Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cadillac will be mid engine, not Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
The renderings are uninspired.
Looks like an R8 with Cadillac styling.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The purpose of a new Cadillac sports car is not to be in competition with the Corvette, but to get those buyers of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi cars and SUV's to give a look at the Cadillac XTS, CTS, CT6, etc. Cadillac is trying to boost the sales of their mundane lineup of grocery getters and not to run the Corvette out of business.
Right on the money.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Could care less about a Cadillac!! Cadillac has NOTHING on a Corvette with the exception of some nicer Dealerships and better warranty! Other than that it has nothing on it!! The Corvette is a higher caliber and class brand with much richer history and much more affluent customer base! And besides what anyone says, the Corvette is GM's Flagship....period!!

If it goes to Cadillac first then it would be a failure in sales and the Corvette will be playing catch up with its version!

If Cadillac is trying to get to MB, Jaguar and BMW levels then they should worry about getting a real flagship S Class rival. I don't know why a few on here are so hard up to see the Cadillac get this car first??? This ain't the 60's or early 70's folks! Cadillac does not have the same cachet and prestige it had back then. It's coming up but it's not there yet......worry about making a Sedan Flagship first!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 PM
767 cap
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish the Vette were given to Cadillac from Chevy. When you bring your Caddy in for service you are treated really well and a loaner car is always waiting. When you bring your Vette in, your treated like it's a $15000 Chevy. You have to raise hell to get a loaner. If you wait in the lounge it is very poorly appointed and you even have to buy coffee!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 767 cap
I wish the Vette were given to Cadillac from Chevy. When you bring your Caddy in for service you are treated really well and a loaner car is always waiting. When you bring your Vette in, your treated like it's a $15000 Chevy. You have to raise hell to get a loaner. If you wait in the lounge it is very poorly appointed and you even have to buy coffee!
That is not the case where I have taken my Vettes for the past 20 years. I have always received great service and was treated very well. And free coffee. I actually had an espresso last week when I was at the service department. An I normally only drink plain black coffee, but I thought what the hell, I am going to act like a foreign car snob.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by yz250fPilot
If it's a Caddy, I just hope it's not their typical blocky crap-tacular styling...
What the heck are you looking at? Cadillacs are damn good looking now.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

as far as a Cadi being built in BG it wouldn't be the first....oh yeah....in 99 that was breaking news
Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jyounger74
I spoke to someone i know who works for GM. They have informed me that there will be no Corvette mid engine at first. Apparently GM thinks being that Cadillac is the premiere GM product they will make a Cadillac mid engine before the Corvette. I know this sounds crazy but being that Cadillac is now going to be built out of the Bowling Green factory along with Corvette this may be true. The plant is having major renovations adding a second level to build Cadillacs. If this is true many Corvette people will surely be UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I'm sure the Nay Sayers will be chiming in NP but this guy i know is usually spot ON.
http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/g...-bowling-green

Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by RussM05
Darn straight.
I don't get the Cadillac hate here...
I've owned several of the new-age Caddys and loved 'em all.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Mike Furman, one of the premier Corvette guys on the planet said in one of his posts last Sunday that one of his friends/workers has seen the new C8 Mid engine Corvette. I'm assuming if anybody should know about the C8 mid engine Corvette, it's him.
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
OP, I don't know who you talked to or when you heard all this, BUT YOUR ARTICLE LINKED IS FROM THE YEAR 1999 !!!!!!!
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Originally Posted by pewter99
as far as a Cadi being built in BG it wouldn't be the first....oh yeah....in 99 that was breaking news
Exactly. I've been enjoying my Cadillac "Evocq" since 2001....
Oh wait, that was a dream.
Nevermind.

