Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 rendering

Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Love Trixie and Speed!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 AM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default #2 gets my

design vote OF the 3 choices BUT I HOPE FOR BETTER,
Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Thank you, TBIRD57. Given only bad choices, everybody will pick something bad. It's not their fault. That's why I discounted all the choices and made my own. The drawing is in progress. Not finished yet. Maybe I'll have time to finish it. Just wanted to show some ideas. I like the nose. I like that the highest point of the front fender is behind the center of the front wheel. I believe the top of the front fender is the most distinctive styling point of Corvette. Display it. Get it way up there with a crease on top. Compare to the Ferrari 488 below, one of the most beautiful cars in production today. I like the rear fascia and exhaust outlets of this drawing. I would like to see some kind of design creativity in the door of future Corvettes.

-CrudeColorado
Attached Images    

Last edited by KrisColoradoLV; 07-19-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM
KevinSun
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

It's the red one for me, but then, I may be biased by the color scheme.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by John6l6
We'll damn.... I'm in....
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since they haven't been posted yet, I'll throw out my 3 favorite C8 renderings...

#1 (Motor Trend)

#2 (Car and Driver) Seems tame enough to actually be a production car.

#3 (TopSpeed.com) Not mid engine, but that's how I like it.

I'm working on a re-body for a C4, and the side profile is HEAVILY influenced by the Motor Trend rendering... of course I still want it to have Corvette design language, so all in all it is shamelessly derivative.

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 07-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, easily the yellow one. Hopefully they dont mess up the rear end and put small badges - if any - on it.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:31 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda like the yellow one.. the rear of that one looks good.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

This one. This one has a mid engine looking at the front clip. Most of the others too.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Lulz, that's a Lykan HyperSport with modified C7 headlights, a hood vent, and a Vette badge pasted on it.

I still think the only concept that's worth half a **** is the one that Tom Matsumoto did for Motor Trend. All the rest are rubbish as far as I'm concerned. I like how he balanced soft and full flowing curves with modern sharp edges. It doesn't look like a dropped pizza like most of the other concepts I'm seeing, and it's not terribly busy. Does anybody know anything about reflection phenomenon any more? I want to see some curves on the C8.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have not seen a mid-engine design that I can fall in love with (includes currently produced cars). Seems designers have a mind set; Keep the front of the car extremely short and slope it down creating the illusion of being shorter still. Continue aft with a wedge shape profile blending the roof line into an extended rear deck and abruptly chop it off. Some designs have the engine prominently displayed. The side panels are contaminated with air inlets, probably more than necessary, air inlets are currently the in thing. I hope GM designers are better than this.

Last edited by Larry/car; 07-19-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I have not seen a mid-engine design that I can fall in love with (includes currently produced cars). Seems designers have a mind set; Keep the front of the car extremely short and slope it down creating the illusion of being shorter still. Continue aft with a wedge shape profile blending the roof line into an extended rear deck and abruptly chop it off. Some designs have the engine prominently displayed. The side panels are contaminated with air inlets, probably more than necessary, air inlets are currently the in thing. I hope GM designers are better than this.

The only mid engine car that, to me, looks good is the NSX as it doesn't have a overly done bulldog nose and doesn't look like a cheap doorstop and doesn't have all the JC Whitney looking add on scoops/vents molded in cheap looking black plastic.

But even the NSX is not as good looking as the C6 Z06/ZR1/GS, but is a hell of a lot better looking then the renderings we have seen posted of the GM mid engine car, especially the renderings from the wannabe stylists.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:03 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
kinda like the yellow one.. the rear of that one looks good.

There are better ones than that.

Originally Posted by 5.7LSleeper
balance soft and full flowing curves with modern edges. I want to see some curves on the C8.

A good example of soft, full flowing curves with modern edges.

-
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 PM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrisColoradoLV
There are better ones than that.

A good example of soft, full flowing curves with modern edges.

-
Why you mad bro? Is it because the crap you post LITERALLY looks like a dropped slice of pizza?

These are full flowing curves by designers with actually taste (and front engine rwd like a Corvette ought to be):

​​​​​​​

Etc, etc, etc.

P.S. You should give the smudge and blur tool a rest... probably not the best tools for rendering a concept, ha.

