Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 AM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
More competition for the high dollar sport car dollar and it is stunning.

And it's not a mid engine design.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...cid=spartandhp

Yep, I concur. That is nice. I thought Lexus should have done something more like that with its front end. The grill and the headlights of the Lexus just doesn't sit well with me.

It looks like BMW took the basic shape of this Lexus (Pic 2) and made it more masculine, aggressive looking. Similar to the modifications I did to the front quarter of it in this rendering I did several years ago (Pic 3).
Attached Images     

Last edited by KrisColoradoLV; 06-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It will sell no matter what the price is I dont see a killer M.E anything selling for under 100k;there will always be buyers just different ones
Old 06-26-2017, 03:30 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The price of a Corvette ME will depend on how it is equipped and its performance rating (just like it has always been).
Old 06-26-2017, 03:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Here is how to design an ME in the 21st century:
Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Just walked the car show where I live and it made me think about the C8 price.

I looked at the McLaren 720S, Lamborghini Performonte, Ferrari 488, and various other high end mid-engine cars. In my opinion, Chevrolet will not match the craftsmanship, bespoke material selection, and overall "oozing" of luxury that these other manufacturers demonstrate. And that's OK by me. That's not Chevy's lane and that's why I was able to buy the world class performance of a Z07 for a third the price of the exotics. The corvette's money is in the performance.

I don't expect anything different in the C8. It will have crazy performance and Chevy craftsmanship. While Chevy did a great job improving the interior with the C7, they still don't build to the exotic's standard. Again, I'm OK with that. I LOVE my Z07.

My opinion is a maximum base price of $140,000 to $150,000, to sell at volume. If they go limited production, like the Ford GT500, this base price could climb significantly.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

You should realize that the article said the C8 was to be a mid engine Corvette at $89,000 in 2019.

If the C8 is a mid engine car then what is the front engine version going to be called? A Chevette at $60,000?

I believe that just about everyone believes that the next generation C8 will be a front engine car very similar to the C7, and that there will be a mid engine car(I'm not sure if it will first be a Cadillac or a Corvette, but I lean towards it being a Cadillac) and will be very expensive(a lot more than $89,000).

At this point no one knows what GM is going to do, and absolutely no one knows what the price of a car that GM has not acknowledged that they are even going to build, is going to be.

So, If I were to believe what the article said, then the next generation C8 will be a mid-engine car and will be $89,000, and my reply is still true that a C8 with a price increase of 50% will kill the Corvette brand. The article said nothing about a second Corvette being added to the lineup, but clearly said that the next generation Corvette(C8) will cost $89,000.

Folks, the article is full of bull. GMAuthority has nothing to do with GM and does not speak for GM.
I don't think "just about everyone" thinks the C8 will be a front engine car along the likes of the C7. I think just about everyone thinks the C8 IS THE NEXT CORVETTE and is a MID ENGINE MODEL
Old 03-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

It is a well know fact(except to you) that when the Corvette's sales dropped to around 20,000 annually in 1992, GM was going to pull the plug on the Corvette.

"halo" model or not, the Corvette has to make money for GM, and high production/sales(for a sports car) has always(since 1963) been instrumental in the Corvette making money.

You would be Surprised as to how many GM customers have absolutely no interest in the Corvette, and the Corvette has absolutely no influence in them buying a Silverado, etc.

Most of them just look at that new Corvette that's in the dealer's showroom as a means of killing time while waiting to see if their loan application has been approved for the Cruz they are wanting to buy. When they walked into the dealer's showroom, they had no idea that a Corvette was even in the showroom, as that was not the reason they entered the showroom in the first place.

For me personally, I went to the dealer to buy a new C5 in 1997 and a new C6 in 2008. I could care less about any other products GM builds, so the Corvette is not an influence(ie: halo) as to what other cars I buy, like my Mercedes daily driver. A Corvette built by GM did not make me buy an Impala vs a Mercedes.
You would be Surprised as to how many GM customers have absolutely no interest in any model GM sells except the CORVETTE
The following 2 users liked this post by Walter Raulerson:
JDMilw (03-22-2018), pdiddy972 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

$89,000 is way to much for an entry level Corvette that is now less than $56,000.

50% increase in price will kill the Corvette.
Unfortunately politics might pay a role in the price in the Mid Engine Corvette and all other cars. Tariffs on steel and ALUMINUM might increase the price of the next CORVETTE
Old 03-16-2018, 02:23 PM
StancyPants
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Walter Raulerson;1596796754]Unfortunately politics might pay a role in the price in the Mid Engine Corvette and all other cars. Tariffs on steel and ALUMINUM might increase the price of the next CORVETTE[/QUOTE

I only know about aluminum because I've followed it for a living during the last 10 years-- there's simply not enough Chinese aluminum in GM's supply chain to appreciably raise the cost... BUT I'm sure we will see some BS selling price increase under the guise of this 232 verdict. YAY POLITICS.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pizz
Just walked the car show where I live and it made me think about the C8 price.

I looked at the McLaren 720S, Lamborghini Performonte, Ferrari 488, and various other high end mid-engine cars. In my opinion, Chevrolet will not match the craftsmanship, bespoke material selection, and overall "oozing" of luxury that these other manufacturers demonstrate. And that's OK by me. That's not Chevy's lane and that's why I was able to buy the world class performance of a Z07 for a third the price of the exotics. The corvette's money is in the performance.

