Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:18 PM
DesertDog56
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation

Before we debate where the engine will be placed, the virtues of a hybrid or how much it will cost it occurred to me that I've never even heard what the engineers at Chevrolet have as a goal for the next generation Corvette. Is it to win at Le Mans (Ala Ford)? Is it to have the fastest lap time on the Nurburgring? Is it to be the most fun, fastest and most comfortable daily driver?

I'm curious what the design goals at Chevrolet are for the car. Once we hear that then all the other details might tend to be swayed one way or the other.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The "design goals" of the Corvette would be the same as they have been for the last 60+ years...make a profitable, marketable car.
As far as Le Mans or the Ring goes, I doubt they would factor in directly.
IMO, of course.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:19 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Corvette is much more than just a profitable marketable car. And I know there are a lot of race fans on here, but the car comes first. Racing is secondary. Most people probably haven't even seen a race. I have always seen the Corvette as a beautiful sports car. Design comes first for me. The look of the car. Without that, you have nothing. You can buy aftermarket performance parts and put them on any car.

1. Design (the look of the car)

2. Quality, Performance, Comfort

Here's to Corvette Aesthetic Design Engineers
The following 2 users liked this post by KrisColoradoLV:
conceptmachine (02-12-2018), sunsalem (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

While I certainly agree that "The Corvette is much more than just a profitable, marketable car", let's not forget that it must be that before it can be anything else. If GM cannot produce and sell enough Corvettes for the car to be profitable, it will go exactly the way the Viper went. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that GM knows this . . . they aren't going to go down the $400,000 Ford GT route. I believe that the C8 is a few years out yet, and it will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. As for the mid-engine car, whatever it is, whenever it appears, and whichever showrooms it ends up in . . . I have to believe that it while it will probably exceed the $100,000 mark, remember that some C7s have already done that. I don't think it will much over the $100K level, and I would definitely give it a look at that price point. Now, if they get stupid about it and start approaching or exceeding $200K, sayonara. Not interested.

So, what IS the goal for the next generation, as the OP asked?

Lighter. Faster. More reliable. No "glitches" such as the A8 debacle. Better, more informed dealer support. More comfortable. Styling that instantly not only says "Corvette", but fairly screams "Holy $HIT, it's the NEW Corvette!"

Too much to ask? No, I don't think so. Come on, GM. Knock our socks off.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:59 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by fyreline
So, what IS the goal for the next generation, as the OP asked?

Lighter. Faster. More reliable. No "glitches" such as the A8 debacle. Better, more informed dealer support. More comfortable. Styling that instantly not only says "Corvette", but fairly screams "Holy $HIT, it's the NEW Corvette!"

Too much to ask? No, I don't think so. Come on, GM. Knock our socks off.

I like that statement, won't try to top it. Hard to believe they can top the C7, but then we thought that about the C6 and the C5 before that and they always do come up with something that's a huge improvement.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

All I really want is a mid-engine car that has the Ford GT's lightweight and handling capability, the Bugatti Chiron's engine power (although I would settle for 850 hp: just 10 hp more than the $85k Dodge Demon) and the Ferrari 488 GTB's good but simple looks, at a starting price of $89,999. Hopefully Tadge & Co. can get that done for me.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:54 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
All I really want is a mid-engine car that has the Ford GT's lightweight and handling capability, the Bugatti Chiron's engine power (although I would settle for 850 hp: just 10 hp more than the $85k Dodge Demon) and the Ferrari 488 GTB's good but simple looks, at a starting price of $89,999. Hopefully Tadge & Co. can get that done for me.
I hope you didnt type that out with a straight face...
Old 07-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

The one and only goal for the next generation Corvette must be completing a lap around Nurburgring Nordschleife and having it on video. Prefferably beating the C6 ZR1. Failing to do so will result in a cataclysmic event so dire that it is going to make the Dinosaur Extinction event look like childs play.

Oh wait..
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I hope you didnt type that out with a straight face...
I quasi did - because if the ME C8 doesn't meet all those criteria, all those on this forum advocating for the superior ME for the same money as a current Z06/Z07 will be beyond crushed.
Personally, I am expecting much of what I am looking for (maybe only 700 hp) to become reality for $150-170k.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I really want a mid engine car that weighs less than 3k

goes like hell, sexy as hell, under 100k

twin turbo dohc v8

gm could do it and they would have more than me lining up at their door

make corvette a separate line in gm with more options

front engine with v8 and super charged or turbo v8

mid engine car with v8 and turbo v8

Better integration of the creature comforts and gizmos to reduce weight

spend the $ and buy an audi/lambo gear box and throw it in the back of the car, don't bother developing one.

make a front drive electric, ME hybrid with a really small battery (30 mi fine by me) that pulls hard off corners and still weighs in at 3200 lbs

a bit of a challenge, but it can be done.

embarass the world at half the price, it's what we do
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I really want a mid engine car that weighs less than 3k

goes like hell, sexy as hell, under 100k

twin turbo dohc v8

gm could do it and they would have more than me lining up at their door

make corvette a separate line in gm with more options

front engine with v8 and super charged or turbo v8

mid engine car with v8 and turbo v8

Better integration of the creature comforts and gizmos to reduce weight

spend the $ and buy an audi/lambo gear box and throw it in the back of the car, don't bother developing one.

make a front drive electric, ME hybrid with a really small battery (30 mi fine by me) that pulls hard off corners and still weighs in at 3200 lbs

a bit of a challenge, but it can be done.

embarass the world at half the price, it's what we do
Makes me wonder why, with all their real engineers, Acura 's NSX has a lightweight V6 with a hybrid electric front wheel drive, weighs 3800 pounds and retails for $159,000.

