Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C8 General Discussion
The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it make take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #41
JustinStrife
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive_Sell_Win View Post
Don't like efficiency?
He might be okay with it for a daily driver to work, but many of us have sports cars and hotrods for many different reasons that electric and hybrid cars couldn't give us.
JustinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Mjolitor 68
CF Senior Member

Sadly it seems everybody is getting on the hybrid or full electric band wagon.

Audi, Porsche, Jaguar all left LeMans to race in Formula E

In 20 years it may not even be possible to buy a car w an internal combustion engine

Those will be sad days, at least I'll probably be too old to care by then
Mjolitor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

We have no choice...we have to stop polluting our place of birth or go the way of the dinos.

We humans can no longer **** in our own nest and just move on to the next valley.
There is only so much living space and only one planet.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #44
Mjolitor 68
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
We have no choice...we have to stop polluting our place of birth or go the way of the dinos.

We humans can no longer **** in our own nest and just move on to the next valley.
There is only so much living space and only one planet.
Hybrids don't stop pollution. Modern car exhaust is cleaner than the air in most cities. Hybrids only relocate this minimal pollution from the tail pipe to the smoke stack of whatever powers that city such as coal, hydro, gepothermal, nuke etc.

Hybrids may actually caus more pollution than ICE cars cus of the toxic batteries & disposal.
Mjolitor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #45
msm859
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68 View Post
Hybrids don't stop pollution. Modern car exhaust is cleaner than the air in most cities. Hybrids only relocate this minimal pollution from the tail pipe to the smoke stack of whatever powers that city such as coal, hydro, gepothermal, nuke etc.

Hybrids may actually caus more pollution than ICE cars cus of the toxic batteries & disposal.
So you would start your car in your garage with the doors closed and feel safe with your clean air exhaust? With an electric car the answer would be yes. My house is powered by solar panels - no smoke stacks. By 2025 no electricity in California will come from coal. You are correct that it matters how the electricity is being produced, but that also makes the opportunity for an electric car to become cleaner with time.

Last edited by msm859; 08-10-2017 at 02:18 AM.
msm859 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msm859 For This Useful Post:
phantasms (08-12-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #46
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm859 View Post
So you would start your car in your garage with the doors closed and feel safe with your clean air exhaust? With an electric car the answer would be yes. My house is powered by solar panels - no smoke stacks. By 2025 no electricity in California will come from coal. You are correct that it matters how the electricity is being produced, but that also makes the opportunity for an electric car to become cleaner with time.
I also could pack my garage with 150 humans, seal it up tight, and they would also die from "bad" air. Don't need a "horrible" ICE to pollute the air.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #47
phantasms
Fuseblock.com
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Brewster NewYork Vehicle: 2015 C7 Z06 Z07 VIN: 1G1YT2X67F5600027 Favorite Dinosaur: Saltopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I also could pack my garage with 150 humans, seal it up tight, and they would also die from "bad" air. Don't need a "horrible" ICE to pollute the air.
No Joe. They would die from lack of Oxygen. Plants would consider it especially good air. The exhaust of ICE vehicles is bad for everything. I do not understand your fervent hating of Tesla. You can fight the future all you want but I'm sorry to say a better, faster, cleaner, healthier future is coming despite all the nonsensical anti-electric comments. My mother-in-law is getting a P100D and she will have the quickest car in the family and for those who know my family that's saying a lot. I have 45k miles on my Z06 and I certainly haven't gone past the top speed of a Tesla many times. And yes there are fast Teslas all around where I live, in NY, which is in fact the center of the universe.