I don't expect anything different in the C8. It will have crazy performance and Chevy craftsmanship. While Chevy did a great job improving the interior with the C7, they still don't build to the exotic's standard. Again, I'm OK with that. I LOVE my Z07.
You bring up a good point.
Anyone believing a GM ME will be a straight up replacement for a McLaren or Ferrari is doing a lot of wishful thinking.
The ME will NOT be an exotic...no way, no how.
My opinion is a maximum base price of $140,000 to $150,000, to sell at volume. If they go limited production, like the Ford GT500, this base price could climb significantly.
I would be surprised if this would be the high-end of MSRP.
Not many will pony up that kind of $$$ for a Chevy.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You bring up a good point.
Anyone believing a GM ME will be a straight up replacement for a McLaren or Ferrari is doing a lot of wishful thinking.
The ME will NOT be an exotic...no way, no how.
If it is not a OHV N/A engine with a manual transmission, I'll keep my

C6Z for another 10 years.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Near six-figures?

I guarantee it will be well over six-figures. Approaching, if not over, $200K.
With the rumors that AUDI may b taking the R8 out of production (or not making a new model),
AND
With the recent demise of Viper;

It is pretty clear that the price point of $120-$130 is not a good place to be. You lose so many potential customers that the volume of production goes down to the point you can't make ends meet over the volume of the model run.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

The article from 'down under' was loaded with old news and old speculation. Hey, $89K for a mid engine 'base' Corvette isn't bad. Remember that the C7 in various configurations as we know them today, will continue on. What's the big deal! If you want to move up past the Grand Sport price point, you can jump to the ME C8. If not, you still have a number of FE options. No one is being priced out of the Corvette brand. All those whining about 'first year issues' and new technology can still opt for the old tried and true C7. It's really not so bad.....
Old 03-17-2018, 11:26 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
The article from 'down under' was loaded with old news and old speculation. Hey, $89K for a mid engine 'base' Corvette isn't bad. Remember that the C7 in various configurations as we know them today, will continue on. What's the big deal! If you want to move up past the Grand Sport price point, you can jump to the ME C8. If not, you still have a number of FE options. No one is being priced out of the Corvette brand. All those whining about 'first year issues' and new technology can still opt for the old tried and true C7. It's really not so bad.....
What I can't wrap my head around is the thought that they would simultaneously build the old generation and the new generation at the same time, this just makes no sense to me. This leads me to believe that the ME car is not the C8. It will be a special model of Corvette but not "the" Corvette. The C8 will follow in traditional platform and the ME will be a special model serving it's own generational timeline.

While anything under six figures is an absolute bargain for a "supercar", pricing the entry ticket for a Corvette above $60K is going greatly affect overall sales volume. Just go look on a dealer lot now with several Corvettes. You will see the MSRP to be averaging in the mid 60's to very low 70's. This is the way dealers order them as this is what they can sell the most of.

I think the last thing GM wants to do is to alienate the majority of it's base, loyal Corvette customers by making the Corvette a "boutique" sports car.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree, I just used the wrong currency. I buy in Canadian money, so that would be $110,000 USD maximum base price. I'd guess it's most likely going to be in the $90,000 USD range.

Any thoughts on whether Chevy will do what Ford has done with the GT? It's their only ME car and it's a very exclusive collector car selling for $400,000 base price, if you can get one.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:25 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't see the C8 being a ME design. If the price is $90k starting then that will eliminate a lot of their buyers, people that buy a new Vette just because a new option came out. Viper was a very nice car but it's price eventually killed it. People would just by a 911 if anything and be done.

I do see them creating an XLR type model (remember that car) that comes out with big hype and a big price and hopefully doesn't suffer the same fate. It was also built along with the C6 at Bowling Green.

In the real world $100-150k cars are not that popular for mass production. Yes, you'll have the few cars here and there such as the 911 but most people are not going to spend $100-150k on a car. Corvette has always been known for having tremendous performance compared to the time it was built, low maintenance costs, great utility, reliable, efficient and a timeless design. Also relatively low insurance rates which a ME design will kill that alone. Its two seats limits it in family duties.
The following users liked this post:
JustinStrife (03-18-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Unfortunately politics might pay a role in the price in the Mid Engine Corvette and all other cars. Tariffs on steel and ALUMINUM might increase the price of the next CORVETTE
Secretary of Commerce Ross said the added cost to a new $35k car due to the tariffs will amount to 1/2 of 1%. I don't think a $100k uses more steel or aluminum. So we're talking a few hundred dollars.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019

Old 03-22-2018, 03:29 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pizz

Any thoughts on whether Chevy will do what Ford has done with the GT? It's their only ME car and it's a very exclusive collector car selling for $400,000 base price, if you can get one.
I don't see it.
The Ford GT is a limited production vehicle, while the Corvette has been in production every year for more than 60.
The cars have very different goals for their manufacturers.
Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I don't see the C8 being a ME design. If the price is $90k starting then that will eliminate a lot of their buyers
True.
The question becomes (and has been) does GM intend to keep the FE in the future as a companion or sister car to the ME?
We just don't know for sure what their long term plans are at this point.
Maybe I should shoot Mary Bara an email and ask...

Last edited by sunsalem; 03-22-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tadge specifically said it would add ~$5000! ;)

The mans accountable, always!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't see it.
The Ford GT is a limited production vehicle, while the Corvette has been in production every year for more than 60.
The cars have very different goals for their manufacturers.
True.
The question becomes (and has been) does GM intend to keep the FE in the future as a companion or sister car to the ME?
We just don't know for sure what their long term plans are at this point.
Maybe I should shoot Mary Bara an email and ask...
With the release of the new Cadillac destined 4.2 TT, I have to wonder if the long term plan is delete the pushrod small block all together. If this is the case, it would explain the need to make the Corvette a mid engine design, and the long and low hood design of the FE Corvette will be a thing of the past.

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019