Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default ZR1 Suspension

Originally Posted by Kappa
This thread title is very misleading.

Anyway, I really can't name any non-midengine 600+hp 3500lb RWD car that isn't hard to handle. To me, that comes with the territory. Porsche has always had this problem with the GT2 and GT2RS. They are called Widowmakers for a reason. We all know the Viper's reputation as well.

While the Z06's power management leaves some to be desired, I think a good alignment and a good throttle foot solves a lot of what most people complain about. I wouldn't call it an issue with the design of the suspension itself. The C7 platform doesn't generate the lap times it does with bad suspension design.
The art of "FEATHER FOOTING" the throttle is a very good skill to have with the cars we have today,back in the day when the tires didn't stick like the tires we have today if you couldn't handle the power you would "FISHTAIL" all over the road or track!
Old 04-03-2017, 03:22 PM
dytryn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Then you have one of the few 650HP cars that is NOT a handful when the nannies are off. OR...you don't "Stomp on the gas in 1st or 2nd".

I assume you have made other modifications to your M3, as I find it hard to believe that you could add that much power without doing LOTS of suspension mods. And if that's the case, well, it's hardly apples/apples.

PS. I said MOST, not ALL
I can't imagine a time where I'd be in 1st at the track. As for 2nd, no, I'd never "stomp" on it. But with track experience comes better modulation skills. I believe that the real difference in the handfulness aspect between the M3 and Vette is both the amount of tq and the overall tq curve, which is much more linear in the M3.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:55 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The powertrain is this car's weakest link: thermal management +part quality.

I've retired it from track work and it had nothing to do with suspension capability. It's a damn shame the car can't be driven hard with a chassis so capable.

There is room for small improvements in the suspension, but I will venture a guess that 99.99% of Corvette owners don't drive hard enough to notice any improvement GM does beyond.

Adding 100hp is likely going to exacerbate this powertrain's weakness.

The average Corvette consumer is getting what it wants. Huge power and good looks for few dollars. For everything else they point at a magazine/pros. The average consumer doesn't drive hard enough to know what this car's flaws really are.

Forget about your magazines, your Pobsts, and your ZR1s. Get in any C7 and drive it as hard as you dare half a dozen times a year on track. I guarantee you it's not going to be the suspension you will complain about.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM
dytryn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The powertrain is this car's weakest link: thermal management +part quality.

I've retired it from track work and it had nothing to do with suspension capability. It's a damn shame the car can't be driven hard with a chassis so capable.
When you write "can't be driven hard," had you tried modifying your car to help handle the track abuse? If not, is that because there are no mods available? Or, the mods are too expensive?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dytryn
When you write "can't be driven hard," had you tried modifying your car to help handle the track abuse? If not, is that because there are no mods available? Or, the mods are too expensive?
Yes, added GMPP second radiator, PS cooling duct, etc. In 18 months or so I got it to run below overheating thresholds for 20 minutes but then you find many electrical and mechanical limits. It's hard to disentangle what's driving what because everything gets so hot. Is the car designed properly except cooling and other things fail because it's running hot, or would things still break down if heat was disposed off properly? Not sure.

In any case, I had no problem running fast on short technical tracks where the suspension geometry is key. I went as fast as Pobst in the new 911 Carrera all stock at Thunderhill 2 mile and I'm just an amateur driver. The car puts power down fine. Improvements can be made but they'll be few and far between.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I wonder what caused a fire in one of the camo mules at Laguns Seca recently. I am hoping the new nose with extra coolers would cure the cooling issues....
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by G fix needy
I wonder what caused a fire in one of the camo mules at Laguns Seca recently. I am hoping the new nose with extra coolers would cure the cooling issues....
I saw the car, they didn't crash it.
The following users liked this post:
G fix needy (04-03-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by dytryn
I can't imagine a time where I'd be in 1st at the track. As for 2nd, no, I'd never "stomp" on it. But with track experience comes better modulation skills. I believe that the real difference in the handfulness aspect between the M3 and Vette is both the amount of tq and the overall tq curve, which is much more linear in the M3.
I agree, my point is that the OP said: "If you stomp on the gas in 1st or even 2nd, the car is a real handful". If one is Tracking a car with 650HP, one should KNOW that you CAN'T "stomp on the gas in 1st..." especially with all the nannies off. And a further thought: The nannies will protect you somewhat, but they don't repeal the laws of physics.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Tires are a huge variable in this equation.

I have 20+ years as an HPDE instructor and racer, and take my dead stock 2016 z51 to the track. In colder temps, the stock MPSS tires can break away very sharply as you apply power out of a turn... race tires would give a much more predictable break-away.

On a hot day, I run in track/race mode, but last WE, I put it into track/sport2, and it was much more managable.

Quick Reply: ZR1 suspension issue