Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 AM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Sure, they showed them "a" mid engine Corvette. This really doesn't mean anything more than they are most likely going to produce a mid engine Corvette. However, there may also be a new generation FE Corvette to follow shortly behind.

Let's not forget that GM has officially said nothing about any new Corvette to date.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
I think it is entirely possible for GM to build two different models on one line in Bowling Green - they are already doing it for other cars in other GM plants. Also Kai Spande pointed out at that Bash that the ZR1 is completely unique from the windshield forward, and it is being successfully built on the same line as base model Stingray's today without (much) drama.

I think it is also entirely possible that Corvette will split into two models in 2019, a FE Stingray, and an ME Zora. There could also very well be a FE Stingray replacement coming in 2022, depending on market uptake of the C7 and C8 in 2020 and 2021. For GM to try this is not really out of character, because, in fact, the Corvette is THE HIGHEST MARGIN vehicle it produces today, and has been for many, many years. Ever see TV commercials for it ? No, because it sells itself - as long as GM keeps it interesting and doesn't price it too high.

For sake of clarity, maybe we need to add a letter and call the ME a C8M, and the follow-on to the FE Stingray a C9F. There - fixed it for everybody !!

Cheers, Binger
The following users liked this post:
elegant (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I think it is entirely possible for GM to build two different models on one line in Bowling Green - they are already doing it for other cars in other GM plants. Also Kai Spande pointed out at that Bash that the ZR1 is completely unique from the windshield forward, and it is being successfully built on the same line as base model Stingray's today without (much) drama.

I think it is also entirely possible that Corvette will split into two models in 2019, a FE Stingray, and an ME Zora. There could also very well be a FE Stingray replacement coming in 2022, depending on market uptake of the C7 and C8 in 2020 and 2021. For GM to try this is not really out of character, because, in fact, the Corvette is THE HIGHEST MARGIN vehicle it produces today, and has been for many, many years. Ever see TV commercials for it ? No, because it sells itself - as long as GM keeps it interesting and doesn't price it too high.

For sake of clarity, maybe we need to add a letter and call the ME a C8M, and the follow-on to the FE Stingray a C9F. There - fixed it for everybody !!

Cheers, Binger
I feel like the mid engine is going to be something seperate. However, even if it is the C8, GM is not going to price it out of the current demographic. They know full well that they are not going to get the Ferrari crowd to sell off their cars and jump to the bowtie.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
I think there may a be a ME convertible on the horizon. Ferrari has the F360, F430, 458 Spyder and 488 Spyder, and all are mid-engined. You can't tell me the Italians have more engineering capability than our GM engineers.
The base price on a Ferrari 488 Spider is $26,000 more than a 488 GTB, which starts at $256,000. So what that tells me is: Ferrari's customers are willing to pay a lot more for a convertible than Corvette customers (C7 convertible is $4,000 more) are.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by NoOne
There is not a single Chevy dealer that comes even close to the service of a BMW or Audi dealer we have dealt with.

I had Marty Feldman Chevy in Novi give me back my C7 with black soot all over it, not a little, pretty much every square inch. When I complained they washed it and drove it back in soaking wet.

My guess is if there is going to be a FE and ME variant then the frame will be modular or adaptable. Maybe the same frame, maybe the same physical frame but welded differently at the supplier.

Front/Rear cradle that will take both engine and suspension setups, weld it onto the center section.

That IMO seems unlikely...It is either going to be all ME, or Cadillac ME, Corvette FE until a merged redesign.
Not a single Chevy dealer in the country or not a single Chevy dealer in your area, that you have first hand knowledge of?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:53 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

This is a funny thread....

First, it's a year old.
Second, we know a LOT more now.
Third, anyone that thought one year ago or NOW that the C8 was going to be pushing 6 figures doesn't understand GM or Corvette or the 6.5 decade OLD business model.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Shaka (05-23-2018), sunsalem (05-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine C8 Corvette to boast near six-figure price, arrive in 2019