Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Zora update

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Yep, my Hendrick dealership has been taking deposits for quite a while.
I don't know of any dealership that won't take your money. Be it for a car on the lot or a myth like Big Foot.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-06-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
So ppl are putting money down or deposits on a car that they don't know for sure will be built and if it does it might not even be under the Corvette brand... this is too perfect of an example of American consumerism haha

Dealerships = banks right now
YUP.

As you go up market with low volume cars, this is how it's done. Want an upcoming GT2? You better have had cash down a while ago! Want a 720S? Same thing.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM
0Brent@StasekChevy
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

We are taking deposits for a ZR1 or a mid engine, whichever or whatever ends up being built (or both!). All fully refundable and all vehicles not to be sold over list/MSRP.

Thanks!

Brent
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Brent, that's a pretty solid deal. To be 100% refundable and NOT go over msrp for a 1st yr brand new model!!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The folks doing that are corvette traditionalist that don't want to live in reality. The C8 will be ALL different. A new formula targeting the next up coming generation of buyers. The C7 will live on for 3 more years (maybe 4), but it will be THE last front engine corvette.

The C8 will be a rear mid-engine. The people saying otherwise are all corvette traditionalists. The C7 brought in younger buyers and got young people thinking about Corvettes again. The C8 will be more in that direction.

alot of people made guesses on the C7 and it wasn't that big of a change from the C6 all things considering. Sorry if I laugh at your predictions as well.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Dreamers love to dream....

Last corvette generation had its budget sliced and diced due to the implosion of the entire US economy...

This time around GM is much leaner and meaner...

I'm hopeful the new c8 is rear mid engine and very different...

Not that o don't love the current corvette....just after 20 years of buying new corvettes it would be interesting to see and drive something totally different.

Performance wise the current c7 z06 and upcoming ZR1 are above reproach...

Who even knows if the rear mid engine design will actually improve upon its track performance compared to those icons...

Should be interesting to see what finally comes out which originally was a dream of Zora Dontov of many decades ago.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Dreamers love to dream....

Last corvette generation had its budget sliced and diced due to the implosion of the entire US economy...

This time around GM is much leaner and meaner...

I'm hopeful the new c8 is rear mid engine and very different...

Not that o don't love the current corvette....just after 20 years of buying new corvettes it would be interesting to see and drive something totally different.

Who even knows if the rear mid engine design will actually improve upon its track performance compared to those icons...

Should be interesting to see what finally comes out which originally was a dream of Zora Dontov of many decades ago.
This makes me laugh. Why not buy a competitor that fits what you want then? Why completely change the Corvette because you want something 'different'?

That's like being tired of America's laws and way of life, and wanting to change it instead of just moving to a country that fits your lifestyle and needs. It makes zero sense to me.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 04-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
CPhelps (04-10-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

There will be a plethora of ZR1, Zora, whatevers. I'm happy waiting 6-12 months for the 15% off deals to start.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

alot of people made guesses on the C7 and it wasn't that big of a change from the C6 all things considering. Sorry if I laugh at your predictions as well.
I remember when people thought it was going to be a lot lighter because of some statement saying the frame is 100lb lighter. people were figuring it would be lighten the the c6z06 base..When the c7 finally came out that sucker got a pit porkier and of course no one believed the taillights/rendering that Jalopnik put out a YEAR BEFORE was really what it looked like... I watched the meltdown
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

This makes me laugh. Why not buy a competitor that fits what you want then? Why completely change the Corvette because you want something 'different'?

That's like being tired of America's laws and way of life, and wanting to change it instead of just moving to a country that fits your lifestyle and needs. It makes zero sense to me.
the car companies don't care about that. a majority (notice i said a majority, not all) of buyers who prefer the current style of corvette will be dead within 20 years. a majority of the millennia kids don't care much about cars or home ownership, or reading/listening to repetitive b/s news that just gets recycled with new names, faces and places, but maintains the same fear based content. a recent prediction stated that there was a possibility that used car prices might be 50 percent lower in 5 years.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...3Bb?li=BBnbfcN

so gm is looking at how to keep its business going, not at what a small section of its car buyers want or don't want. at some point sticking to the old paradigm will bankrupt you, so providing what people will buy and sales methods they prefer in the future are absolutely essential to stay healthy economically. sears and jc penney are perfect examples of what happens if you ignore it.

in case you aren't paying attention, there has been a massive change in "America's...way of life" since the internet became so widely used.

Last edited by senah; 04-10-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:16 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by senah
the car companies don't care about that. a majority (notice i said a majority, not all) of buyers who prefer the current style of corvette will be dead within 20 years. a majority of the millennia kids don't care much about cars or home ownership, or reading/listening to repetitive b/s news that just gets recycled with new names, faces and places, but maintains the same fear based content. a recent prediction stated that there was a possibility that used car prices might be 50 percent lower in 5 years.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...3Bb?li=BBnbfcN

so gm is looking at how to keep its business going, not at what a small section of its car buyers want or don't want. at some point sticking to the old paradigm will bankrupt you, so providing what people will buy and sales methods they prefer in the future are absolutely essential to stay healthy economically. sears and jc penney are perfect examples of what happens if you ignore it.

in case you aren't paying attention, there has been a massive change in "America's...way of life" since the internet became so widely used.
Massive change in America's way of life? We still have malls, still have movie theaters, still have cars on the ground, havent been back to the moon in 40 years, the biggest change is internet and cell phones. Life hasnt changed that much other than people not socializing in person as much as they use to.

