Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts
Default C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists

This car will different EVERYWHERE. Smaller displacement, higher revving, turbo charging, AWD will eventually be adopted, completely different proportions, etc....and I can't wait. Tadge is a closet Porsche lover...I know it. He prefers lower displacement higher revving engines. He is already on record as saying he prefers higher revving engines.

Traditionalist will cry, moan and groan like you've never seen before. You think people lost their mines when the floppy headlights and round lights disappeared? This place is going to go nuts.

This will be the corvette that completely turns it back on the traditional corvette customer base. It's the big middle finger to the traditionalists...but it had to happen in order to appeal better to the next generation.

Who else can't wait for the fireworks around these parts, Lol!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Except....
The mid engine car is NOT the C8. There have been literally dozens of posts by people that KNOW stating that the C8 is NOT the mid-engine car. I don't know how many times it has to be said.
The C8 is going to be an EVOLUTION of the C7, to be released in 2021, most likely.

Leaked GM documents show a "LT5", a 6.2L V8 with DOHC, VVT, etc coming soon. Doesn't take a medium to place that engine squarely in the engine bay of the mid-engine car.
And, I'm pretty certain that NO company shows a middle finger to a customer base that purchases 30,000+ cars a year at $60,000 - $100,00 each. 30 years ago, Porsche tried your "middle finger" with the 928....how'd that work out?

So, other than the above, I'm sure you're right...

PS. Tadge is "on record" saying how much he loves the LS7....that's the extent of Tadge's "on the record" comment on higher revving engines.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Ya I've gotta agree with JimmyB on this, as there is absolutely no way GM would intro a ME platform as the full up next gen Corvette. Not gonna happen, and if I were a betting man, I would put money on it.

Having said that what's more likely to happen is this ME car is a stand alone in order to purposefully gage it's reception and ​shake out any issues in this new platform. Next they intro an evolution of the C7 as the next generation C8, and we will probably see the C8Z or ZR1 using the ME platform. That's simply following history, because for the last two generations the performance in the top dog became the benchmark for lower models.

You and anyone who genuinely thinks the C8, as in the entire next generation Corvette will all be ME, is simply misguided. If you can't understand how bad of a move that would be for a company, then we really can't continue this conversation because you just don't get it. Yes, there will be a ME car and yes there's a chance that later gen Vettes could be ME, but to intro a brand new "untested" (in the hands of the consumer) platform as the next gen is preposterous.
The following users liked this post:
ZishanM (03-14-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:36 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

The turbo engine is not really GMs choice. ALL the car companies apart from Tesla are being forced into smaller displacement turbo engines to prevent Global Warming, fight extinction of unicorns, and help trannies like Michelle.

This is why new Ferraris and FORD GT have turbos as well
NocarbutaVetteforme (03-18-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

The C8 will absolutely be a ME. That said, we probably won't see it in full production until 2020 as the C7 will live on for a few more years. The C7 ZR1 is getting the LT5. A detuned variant of that engine will also power the base C8 ME.

Anyone who still thinks GM is developing a front engine C8, at this point, is delusional.

Tadge's father owned Porsches. Tadge grew up around Porsches. He is on record, as you also conceded to, stating he preferring higher revving engines. He hasn't been given the open door to change up the formula. I think the C8 will give him that opportunity.

Manufacturing retooling costs at the factor should alone point to the fact that the C8 will be a rear mid-engine platform.

The formula will change folks. Going forward, GM will not be building Corvettes for 75 year olds. The C7 will be THE last Front mid engine design. You can take that to the bank. I've already said too much.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 03-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

It would be neat having a high reving mid engine car that sounds like Foumula 1 race car.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The C8 will absolutely be a ME. That said, we probably won't see it in full production until 2020 as the C7 will live on for a few more years. The C7 ZR1 is getting the LT5. A detuned variant of that engine will also power the base C8 ME.

Anyone who still thinks GM is developing a front engine C8, at this point, is delusional.

Tadge's father owned Porsches. Tadge grew up around Porsches. He is on record, as you also conceded to, stating he preferring higher revving engines. He hasn't been given the open door to change up the formula. I think the C8 will give him that opportunity.

