Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:20 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
All these hybrids and pure electric cars are the result of Government pressure. Auto manufacturers are highly regulated and you don't want to get onto the wrong side of the Government. GM was also bailed by the Government and if the Government says build an electric car that will lose $8 billion, you do it.

And by Government I'm including Europe's, also. They are totally on board with green technology even at the expense of consumers and taxpayers.
This ^^^.

Indeed 14 nations (incl China and India) recently committed to being all-electric within reasonably short time frames. Since China has by far the largest supply of rare earth metals for batts, you can rest assured they are one nation solidly behind the move toward elec and hybrid cars--they will sell you the battery bits. The Chinese probably offered trade deals to the Euros in exchange for their recent commitment to go all electric. Plus, China is already the largest elec car market in the world and have an elec car maker that is getting heavy govt backing. Elec cars are where China wants the world to go.

A hybrid Corvette? Indeed. I suspect the mid-engine Vette is arising from the need to have a hybrid. The mid-engine layout makes a mid-mounted gas engine, front-mounted elect motor, 4WD Corvette a high probability in our future. Will it weigh more? Well, it might but it will be a good performer.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

FWIW we are the only industrialized country on the planet with a major political party that does not believe, or admit to believing, in man made climate change. We will soon be the only country, other than Syria [because they have other issues], that will not be part of the Paris Climate accord. The good news is that because cleaner energy is becoming economically beneficial we will still likely meet the requirements whether or not we are a part of it. I certainly am not 100% a Dem and after driving across most of the country last month I can see the devastation of increasing income inequality and how Trump would appeal to some people. But the sooner we get on board with clean energy the better for both the plant and our economy. We will have solar panels all over this great country. But if we don't smarten up about things they'll all say Made in China instead of Made in America. And FWIW Teslas do not have rare earth minerals in their motors or batteries. And they're made in America. And the CEO is more of a cowboy than John Wayne. And he is literally trying to save humanity....but people continue to **** on him and his company while pretending to be econ majors while the real econ majors continue to make bank. While 97% of scientists, and 100% of real scientists, believe in man made climate change, I know that in these parts those numbers are reversed and I am vastly out numbered. And yet, because I want my son's world have a chance, I sit here peacefully and try to talk and understand while others scream and insult.

One love my Corvette brothers.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Regardless of the reality, you shouldn't have posted that.
This is, by and large, a knuckle-dragging forum...and you just invited them to the thread.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
My house is powered by solar panels - no smoke stacks.
So that means you have batteries to power your house when solar radiation is low or zero, right?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
FWIW we are the only industrialized country on the planet with a major political party that does not believe, or admit to believing, in man made climate change. We will soon be the only country, other than Syria [because they have other issues], that will not be part of the Paris Climate accord. The good news is that because cleaner energy is becoming economically beneficial we will still likely meet the requirements whether or not we are a part of it. I certainly am not 100% a Dem and after driving across most of the country last month I can see the devastation of increasing income inequality and how Trump would appeal to some people. But the sooner we get on board with clean energy the better for both the plant and our economy. We will have solar panels all over this great country. But if we don't smarten up about things they'll all say Made in China instead of Made in America. And FWIW Teslas do not have rare earth minerals in their motors or batteries. And they're made in America. And the CEO is more of a cowboy than John Wayne. And he is literally trying to save humanity....but people continue to **** on him and his company while pretending to be econ majors while the real econ majors continue to make bank. While 97% of scientists, and 100% of real scientists, believe in man made climate change, I know that in these parts those numbers are reversed and I am vastly out numbered. And yet, because I want my son's world have a chance, I sit here peacefully and try to talk and understand while others scream and insult.

Best,
Gene
So many things wrong with this post, it's hard to know where to begin.

Time to let go of the hate and anger.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Best,
Gene
Originally Posted by sunsalem
Regardless of the reality, you shouldn't have posted that.
This is, by and large, a knuckle-dragging forum...and you just invited them to the thread.
Proudly a knuckle dragger if that means asking legitimate questions about stupid assertions like "the science is settled" makes me a denier.

Please keep your politics on political forums. Comments like these in inappropriate places says more negative things about you than the people you are trying to insult.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Best,
Gene
Ya may want to cut back on the koolaid dude.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Best,
Gene
I would suggest you look up two of the world's foremost climate scientists, Richard Lindzen and John Christy, and read not what is written about them, but what they have written based upon their research, about this issue. You might find it interesting.

Thanks.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-22-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Nordic_Samurai
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Without stepping in the political back and forth, I would only be interested in a hybrid if it is supplementing a V8. Electric performance aside, the sound of a vehicle is part of the driving experience. There is nothing better than when I gun my C7, and hear that engine and exhaust roar.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nordic_Samurai
only be interested in a hybrid if it is supplementing a V8.
No doubt that would be the case.
All other high performance hybrids have taken the route of using electric motors to supplement an ICE.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I would suggest you look up two of the world's foremost climate scientists, Richard Lindzen and John Christy, and read not what is written about them, but what they have written based upon their research, about this issue. You might find it interesting.

Thanks.
This is a forum about Corvettes and specifically the c8
Corvette. It is not intended to be a stage for people like you to go on rants and political diatribes about climate change. If the moderators of this forum don't have the ***** and fortitude to take you and others like you off this forum then perhaps there are enough people like me to chase you off and convince you that you are unwelcome. Go elsewhere!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
carsismeZ06
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette would be foolish not to follow suit and add a hybrid powertrain to the Corvette, assuming they want to compete with Honda, McLaren, Porsche, etc.

The benefits are insurmountable. Torque-fill from electric motors combined with turbocharging is the current route to ultimate acceleration. Using electric-powered torque steer and rear-wheel steer are the current routes to ultimate road-holding.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 AM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I would be shocked if the upcoming C8 is not a hybrid. There have been many hints being dropped by GM that this may be the case.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by carsismeZ06
Corvette would be foolish not to follow suit and add a hybrid powertrain to the Corvette, assuming they want to compete with Honda, McLaren, Porsche, etc.

The benefits are insurmountable. Torque-fill from electric motors combined with turbocharging is the current route to ultimate acceleration. Using electric-powered torque steer and rear-wheel steer are the current routes to ultimate road-holding.
Not necessarily... look at the difference between the P1 and the 720S. The 720S using only a traditional ICE is nearly as quick as the P1 in a straight line without the torque-fill from the electric motors, and that's because the car is extremely light. If Chevrolet can hybridize the Corvette with lightweight batteries/motors I think they have a home run. That being said, I would expect to see a heavy, hybrid/electric luxury Cadillac model before we see a hybrid Corvette but I don't actually know anything
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Not necessarily... look at the difference between the P1 and the 720S. The 720S using only a traditional ICE is nearly as quick as the P1 in a straight line without the torque-fill from the electric motors, and that's because the car is extremely light. If Chevrolet can hybridize the Corvette with lightweight batteries/motors I think they have a home run. That being said, I would expect to see a heavy, hybrid/electric luxury Cadillac model before we see a hybrid Corvette but I don't actually know anything
That is not a fair comparison. The P1 was the first of its kind for McLaren. The P1 was launched in 2013. The 720s was launched in 2017. Also, the P1 weighs 3,411 lbs. while the 720s weighs 2,929 lbs.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

2900 lbs.?
WOW, a light car indeed!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As per two articles from Cadillac in the last three days, they will be GM’s electrical and autonomous brand leader. There might be an all electric ME Cadillac in several years.

There will not be an electric ME Corvette.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01/...-brands-later/

Cadillac is busying trotting out many SUV’s over the next three years, and no ME in its plans at least during that time table — and maybe even for an additional year or two thereafter if ever.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...hes/109523758/

Get notified of new replies

To Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
That is not a fair comparison. The P1 was the first of its kind for McLaren. The P1 was launched in 2013. The 720s was launched in 2017. Also, the P1 weighs 3,411 lbs. while the 720s weighs 2,929 lbs.
The 720S weighs 2,828 lbs dry while the P1 weighs 3,075 lbs. dry (3,411 lbs is the curb weight, with all fluids and usually a half-full gas tank). The 720S also costs around $285,000, the P1 $1,150,000
Old 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
This is a forum about Corvettes and specifically the c8
Corvette. It is not intended to be a stage for people like you to go on rants and political diatribes about climate change. If the moderators of this forum don't have the ***** and fortitude to take you and others like you off this forum then perhaps there are enough people like me to chase you off and convince you that you are unwelcome. Go elsewhere!!!
His was a calm and measured post. Perhaps you somehow missed the actual rants that preceeded it?

Of course the guy who hits back in most sports does seem to get the penalty...

Oh, and to the point. The leaked CAD images say no hybrid (yet)...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-18-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
As per two articles from Cadillac in the last three days, they will be GM’s electrical and autonomous brand leader. There might be an all electric ME Cadillac in several years.

There will not be an electric ME Corvette.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01/...-brands-later/

Cadillac is busying trotting out many SUV’s over the next three years, and no ME in its plans at least during that time table — and maybe even for an additional year or two thereafter if ever.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...hes/109523758/
This makes sense. You need to be able to charge premium prices for these cars to stand a chance at making money.

Quick Reply: Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?