Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Corvette made a 6 cylinder?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:53 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
imagine how many Vipers would have sold if they sounded like the Hellcat not a UPS truck

l
The Viper sounds like ***. It's performance cannot be denied. But the sound.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:19 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The 6 cylinder is what almost killed the Corvette in the beginning. If you want a 6 cylinder then get a Camaro.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Corvette used a strait 6 until 1955 so that would be 62 years. The first two years the corvette only came with an inline 6.

also yes I'm serious. The corvette was born with a 6.
My '54. Original color, Pennant Blue. I've actually had self proclaimed Corvette experts come up to me and say "That's not a Corvette. Chevy never put a six banger in them." Sure, pal.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nybbler
Here's a thought. The Corvette almost died with that 6 cylinder in it. It was saved by putting the V8 in it (and a better tranny).

I would not be interested in a 240hp Corvette. I'd just go buy a Mustang GT. Or even a Subaru WRX STi. Or a Ford Focus RS. They are less expensive and have more horsepower than that. The horsepower and torque are part of the reason I purchased the Corvette. You take that away and you might as well be selling a Mazda Miata.

I wouldn't have a problem with GM putting a 6 cyl in the Corvette provided it made an appropriate amount of power (400+ hp).
1955 was the first year Chevrolet put a V8 in the Corvette. They only sold 700 of them. 1954 had the inline 6 and they sold 3,640 of them, so it wasn't entirely the fault of the 6 vs the V8. So what was the reason?

By 1955, after 3 years of dismal sales, GM decided there must be no market for an American made 2 seater, so 1955 was to be the last year for the Corvette. What saved the Corvette was the fact that when Ford came out with the T-Bird's in 1955 they figured they would sell 10,000 of them, but they actually sold 16,155, proving GM wrong with regard to American made 2 seaters.

The difference between the 1953-1955 Corvette vs T-Bird was several things that Ford proved appealed to buyers. To put the windows up in the Corvette you had to pull over and get them out of the trunk and screw them to the top of the doors. T-Bird had manual and power windows. The Corvette had a huge 17" diameter steering wheel to muscle it around. The T-Birds had power steering as an option. The Corvette only came with manual brakes while T-Birds had optional power brakes. T-Birds had 12 volts from the get-go, 4 way power adjustable seats, didn't leak when it rained, had a supercharged V8 option, 18 mpg, 4 speed manual or 3 speed automatic transmission, better body fit, easier to get in and out of, etc. Corvettes started out 6 volts, only the driver's seat was adjustable (manual), no superchargers, 2 speed cast iron powerglides only except for the last 15 1955's which were 3 speed manual transmissions, hard to get in and out of, very crude workmanship. By 1957, Ford sold 21,380 T-Birds while Chevy, like I said above, only sold 700 Corvettes. Many of the dealers had a lot of leftover 1954's and they didn't want 1955's.

So Corvette fans owe Ford a debt of gratitude for saving the Corvette.

That's why I have one. Everything no one wanted, and hardly anyone has ever seen a 1953-1954 six banger Corvette in person.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-13-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
1955 was the first year Chevrolet put a V8 in the Corvette. They only sold 700 of them. 1954 had the inline 6 and they sold 3,640 of them, so it wasn't entirely the fault of the 6 vs the V8. So what was the reason?

By 1955, after 3 years of dismal sales, GM decided there must be no market for an American made 2 seater, so 1955 was to be the last year for the Corvette. What saved the Corvette was the fact that when Ford came out with the T-Bird's in 1955 they figured they would sell 10,000 of them, but they actually sold 16,155, proving GM wrong with regard to American made 2 seaters.

The difference between the 1953-1955 Corvette vs T-Bird was several things that Ford proved appealed to buyers. To put the windows up in the Corvette you had to pull over and get them out of the trunk and screw them to the top of the doors. T-Bird had manual and power windows. The Corvette had a huge 17" diameter steering wheel to muscle it around. The T-Birds had power steering as an option. The Corvette only came with manual brakes while T-Birds had optional power brakes. T-Birds had 12 volts from the get-go, 4 way power adjustable seats, didn't leak when it rained, had a supercharged V8 option, 18 mpg, 4 speed manual or 3 speed automatic transmission, better body fit, easier to get in and out of, etc. Corvettes started out 6 volts, only the driver's seat was adjustable (manual), no superchargers, 2 speed cast iron powerglides only except for the last 15 1955's which were 3 speed manual transmissions, hard to get in and out of, very crude workmanship. By 1957, Ford sold 21,380 T-Birds while Chevy, like I said above, only sold 700 Corvettes. Many of the dealers had a lot of leftover 1954's and they didn't want 1955's.

So Corvette fans owe Ford a debt of gratitude for saving the Corvette.

That's why I have one. Everything no one wanted, and hardly anyone has ever seen a 1953-1954 six banger Corvette in person.

I have seen a few and have been lucky enough to see two '53's so far. I have even see a '55 six cylinder which is hard to find because I believe most were ordered as a V8. There is one supercharged '53, its in Lingenfelters collection. It was not supercharged by GM but it was a prototype to try and get GM to put them on. Beautiful '54 by the way.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
I have seen a few and have been lucky enough to see two '53's so far. I have even see a '55 six cylinder which is hard to find because I believe most were ordered as a V8. There is one supercharged '53, its in Lingenfelters collection. It was not supercharged by GM but it was a prototype to try and get GM to put them on. Beautiful '54 by the way.
Thanks. And yes, there were a couple of '55's early in production that snuck through and were still 6 volt/6 cylinder cars. And why Chevrolet ever though a 2 speed cast iron Powerglide was a good idea in a sports car back then is a mystery that will never get solved.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Hellz
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
The 6 cylinder is what almost killed the Corvette in the beginning. If you want a 6 cylinder then get a Camaro.

I wouldn't do that to the Camaro or myself, If you want a V6 drive Equinox :P

I did hear something interesting back around the time of the Buick Grand National's inception I never verified this because at the time I was 18ish and there was no such thing as google lol However I was told that the V6 twin turbo that made it's way into the Buick was originally slated for the Fiero and some GM exec took it around the track once and said no ******* way... lol. That would have been a fun toy imho... probably one worth keeping But like everything someone always finds a way to screw it up... and for those of you on the east coast who had the pleasure of eating a Yodel from Drakes cakes back in the 70's you know what I mean they were awesome, the preceding decades ruined that experience because they started using cheap ingredients in the 80's... anyway just my unsolicited 2 cents.

Last edited by Hellz; 07-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I would not have thought Ford so stupid as to put the stupid ecogarbage in the Ford GT, but they did and it would not surprise me if one ends up in the Corvette.

The one thing I can guarantee is if they do, one will never end up in my driveway. No V8 no care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If Corvette made a 6 cylinder?