Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the new ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 PM
bsb1946
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Questions about the new ZR-1

Not wanting to "throw water on anyone's opinions", But I just read an e-mail that I received from Corvette Forum concerning the new ZR-1. It is the e-mail that contains the video of a supposed ZR-1 convertible leaving a filling station. In that main e-mail, directly below a picture of the vehicle, the sub title is "spy video 2018 Corvette ZR-1 convertible test mule up close". In the following sentences it states that you should listen to the video asking if it sounds like a DOHC engine. As I said in my opening, not to throw water on anyone's opinion BUT cam placement only affects the way that the valves are opened. Crankshaft design (90 deg vs. 180 deg), combustion chamber shape to an extent and exhaust system design will determine how it all sounds coming out of the pipes. A definite example of exhaust system design, especially the mufflers, can be easily and heard seen with the Magnaflow Revolver Pick Up Truck

Last edited by bsb1946; 06-15-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added 1 word
Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

The video above is SEMA coverage 2012, so I'm thinking that's not what you wanted to post. I'm tempted to watch it anyway though, because I am in there somewhere!

Anyway, there is a huge amount of assumption that goes on with respect to "mules" and test cars. We see cars with various aero, wing designs, etc and many assume that it's an indicator of the exact car. Fact is, in the past, history has shown that mules don't necessarily have to be a complete package of the car ahead. It could be a Z06 simply testing aero for the upcoming car, or it could be an entire ZR1 platform with a Z06 engine/trans.

In the end, regardless of what a test car sounds like, unless it's quite obviously something of a different breed, then you can't assume anything. All we can do is wait....

You are correct though, a DOHC vs a single cam ohv engine aren't really going to be audibly different, unless there is a firing order change, or something which significantly alters the exhaust characteristics. The DOHC will have a pentroof chamber, different ignition advance, etc, but the exhaust wave will still exit a single ported opening per cylinder, etc. All things remain equal coming out of the exhaust port. We have to keep in mind the ZR1 may have engine options, with the DOHC adding a premium price tag over a standard LT4, etc. The ZR1 could simply be a track package option...who knows.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 06-16-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about the new ZR-1