Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Default The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.

Don't misunderstand I love Corvettes and have driven them most of my life. I think each of us drives a Corvette for different reasons but I use mine in the summer for recreation. More importantly I love to take road trips. My current Corvette has all the space my wife and I need to travel.
Performance is important but cruising is my number one.
A lot of owners like to track their Corvettes and I think that's cool. The mid engine will be perfect for increasing the ability for a Corvette to improve lap times. Chevrolet plans on producing both front and mid engine Corvettes to hedge their bet. It will be interesting to see which market is stronger regardless of price.

What do you think?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I'd love to have one!
But sadly, the day I can spend $100k+ on a new car will likely never dawn. Kudos to those of you who have the means. Sure, used prices of the MidVette will come down in price as they age, but I also wouldn't be comfortable spending $60k on a 6-year-old used car with no warranty.

And I think that GM is wise to see that as well and sell it alongside the front-mid engine C7/C8. A Corvette line that starts at $100k+ would be ultra low volume, and likely wouldn't last long under GM beancounters.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-13-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I think I'd like a mid engine powered Corvette alot more than my wallet would.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Difficult to say since there is no mid engine Vette yet to judge on looks, performance and cost. My preference would be the mid engine at this point in the speculation curve.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

There is no telling exactly how much a ME Vette will ultimately cost.
The estimates have been all over the place.
It is coming, but won't be here for awhile...no use getting panties in a bunch until then.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Difficult to say since there is no mid engine Vette yet to judge on looks, performance and cost. My preference would be the mid engine at this point in the speculation curve.
I wasn't clear my bad. I was thinking about the space I have now to store luggage etc. A mid engine car, to this point, gives you enough space for a gym bag.

Last edited by Bill17601; 04-13-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I wasn't clear my bad. I was thinking about the space I have now to store luggage etc. A mid engine car, to this point, gives you enough space for a gym bag.
I rented a Cayman S in Vegas last fall and was surprised that it had 2 trunks/boots. Can stuff more crap in that thing than my vert C7.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,596 Posts

If it's reasonably priced, I'm in, however, with ADMs... I'm sure that it won't be.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends on the final product. I've seen one or two renders that were awesome "yes I would buy that" and others that were as bland as a Toyota. We have no clue yet what it will *really* look like, so we'll have to wait and see.

The one thing I do fear is that the switch to mid-engine may mean the demise of the manual transmission. I DETEST automatics, so even if I love the design, no manual will be a very hard sell for me.

Last edited by ANTIVNOM; 04-13-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

My personal opinion, and I am not trying to be a wise guy, but if your primary concern with respect to corvette ownership is storage space, then I think it is time for a sports sedan. With all due respect.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-16-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
My personal opinion, and I am not trying to be a wise guy, but if your primary concern with respect to corvette ownership is storage space, then I think it is time for a sports sedan. With all due respect.
I appreciate what you are saying. I prefer to tour in a Corvette as I have done since the seventies. All the performance and style not available in a sedan. So my preference is a front engine car with the space I need as compared to a mid engine which does not have the space. Unless it was the previously mentioned Porsche which is not American
c5arlen (04-20-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I appreciate what you are saying. I prefer to tour in a Corvette as I have done since the seventies. All the performance and style not available in a sedan. So my preference is a front engine car with the space I need as compared to a mid engine which does not have the space. Unless it was the previously mentioned Porsche which is not American
You are assuming the mid-engine will not have storage space. It may have less, but I don't see why GM would completely abandon storage space considerations. I am sure they would build considerable storage in the front trunk area and even some additional space behind the seats.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Splitter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Corvette is alluring to me because it is world class performance while staying middle class budget. I don't think they will be able to keep that equation with a mid-engine. Hence, I dont think it will be for me either.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Depends on the final product. I've seen one or two renders that were awesome "yes I would buy that" and others that were as bland as a Toyota. We have no clue yet what it will *really* look like, so we'll have to wait and see.

The one thing I do fear is that the switch to mid-engine may mean the demise of the manual transmission. I DETEST automatics, so even if I love the design, no manual will be a very hard sell for me.
I'm with you but there may be hope. I owned an '87 Fiero GT with a 5 speed. Granted, not the engineering that would go into a Vette but could be done. That little car was like a slot car for its time!

Last edited by Dave Tracy; 04-14-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

mid engine is the key for the future
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM
LazyVette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of performance, they're heading in the right direction. If I had the money would I get one? No. The corvette has been front engine for 7 generations, so its kind of like a heritage thing in my opinion. The front engine layout is what defined American sports cars. All of the European sports switched to the mid engine layout while the corvette stayed. Even with the front engine layout, the corvette was still able to hang with some of the top dog mid engine cars.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Rwp315
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't misunderstand I love Corvettes and have driven them most of my life. I think each of us drives a Corvette for different reasons but I use mine in the summer for recreation. More importantly I love to take road trips. My current Corvette has all the space my wife and I need to travel.
A lot of owners like to track their Corvettes and I think that's cool. The mid engine will be perfect for increasing the ability for a Corvette to improve lap times. Chevrolet plans on producing both front and mid engine Corvettes to hedge their bet. It will be interesting to see which market is stronger regardless of price.

What do you think?
I agree!

When I was in my teens (60's) I always admired the mid-engine European cars. Now that I'm on my 9th corvette ('15 Z51 vert) the foreign cars don't do much for me anymore. Pretty much all look the same.

My wife and I attended the Long Beach Grand Prix last weekend. Her first race as such. When they dropped the flag and no.'s 3&4 came storming into turns 1&2 my wife said WOW and what are those other cars, they all look alike and don't sound as good! I had a good laugh. She said the vettes were the best ones to watch. She got into it and even got upset when on the last turn the mess up blocked no.3, even though no.4 took first. She wanted that 1-2 finish.

So yes in my opinion there should always be a affordable front engine vette.

RWP
sunsalem (04-16-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
If it's reasonably priced, I'm in, however, with ADMs... I'm sure that it won't be.
There is never a reason to pay ADM on a Vette...unless you want to...jmho
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

I'd buy one if I could afford it. Maybe 20 years from now. Lol
Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

What do you think?
Traditional platform has its place. A traditional GT car with lots of storage and lots of capability has huge demand. That said, mid engine sports cars, especially open roof ones...people dreamed of owning cars like that and thought they'd never afford one (both from a purchase and maintenance perspective).

It's not about a competition of which bet is right, and which is wrong. This is to expand Corvette into a larger brand...that's good for whoever you are...the vert guy with the automatic or the mid engine track guy.

Quick Reply: The mid-engine Corvette is not for me.