It's clear that Acura needs to hire the internet engineers off this forum to redesign the NSX at the same time those internet engineers are designing the GM mid engine car with a heavier V8, heavier hybrid electric drive with a battery, that only weighs 3200 pounds and retails for less than $100,000.

Only thing that I want in a mid engine, and also a front engine Corvette, is a DCT that GM buys from someone who knows how to design and build transmissions, and not design and build a DCT in house.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

The Acura NSX is AWD:
http://nsx.acura.com/explore/power-unit
Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
So !!!!!!

I responded to the person who posted..... "make a front drive electric, ME hybrid with a really small battery (30 mi fine by me) that pulls hard off corners and still weighs in at 3200 lbs"

I responded with specs of the NSX as it has a front wheel drive supplied by two electric motors, batteries, and weighs 3800 pounds, not 3200 pounds.

As I understand the posting made by another poster, the quote I posted of his describes the NSX, except for the weight.

I would like to know which unicorn farts and fairy dust is going to be eliminated to get a mid engine Corvette to weigh 600 pounds less than a NSX. Hell, they can't even get the existing 3524 pound C7 Z06 down to 3200 pounds, which is still heavier than the C6 Z06.

The 2017 Ford GT is not a hybrid, thus no heavy electric motors and batteries and a front wheel drive, but weighs approximately 3200 pounds wet. Does anyone really think that Ford could add a hybrid drive to the front wheels of the GT and still keep the weight at 3200 pounds?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The 2017 Ford GT is not a hybrid, thus no heavy electric motors and batteries and a front wheel drive, but weighs approximately 3200 pounds wet. Does anyone really think that Ford could add a hybrid drive to the front wheels of the GT and still keep the weight at 3200 pounds?
I am sure they could have, but not at the $450,000 price point. The Porsche 918 RSR prototype with KERS and a small battery providing energy to the two front electric motors, and a striped interior for race work is 3,185 lbs.
If you are willing to put enough dollars in, lightweight can be achieved using lightweight materials and fancy engineering. After all, isn't a Formula 1 car about 1,100 lbs with 900 hp and KERS hybrid drive.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I am sure they could have, but not at the $450,000 price point. The Porsche 918 RSR prototype with KERS and a small battery providing energy to the two front electric motors, and a striped interior for race work is 3,185 lbs.
If you are willing to put enough dollars in, lightweight can be achieved using lightweight materials and fancy engineering. After all, isn't a Formula 1 car about 1,100 lbs with 900 hp and KERS hybrid drive.
The 250 a year for 4 years Ford GT is built with every weight adding item required to meet federal regulations. It if didn't, it would not have a VIN and it would not be licensable for the street.

The upcoming GM Corvette/Cadillac mid engine car will also be a car with a VIN and licensable for the street, just as the Ford GT and the NSX is, and not a race car with a stripped interior, etc.

The COPO Camaro is a prime example of a low weight stripped car that does not have a VIN and is not licensable for street use. You won't find a Camaro with a VIN that weighs as little as the COPO version weighs.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-19-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So !!!!!!

I responded to the person who posted..... "make a front drive electric, ME hybrid with a really small battery (30 mi fine by me) that pulls hard off corners and still weighs in at 3200 lbs"

I responded with specs of the NSX as it has a front wheel drive supplied by two electric motors, batteries, and weighs 3800 pounds, not 3200 pounds.

As I understand the posting made by another poster, the quote I posted of his describes the NSX, except for the weight.

I would like to know which unicorn farts and fairy dust is going to be eliminated to get a mid engine Corvette to weigh 600 pounds less than a NSX. Hell, they can't even get the existing 3524 pound C7 Z06 down to 3200 pounds, which is still heavier than the C6 Z06.
My apologies for your increased blood pressure.
In addition to that new eyeglass prescription, you might ask for a prescription of Xanax.

Lighten up Big Guy...we're just on the internet here.

If you are willing to put enough dollars in, lightweight can be achieved using lightweight materials and fancy engineering.

After all, isn't a Formula 1 car about 1,100 lbs with 900 hp and KERS hybrid drive.
The latest formula of the last several years is more advanced than a KERS system and a helluva lot more complicated:
https://jalopnik.com/how-formula-one...rks-1506450399
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I quasi did - because if the ME C8 doesn't meet all those criteria, all those on this forum advocating for the superior ME for the same money as a current Z06/Z07 will be beyond crushed.
Personally, I am expecting much of what I am looking for (maybe only 700 hp) to become reality for $150-170k.
Considering your wishes are outside of the realm of reality, I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you. I've always set my expectations at a realistic level. I have rarely ever been disappointed in life. Just because you think something is possible, from an economics standpoint, does not mean it is. Considering how much a fully optioned C7 Z07 costs, factor that into your expectations.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation

Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

The goal is to make it appeal to the next generation of buyers. Mystery solved.
The following users liked this post:
Virtual Geezer (09-20-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

For me the single goal of the next gen 'Vette should be to eliminate the c7's hideous tail lights and black colored body moldings.
conceptmachine (02-12-2018)
Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

There are 1000s of us who all want so,egging different in a Corvette.
I for instance want a stripped out version close to full race w lots of noise and attitude.
I could care less about carrying golf clubs or groceries.

I want this in a modern mid engine form
Attached Images    
conceptmachine (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Lets All Take a Deep Breath and First Define What the Goal is for the Next Generation