Manufacturing retooling costs at the factor should alone point to the fact that the C8 will be a rear mid-engine platform.

The formula will change folks. Going forward, GM will not be building Corvettes for 75 year olds. The C7 will be THE last Front mid engine design. You can take that to the bank. I've already said too much.
Well, one of us will be the Red Shouldered Hawk and one will be the CROW. We'll find out soon enough. I hope you take no offense if I don't involve my bank account based on your VERY confident tone...

Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

They already started flipping the bird at Corvette traditionalists with non-circular tail lights.....
sam90lx (03-17-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:31 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, or being incredibly sarcastic. So you're telling me you honestly believe the entire 8th generation Corvette (base to hipo model) will all be ME? As in zero front engine cars?

Seriously, you sound a little troll like, especially with that last line, "I've already said too much." Really? You'll have to excuse me for not running to place my bets based on random internet guy #798,653.
jimmyb (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Well, isn't this fun?

First, there's NO way a DOHC V8 (LT5) will fit under a C7 hood. Next, GM is well aware that a large part of Corvette's appeal is it's utility. A mid-engine car doesn't have that so I doubt that we'll see a fully mid-engine Corvette line.

Other than that, I think you're spot on
Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Paul's certainly no troll. Like most humans on the planet, I have no idea whether the MR car will be a vette, let alone a C8. However, I do believe that eventually the vette will move entirely to an MR platform. I don't think it will happen right away, because I agree that it would really **** off the traditionalists.

The vette has always been offered as the most technologically advanced performance car in the GM lineup. As standards and technology have changed, GM has always kept pace. However, we're at a point of diminishing return in a wide range of areas with the current configuration...

1) Which American car is the vette's direct competitor for the street? Nearly all of the exotic competitors are already MR. The vette could be the discount exotic MR...made in the USA.
2) Can the current configuration handle considerably more HP and TQ...or hybridization? If so, how does it manage wheelspin?
3) Without a change how does the vette stay relevant and compelling, given that its demographic is getting older?
4) Without a change to MR configuration, how does Corvette compete against Ford, Porsche and Ferrari in racing?
5) How can the current configuration achieve significant weight reduction while keeping all of the accoutrements owners expect?
6) The C7 was an evolution of the C6. Isn't it time for GM to make a revolutionary vette?
The following 3 users liked this post by Glenn Quagmire:
Boiler_81 (03-06-2017), Gonzo (03-07-2017), Red Devil (03-15-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nvusgt
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, or being incredibly sarcastic. So you're telling me you honestly believe the entire 8th generation Corvette (base to hipo model) will all be ME? As in zero front engine cars?

Seriously, you sound a little troll like, especially with that last line, "I've already said too much." Really? You'll have to excuse me for not running to place my bets based on random internet guy #798,653.
Oh no, no, no. Not trolling. Having a little fun, but not trolling. I am just telling you want is going to happen. Corvette has a MASSIVE target demographics problem. I won't repeat myself so I will just leave it at that.

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Paul's certainly no troll. Like most humans on the planet, I have no idea whether the MR car will be a vette, let alone a C8. However, I do believe that eventually the vette will move entirely to an MR platform. I don't think it will happen right away, because I agree that it would really **** off the traditionalists.

The vette has always been offered as the most technologically advanced performance car in the GM lineup. As standards and technology have changed, GM has always kept pace. However, we're at a point of diminishing return in a wide range of areas with the current configuration...

1) Which American car is the vette's direct competitor for the street? Nearly all of the exotic competitors are already MR. The vette could be the discount exotic MR...made in the USA.
2) Can the current configuration handle considerably more HP and TQ...or hybridization? If so, how does it manage wheelspin?
3) Without a change how does the vette stay relevant and compelling, given that its demographic is getting older?
4) Without a change to MR configuration, how does Corvette compete against Ford, Porsche and Ferrari in racing?
5) How can the current configuration achieve significant weight reduction while keeping all of the accoutrements owners expect?
6) The C7 was an evolution of the C6. Isn't it time for GM to make a revolutionary vette?
Thank you, The hardcore traditionalist are in their mid 70s. Not all, but the far majority of them anyway. Those folks will buy ANY corvette. GM knows this. #1 agenda = appeal to the next generation of buyer. Do it not...and the corvette dies when those gentlemen in their mid 70s stop buying vettes...and that day is soon approaching. That is the reality, folks...whether you want to admit it or not. No trolling...its the truth. We still have 3 or so years of C7 production and the C8 will arrive in ME form.