GM has to be very careful about what it does with the Corvette. It is a money maker, and they cannot afford to gamble and lose its' success. They sell more corvettes than any other manufacturer for a car of this level. And they make money on every single one of them. Change for the sake of change is not economically smart. Just ask Coke how that went.

Also, for all of the people clamoring for mid engine, dct, all wheel drive, etc... Do you really want your 150-200k dollar Corvette serviced at a Chevrolet dealership? I sure as hell wouldnt. A friend of mine is a tech for Mercedes. The differences between dealerships, service centers, and employees, is night and day with Chevrolet.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 04-10-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

if you look only on the surface, you might think that the changes aren't massive. change is not coming, it's already here, and it is and will be massive. if you look at non conventional news sources, you will see the reports. also, tesla has surpassed gm and ford in market capitalization. the president was able to get elected by communicating directly with the people and spending almost no money on b/s advertisement, just as jesse ventura did to become governor of minnesota. the lies that we are fed about various large organizations that wield a lot of power over the masses are being shaken to the core.

gm looks at the future and does the best it can to predict what is best for its economic goals. those decisions and actions will determine the future of the corvette, and we will be observers, not decision makers, other than buying or not buying the end product.

Last edited by senah; 04-10-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
There will be a plethora of ZR1, Zora, whatevers. I'm happy waiting 6-12 months for the 15% off deals to start.
yup, pretty much...
Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 PM
RonBurgAM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Massive change in America's way of life? We still have malls, still have movie theaters, still have cars on the ground, havent been back to the moon in 40 years, the biggest change is internet and cell phones. Life hasnt changed that much other than people not socializing in person as much as they use to.

GM has to be very careful about what it does with the Corvette. It is a money maker, and they cannot afford to gamble and lose its' success. They sell more corvettes than any other manufacturer for a car of this level. And they make money on every single one of them. Change for the sake of change is not economically smart. Just ask Coke how that went.

Also, for all of the people clamoring for mid engine, dct, all wheel drive, etc... Do you really want your 150-200k dollar Corvette serviced at a Chevrolet dealership? I sure as hell wouldnt. A friend of mine is a tech for Mercedes. The differences between dealerships, service centers, and employees, is night and day with Chevrolet.
Well hold on just a second... Malls are in a tremendous decline. Anchor stores are getting hammered every year, e.g., Pennys and Sears. Online retail is continually gaining market share.

US Box Office Receipts have increased from $6b to $11b from 1996 to 2016 in actual dollars. In inflation adjusted, it is flat. Over 20 years.

Life is VERY different. Most kids don't give a $hit about cars. Or stereos. Or posters. I agree that GM has to be careful with the Vette, but don't get left behind. There was a $hitstorm over not having round tailights but that may have been the best call ever. Change is good.

Good excuse to post my favorite poster...

Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do you honestly think GM would release a $200,000 car without a specialized division for service requirements? I'm all for the Mid engine car and any and all ZR1 models,just might shine a little light on us long forgotten C4 ZR-1 owners.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Not quite sure what you don't understand in my statement. I like my corvettes serviced at the same trusted dealer. I like the fact that parts for my car when needed are inexpensive especially compared to exotics whose performance the corvette equals or surpasses.

I find it insulting when I read the cost of ownership and maintaince on other brands. I sure as hell have my eyes bug out when my neighbors tell me what they pay for service...(Ferrari, Maserati, porsches, jaguars and BMW s)

GM validates its cars for 300k miles,,and the gmepp extended warranty is ridiculously inexpensive...

Porsche , Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren ,lotus and Alfa are all bend over brands when it comes to the cost of maintaince and repairs...

The pre owned McLaren 12c looked tempting until you looked a little deeper into potiential maintaince costs...

I didn't get to where I am in life by being ridiculous and ultra high cost expensive repairs are not necessary to enjoy among the best sports cars.

That's what corvette stands for..

Strong performance 2 seaters that kick the living crap out of the so called euro trash while costing thousands less and not costing an arm and a leg to service over time...

Still...a mid engine c8 would be the culmination of many concept cars the corvette team has shown....and would be cool to own next time around,

Just my opinions...
Old 04-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Don't forget the Grand Sport. Some people even consider it the most balanced Corvette ever.

Michael
Old 09-10-2022, 02:33 AM
JW Gears
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct about those low production numbers for Corvettes when you are making almost a half a million very profitable Silverados. However, I have read from multiple sources that the profit break even point for Corvette production is 12,000 units per year. When you consistently make 32,000 to 37,000 Corvettes a year, the car is now relevant not only as a "halo car" but as a profit center. I found it interesting that in 2019, the last year of Impala, Lacrosse, and Cadillac XTS production more Corvettes were built and sold than Impalas. I believe the number was something like 17,000 Impalas, and this was a car that sold millions during the 1950's and 1960's an half a million a year in the 1980's and 1990's.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:16 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Five year old thread??? 🧟‍♂️
Red Mist Rulz (09-10-2022)

Quick Reply: C8 Zora update