Best,
Gene

To the OPs question, if GM ever wants me to buy another Corvette they better make it at least a hybrid if not full electric. I don't buy Laserdiscs anymore.
phantasms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 AM   #48
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

If you're looking for a Corvette Hybrid, I suggest you watch what Cadillac does...
The Following User Says Thank You to sunsalem For This Useful Post:
phantasms (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #49
phantasms
Fuseblock.com
Support Corvetteforum!
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Brewster NewYork Vehicle: 2015 C7 Z06 Z07 VIN: 1G1YT2X67F5600027 Favorite Dinosaur: Saltopus

Quote:
If you're looking for a Corvette Hybrid, I suggest you watch what Cadillac does...
I've been told of what's coming. I'll wait till it's a Corvette unless Caddy somehow manages to make a car without any chrome or bling or horrible infotainment system buttons. If I have to procharge my Z or drive an electric Mini while waiting I'm happy to.

All the best,
Gene
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #50
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Don't underestimate the Cadillac brand...they make fine vehicles IMO.
I have had 3 in the last 15 years: Escalade, XLR, CTS-V Coupe.
Loved 'em all.
Honestly, I wish I still had the last 2.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #51
phantasms
Fuseblock.com
Support Corvetteforum!
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Quote:
Don't underestimate the Cadillac brand...they make fine vehicles IMO.
I have had 3 in the last 15 years: Escalade, XLR, CTS-V Coupe.
Loved 'em all.
Honestly, I wish I still had the last 2.
I've driven several and enjoy them. That said I simply can't drive something that makes me look like a Soprano. It's probably due to where I'm from. I was going to get a new Escalade but just couldn't get into the look and style. Ended up going LTZ Tahoe with the smaller engine. You can imagine how badly I wanted the bigger engine. I simply won't drive a car that I don't think is very good looking. CTSV Wagon 6speed is the last Caddy I would own. I do love the new ATS...it drives great and is a ton of fun..:but again the looks thing.

Best,
Gene
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #52
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Well, different strokes for different folks and all.
I think modern Cadillac styling is very distinctive (a good thing when distinguishing between brands) and appealing.
Again, different strokes...
The Following User Says Thank You to sunsalem For This Useful Post:
phantasms (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #53
Drive_Sell_Win
CF Member

Not that I'm stressing, because I don't plan on waiting for an electric, but how does this factor in?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6816786.html

"Ecars can contain circuits running at more than three times the 230 volts found in the mains supply, posing a real risk of electrocution and fire unless properly handled."

If I just bought a relatively expensive jack system and then found out working under the car is pointless because i MIGHT get deadly shocked, I'd be... I'd be so mad...

Fancy said system: https://www.quickjack.com/

Cruddy wheel changey guys I'm stuck with?
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ck-stands.html

Last edited by Drive_Sell_Win; 08-14-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Drive_Sell_Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 AM   #54
theboom
CF Senior Member

IMO my biggest thing about the hybrid/electric is that there is currently no way to modify them and I much enjoy modifying my cars. I know the aftermarket will eventually catch up offering upgrades to batteries, motors, inverters, control units, gearboxes, cooling, etc.... in addition to all of the current non ICE related car mods. I just don't want any electrified cars until the mods become available, which is going to be awhile. If I have to have a hybrid I want it to be a parallel power boosting mild hybrid like the laferrari and p1. A small light weight system that adds 100-150hp. That's another thing, I really don't want the weight penalty that comes with electric. I know the p1 is pretty light but that has carbon everything to achieve that and there is no way any car under $200k is going to have that much carbon anytime soon so a hybrid corvette is going to be like 37-3800lbs. That's too heavy for me.

What a parallel mild hybrid would allow me to do is upgrade the ICE like I do now and leave the electric system alone as just a permanent boost to what every I can get out of the ICE as long as manufactures make it so a boost in ICE power doesn't throw off the electric motor. I also want them to keep the v8 if they go hybrid, like the p1, 918 and laferrari (v12) have, in order to maintain the modability. None of this v6 with electric crap.

But over all I want electrification to stay out of the corvette as long as possible but I do recognize that it will eventually happen.
theboom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theboom For This Useful Post:
Drive_Sell_Win (08-15-2017)
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?
  •