But it's going to be ok, folks...

Last edited by Paulchristian; 03-06-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Boiler_81 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

^^^ Maybe some will, but a bunch of us old farts won't buy just any ole Corvette. I'm one of those that won't buy something I don't like.

I don't have to be the first kid on the block to have the new toy, and if I don't like the new toy, I'll keep what I have.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-06-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

^^^ Respect, Joe. Of course not all. You can be in my corvette circle anytime. Still love the C6Z/ZR1 and still think, in many ways, I'd rather own one than a C7. They, in my mind, are still the best bargain street legal race car on the planet. There is something about the C6 wide-body cars that just look so tight, muscular, and compact. Love them. Always will. I will have a Carbon or ZR1 next to Viper soon.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-06-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

The new mid rear will be called the Zora and will be a additional model to supplement the C7 which will remain a mid front. Both will continue as such to appeal to both mid front and mid rear fan base. That is the only logical approach to the marketplace. It is also obvious from the huge addition at Bowling Green that they will have two separate lines for the two separate configurations. Ferrari has both MR and MF and Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Porsche are all moving in that direction.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

...and one other thing.

That mid engine car we see winter testing...that is a pieced together car with a generic front and rear clip around the cabin of a C7. That thing does not even remotely represent what the proportions of the ME will actually look like.

But it's going to be ok, folks...
Just like others I'm curious to see the final iteration of the C8 that will hit the road. However, part of me isn't thrilled with the aspect of a mid-engine Vette since it will be moving further up the price scale & I won't be able to afford it & that really isn't ok with me.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 03-06-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

The basic problem with the OP's idea is that the current aging Corvette demographic (that would be us) IS the end of the line. The Corvette has lived for 64 years, so it's seen a lot of loyalist/fans come and go. The notion that THIS group of buyers (us) is THE END of the line is incorrect and kind of a hysterical reaction that won't prove to be correct. The 911 has a very similar demographic (and always has) to Corvette and it soldiers on as a very successful line. The notion that the old guys (us) die out and no one takes our place is, clearly, historically inaccurate. To think that GM is going to change the entire dynamic in THE HOPE that some massive pack of younger buyers will embrace the Corvette to the tune of 30,000+ units a year is a HUGE bet that NO ONE would make.

Should GM make a mid-engine Corvette (finally) to, in my mind, show off their technological chops. Absolutely. But, they're not stupid. Paul can pull the "that's all I can say" comment but common sense tells us that is not reality. There's no way GM is willing/brave enough to ignore the VERY real amount of dollars Corvette brings to the coffers based on the HOPE that some questionably financially able young demographic will embrace a Corvette to the sales/dollar level it's enjoying now.

PS: I could be dead wrong

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-07-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
The turbo engine is not really GMs choice. ALL the car companies apart from Tesla are being forced into smaller displacement turbo engines to prevent Global Warming, fight extinction of unicorns, and help trannies like Michelle.

Yes and no. CAFE standards affect brands like Ferrari harder since they have no "economy" cars they can spread the burden across.

The Ford GT has more to do with them showcasing the ecoboost engine than emissions.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68

I think that this weeks turbo craze shows the ongoing flaws in EPA/CAFE testing and how it's done. The new 718 Boxster/Cayman prove that. The turbo 4's don't get better mileage than the old flat 6.
Look at the Ecoboost F150's compared to Silverado V8's...same deal.
When you NEED power, a turbo 6 drinks just as much gas as a V8.

Ferrari went to turbo V8's to keep up in the ongoing HP war with McLaren/Lamborghini. They certainly weren't trying to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-07-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even if they were trying to avoid the tax...doesn't the federal govt. mandate certain fuel economy standards in order to sell a car here in the USA?

Quick Reply: C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists