reply: Will the new mid-engined Corvette....