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 07-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:49 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Not mad at all Dude. I'm having fun.
I actually thought you were talking about the Lykan HyperSport, since it's red. It looked the most like a pepperoni pizza to me. And when you said, use curves with modern sharp edges, I said Amen to that brother. I used the exact same words on here within the last few months. So no. I'm not mad and didn't mean to harm you in any way.
-
Attached Images    

Last edited by KrisColoradoLV; 07-20-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The blur tool isn't the only tool in Photoshop

Get notified of new replies

To C8 rendering

Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Hey! There's CFHay! You want a slice of pizza? I have plenty. The guy up there has had too much.
Here's one of my favorite slices. With a little smudge and blur on the side. I can spend a lot of time improving the drawing, but... I looked at the current production car competition and all of the renderings on this website, I don't think I need to. If future Corvettes are better than my sketches, then I'll be happy. That's what I am trying to do. I'm not trying to put an extremely good futuristic drawing on here. That would be pointless. Everybody would look at it and say, yeah right, they'll never build that. It's too good. It's too futuristic.

The challenge for me is not to design a car that's better than what is on the road today, or even the next 20 or 30 years. That's easy. Many people can do that. The challenge for me is to actually get the auto manufacturers to build what they are capable of building. They are holding back on purpose. I want to see better.

With enough time, I could make these drawings look like a photograph of a real car. You wouldn't be able to tell if it was a drawing or a real car. I wish I had more time to make it a perfect drawing for you. I don't see the need for that, they are good enough to make my point, and I have bigger things on my plate that I can spend my time on. And I don't have Photoshop. I don't even have a touchpad with a pen. I have my finger and a laptop touchpad. I'm not going to spend a month cleaning up a drawing that someone can do with just one touch of a button with Photoshop.

-
Attached Images  

Last edited by KrisColoradoLV; 07-25-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7LSleeper
Since they haven't been posted yet, I'll throw out my 3 favorite C8 renderings...

#1 (Motor Trend)

#2 (Car and Driver) Seems tame enough to actually be a production car.

#3 (TopSpeed.com) Not mid engine, but that's how I like it.

I'm working on a re-body for a C4, and the side profile is HEAVILY influenced by the Motor Trend rendering... of course I still want it to have Corvette design language, so all in all it is shamelessly derivative.
I really like the MT rendering as well. Don't love the roof vent (I know its probably designed to be functional but just looks a bit off on a production car.) It's probably my favorite.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM
5.7LSleeper
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrisColoradoLV
Not mad at all Dude. I'm having fun.
I actually thought you were talking about the Lykan HyperSport, since it's red. It looked the most like a pepperoni pizza to me. And when you said, use curves with modern sharp edges, I said Amen to that brother. I used the exact same words on here within the last few months. So no. I'm not mad and didn't mean to harm you in any way.
-
Sorry man, I get a little overly defensive on the interwebs when I think someone is hating. I'm honestly just really addimat about seeing more curvy designs now days. I think people are just going a little over board and it doesn't make for a very "flowing" design. I even think the C7 is too much, almost a Lamborghini flavor front end/hood. I'm also using some full curves on the C4 "body kit" I'm working on, so I definitely took it a little personal. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to render cars on a computer, and very time consuming. That's why I limited my computer rendering to basic line drawings, and then transfer that to physical sculpting to see how it will actually look.

Here's a shot of the C4 body kit I'm working on. I think of it as sort of a C7.5, just the way I want it to be, and a bit more extreme (like having no roof, ha). The side profile is essentially just like the Motor Trend rendering, because I think it's so sexy and still screams in the Corvette design language. Hence the reason I was taking your comment a bit personal... I have so much time invested :/ Feel free to throw out constructive criticism, I'm sure you have plenty of ideas rolling around in your head.

https://youtu.be/bPoOQnTeYyw

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
I really like the MT rendering as well. Don't love the roof vent (I know its probably designed to be functional but just looks a bit off on a production car.) It's probably my favorite.
I'm with you on that one. Pretty much the less scoops the better. Even the C7 tranny cooler scoops bother me :/

Last edited by 5.7LSleeper; 07-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 rendering