Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation

Old 08-05-2017, 04:56 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

From GM Racing perspective an ME platform will give an incremental edge over the current FE platform that GM will eventually need to stay at the top of the class. The GTLM class RSR Porsches are now ME opposed to rear engine, Porsche racing doesn't do anything that data does not support. With that said I believe the C8 will continue as front engine with as close to 50/50 weight as they can achieve along with upgraded technology and active aero on the top model.

The ME /Zora ? whatever .. will be priced above the sweet spot for traditional Corvette demographic sales numbers and if the business case does not support an increase in profitability of the Corvette line there is no case to exist. A good case can be made for ME car leveraging technology to a higher degree along with higher price point manufactured alongside the C8 similar to what Ford is doing with GT...although GM ME I would expect to MSRP around $135k-$150k produced in limited numbers and certainly raced in GTLM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:38 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Unfortunately, GM will sell as many as they can, for whatever the market will pay, to as many customers as possible, so they will not be exclusive at all.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:24 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Nobody here has any idea of the goal for the next generation Corvette. It has always been an aspirational product and it lives and dies by how close projected sales match actual sales. As long as these numbers are close the product lives. When they diverge too much for an extended period of time it goes on life support, funding is cut and the product withers and dies.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
I for instance want a stripped out version close to full race w lots of noise and attitude.
I want this in a modern mid engine form

I think you would like the modifications I made to this clay mockup car. I don't know what to do with the design though. It could be mid or front engine. It might have to wait till I accumulate enough money to build it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ndering-4.html

I saw the things you are working on. Looking good.

-
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 PM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

One common theme that I have seen in these C8 wishlists is why can't GM make a corvette under 3,000lbs? The answer is "Yes they can".
Have a look at the Tesla roadster. Tesla put a 900 lbs battery and 70 lbs motor in it (far heavier than an LS7 and transmission) and it weighs in at 2750 as a street legal car. GMs 1st mid-engine car with a swapped LS7 (yes it will easily fit with no body mods) weighs in around 2800 lbs in an 88 Fiero Formula.

So why not the Corvette? The answer is marketing. Both of these cars are small hence the lower weight. The average Corvette buyer (not us performance guys here in the forum) has a certain sense of style and "class" that comes from owning a $65,000 prestigious car with a certain "presence". Bottom line trying to sell a 2800 lbs Lotus size sports car to the average American sports car buyer would be a money losing proposition for GM. Its not GM that keeps the weight of the Corvette higher. It is the average buyer.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisColoradoLV
Corvette is much more than just a profitable marketable car. And I know there are a lot of race fans on here, but the car comes first. Racing is secondary. Most people probably haven't even seen a race. I have always seen the Corvette as a beautiful sports car. Design comes first for me. The look of the car. Without that, you have nothing. You can buy aftermarket performance parts and put them on any car.

1. Design (the look of the car)

2. Quality, Performance, Comfort

Here's to Corvette Aesthetic Design Engineers

+1 Got my vote!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I want simple, small, and light ME design for about $85K. I'd really like a roof that can be opened up somehow.

I don't want AWD, DCT, Power seats, 20" wheels (CF 18" please), Hybrid, no ceramic brakes, or anything that adds weight but marginal luxury, no complicated engines that weigh more (a DI 7.5L NA would be sweet).

I still want fine materials inside, alcantara leather with heaters and what not, good technology.

Also I'd really like a stereo system that only uses small high quality speakers installed in the headrests of the seats only as it would be dramatically less weight and my music would not be obvious to everyone else when I have my roof off. The volume would not need to be nearly as loud.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 02-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation