Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec new 7speed DCT "high torque"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tremec new 7speed DCT "high torque"

I was look up info on the Tremec T56 Magnum and ran across the "dual clutch, high torque, 7 speed" info. Looks like it was built for the ZR1 / mid engine. I will try to add a link. I want to purchase one to play with. Click the PDF links near the bottom for a more info.

High-torque dual clutch transmission with performance mechatronic system provides a multi-mode, tunable launch for high-end luxury cars and sports cars.

Design, development, tooling, and testing costs can inhibit the product development of modest volume/niche segment drivetrains. However, a convergence of customer needs, economic possibilities and engineering capabilities can drive powerful solutions with a 'viral' adaptation.

In pursuit of such a convergence, TREMEC has developed a "Family Approach" to new drivetrain products characterized by high-torque applications in sports cars, SUVs and diesel vehicles that demand performance and refinement. For these markets, improvements in torque capacity, NVH, fuel efficiency and mass reduction are continually engaged to meet the “Fun-2-Drive” needs of the customer.

TREMEC has unveiled this family approach with a 7-speed, 900Nm (664 lb-ft) dual clutch transmission that takes into account a modular design for RWD, AWD and transaxle platforms.

All subsystems and components were precisely designed to assure maximum performance of the complete transmission system. The system is optimized by unique friction material, efficient hydraulics, low-leak solenoids, plus a transmission control unit equipped with sophisticated, application-specific software.

Features at a glance:
  • Seven forward speeds
  • Modular design for rear-wheel drive (RWD), all-wheel drive (AWD) and trans-axle platforms
  • Torque capacity of 900 Nm (664-lb-ft)
  • 9,000 RPM maximum input speed
  • Performance-oriented gear ratio spread
  • Integrated mechatronics
Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

This would be fantastic. I loved the DCT in my M3. Was planning on a manual in my C7 because I don't think I'd be happy with the automatic.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I think Tremec's DCT was designed quite a few years ago as it's been on their website for several years now.

Looking at Tremec's photos of their DCT, it appears to be for the current Corvette as it's clearly designed as modular transmission that can be bolted directly to the engine(as in a Camaro/Mustang) or to the current C7 designed differential where the transmission in in front of the differential.

I believe that if GM does offer a DCT, it will be of a different design, that is located behind the differential, thus is actually part of the differential. That design DCT is what is required for a mid engine Corvette/Cadillac that I believe is coming. The photos of the Camo's so called ZR1do not show a different muffler/tailpipe design, that would normally be used when the transmission is located behind the differential. Take a gander at the spy photo's of GM's mid engine car, and you will see what I'm talking about regarding the exhaust.

I doubt that GM would use two different deigned DCT's in the Corvette(one that mounts in front of the differential and another one that mounts behind the differential).

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec new 7speed DCT "high torque"

Quick Reply: Tremec new 7speed DCT "high torque"