While we're all guessing, I THINK the ME car IS going to be in the Corvette family. My reasons are that making the ME car as a Cadillac first doesn't do anything for Cadillac, anymore than the R8 drives showroom traffic for Audi. Someone that wants an A6, buys an A6....they don't make that call because of the R8. The NSX certainly hasn't pulled Acura out of it's sales doldrums. ME Corvette has been, for DECADES, the unicorn/bigfoot of the car world. Now that it appears that there will be a ME car, it would be foolish to squander the unbelievable amount of hype/good will/etc that a ME Corvette would bring just to give it to Cadillac, where, IMO, it would have little to no effect on Cadillac's place in the market.
This is not Cadillac bashing at all, I had a CTW Wagon, I just believe that a ME Cadillac accomplishes nothing, while a ME Corvette is literally car world changing.

Again, all the above is MY opinion, we'll all know soon (hopefully January 2018).

Jimmy

PS. If we were talking about pre-bankruptcy GM, I would buy the ME Cadillac opinion. GM is different now, and it seems that everything and everybody have to stand on their own 2 feet. Remember when NO car within GM was ALLOWED to be faster than the Corvette? The new ZL1 Camaro shows that this mentality is GONE since one must buy a Z06 to get a faster car (at least in a straight line, and REAL close on a track) than the ZL1. Now, if we can get Porsche to follow the lead with 718 twins!!!!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-06-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Well, I don't know about the rest of ya...but I've been enjoying my Cadillac ME for years now:

Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Wish the Cadillac mid engine sports car would look like that although I'm sure it's so expensive I'll never own one.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Geronimo555
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many GM people read this section and just laugh.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I was told they are calling it the Cadivette Corvair. The Stinger Stipe will be replaced with a portrait of Zora face and the Jake logo will be replaced with a picture of his butt
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
FUNNIEST FUTURE PRODUCT POST I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!!!!!
Yes Sir you are spot on....
Old 04-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
While we're all guessing, I THINK the ME car IS going to be in the Corvette family. My reasons are that making the ME car as a Cadillac first doesn't do anything for Cadillac, anymore than the R8 drives showroom traffic for Audi. Someone that wants an A6, buys an A6....they don't make that call because of the R8. The NSX certainly hasn't pulled Acura out of it's sales doldrums. ME Corvette has been, for DECADES, the unicorn/bigfoot of the car world. Now that it appears that there will be a ME car, it would be foolish to squander the unbelievable amount of hype/good will/etc that a ME Corvette would bring just to give it to Cadillac, where, IMO, it would have little to no effect on Cadillac's place in the market.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
Well, I'm glad you like how they look.

Here's what I'm talking about 'blocky' and has the proportions of a bulldog (..no offense to bulldogs):

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-ca...isual-updates/

I did find this, the ELR, and it looks promising:

http://popularamericancars.com/2017-cadillac-elr/

However, I find the ELR side-window treatment weird-shaped and unattractive as usual for Caddy for that is one of their design cues.

And one more which looks promising, the Cianna:

http://suggestionscar.com/2017-cadil...-review-price/

But they must do something about the hideous quarters. How it starts out with that 'point' on the door must go.

Get notified of new replies

To Cadillac will be mid engine, not Corvette

Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steven bell
op, i don't know who you talked to or when you heard all this, but your article linked is from the year 1999 !!!!!!!

So what if the article is from 99.!!!!! The fact is cadillac is going to be built at bowling green!!!!!! Fact#2 cadillac has let it be known that there will be a mid engine cadillac deal with that!!!!!!. The mid engine c8 will be built after the cadillac mid engine!!!!!.

Last edited by jyounger74; 04-08-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Well, I don't know about the rest of ya...but I've been enjoying my Cadillac ME for years now:

Each to his own, but in my opinion that is so ugly. It's like the stylist could not decide between rounded and angled.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:45 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

It leans toward the "angled" side IMO.

I'll be the first one to admit beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IIRC, this design is at least 10 years old.
I think it still holds up when compared to the current MEs on the market.

Quick Reply: Cadillac will be mid engine, not Corvette