Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive_Sell_Win
Camry is always voted most American car. Most parts made/assembled in USA.

Fact check: JEEP beat out Toyota now. Point still stands...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...rs-com-claims/
IMO, not the best measurement of "Most American Car". The Kogod School of Business (professor Frank DuBois) publishes their Auto Index which uses seven factors:

Profit Margin - This was measured based on the location of an automaker’s headquarters. If an automaker’s global headquarters is located in the US, the model receives a 6. If it is not, it receives a 0. The assumption here is that (on average), 6% of a vehicle’s value is profit margin, so if it is a U.S. automaker, the profits remain in the country.

Labor - This category considers where the car is assembled. If a model is assembled in the US, it receives a 6. If not, the model receives a 0. We assume that approximately 6% of the vehicle’s value is labor content.

Research and Development (R&D) - This category looks at the location of a car’s R&D activities. If the model is a product of a US company, it receives a 6. If it is the product of a foreign company but is assembled in the U.S. it receives a 3; if it is a foreign import it receives a 1.
Inventory, Capital and other expenses - If assembly occurs in the US, the model receives an 11; if not, it receives a 0.

Engine - If the engine is produced in the US, the model receives a 14; if not it receives a 0.

Transmission - If the transmission is produced in the US, the model receives a 7; if not it receives a 0.

Body, Chassis, and Electrical Components - 50 % of a vehicle’s score is assigned to this category. The AALA percentage is divided into two to derive this score.
None of the other rankings take into account where the profits go or where the R&D is performed.

"This index is an alternative ranking system that provides consumers with the most accurate reflection of the true country of origin of a car and the impact of its purchase on the U.S. economy, and helps consumers make sense of automakers' marketing claims," said DuBois.
Kogod's 2017 ranking:

The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, Ford F-150 and Chevy Corvette rank as the top most American-made car models, according to the 2017 Kogod Made in America Auto Index. The Enclave, Acadia and Traverse tied for first, with the Ford F-150 and Corvette ranked second and third, respectively.

Other cars in this year's top-10 include several models of Fiat-Chrysler's Wrangler (4th and 5th), Ford's Expedition (5th also), and Navigator and Taurus at 6th. Cadillac placed two cars at 7th along with the Four Wheel drive Chevy Colorado pickup. Jeep's Cherokee is at 8th position and 3 Hondas (the CRV, Pilot and Ridgeline) and the Toyota Camry tied for 9th. Ford's Explorer and the Chevy Malibu Hybrid round out the top 10 for 2017.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (01-18-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

HELL NO!!!!!!!

Since when does Corvette copy Mustang ?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Damn right!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
HELL NO!!!!!!!

Since when does Corvette copy Mustang ?
Maybe they are trying to copy Ferrari. LaFerrari is a hybrid. Would be okay with me if they copied it.
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/make.../gallery/?im=1
Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

It's the future, for sure. I don't ever want to see an all electric corvette, but if they can boost performance by making it hybrid then why not.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Maybe they are trying to copy Ferrari. LaFerrari is a hybrid. Would be okay with me if they copied it.
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/make.../gallery/?im=1
LaFerrari styling is good despite stupidest name in automotive history.

LaF is a lemon cus the hybrid design was built to be driven very often but owners don’t drive them very often causing the batteries not to charge well. Maybe 918 better.

Lambo, Pagani & Bugatti are not hybrid.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Being the skeptic of all things political, it's shocking how difficult it is to find objective analysis of these emerging technologies. Man are we being propagandized! Hope it's getting through that google, facebook and other sources are manipulating data and search results.

I was just reading some crap trying to make the point that EV batteries in any practical sense never go bad or wear out, nothing to see here so don't worry about disposal, recycling and replacement costs. On the whole it's reported to be all upside for clearly political reasons.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:12 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Sadly it seems everybody is getting on the hybrid or full electric band wagon.

Audi, Porsche, Jaguar all left LeMans to race in Formula E

In 20 years it may not even be possible to buy a car w an internal combustion engine

Those will be sad days, at least I'll probably be too old to care by then
Here in the UK, sales of internal combustion engines will be banned from 2032. Other euro countries are doing this also and definitely before 2040. On top of this there will be restrictions on the use of current IC motors (how this affects the commercial guys, I've no idea).
This means that if you buy an IC motor vehicle in the near future, it will be restricted in its use and possibly penalised for (possibly scrapped recycled after 10 years life) what it is, and as such it will become worthless.
What we do have this year in May, is the new 'Historic Vehicle' category. This means that a vehicle over 40 years old is exempt from an annual test and licencing, so if the above restrictions kick in for real, vehicles with a Historic ticket will increase in value hugely..
Car manufacturers in the US need to get on with good electric vehicle production if they wish to sell outside the US in any number including the Corvette.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM
car junkie
Drifting

ah yes, the good old days of feudalism making a come back in Europe one regulation at a time.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
Here in the UK, sales of internal combustion engines will be banned from 2032. Other euro countries are doing this also and definitely before 2040. On top of this there will be restrictions on the use of current IC motors (how this affects the commercial guys, I've no idea).
This means that if you buy an IC motor vehicle in the near future, it will be restricted in its use and possibly penalised for (possibly scrapped recycled after 10 years life) what it is, and as such it will become worthless.
What we do have this year in May, is the new 'Historic Vehicle' category. This means that a vehicle over 40 years old is exempt from an annual test and licencing, so if the above restrictions kick in for real, vehicles with a Historic ticket will increase in value hugely..
Car manufacturers in the US need to get on with good electric vehicle production if they wish to sell outside the US in any number including the Corvette.
Most of these bans are not what people think. Here are details on the French version. Since all cars will be hybrids by then this is nothing but a feel good statement.

"
France: The government says that it wants to end sales of gas and diesel-powered vehicles by 2040 as it fights global warming.

After that date, automakers will only be allowed to sell cars that run on electricity or other cleaner power. Hybrid cars will also be permitted.
Nicolas Hulot, the government official in charge of France's "ecological transition," said the goal would help the nation's automakers "innovate and become market leaders."
The share of cars powered by electric, hybrid and alternative fuels in France is small -- about 4% -- but growing fast. Sales of those vehicles were up 25% in the first quarter of 2017.
"

Last edited by NY09C6; 01-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Sales of electrical vehicles in the U.S., compared to total vehicles sales, were 1% last year.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

"Hybrid cars will also be permitted."

Consumers and manufacturers are remarkably clever. Sounds like you could drive a truck through this loophole -- which will only be necessary if somehow non-IC powerplants and their required infrastructure have not obliterated IC by 2040!

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-22-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 AM
exitwound
Instructor

What we do have in the UK is a growing electrification of classic vehicles.

Mostly private companies, but now Jaguar themselves are buying old E-Types and converting them. Its no coincidence that Jaguar are owned by TATA and India itself is banning sales of new IC vehicles from 2025.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-goes-electric

The guys in the UK with barn stored MG/TR/AH's will suddenly find them worth a great deal if we get a choice of a Prius or an electrified classic..
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 AM
car junkie
Drifting

What we do have in the UK is a growing electrification of classic vehicles.

Mostly private companies, but now Jaguar themselves are buying old E-Types and converting them. Its no coincidence that Jaguar are owned by TATA and India itself is banning sales of new IC vehicles from 2025.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-goes-electric

The guys in the UK with barn stored MG/TR/AH's will suddenly find them worth a great deal if we get a choice of a Prius or an electrified classic..

On the bright side, maybe they will start making some reproduction parts that actually fit on those rust buckets.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Originally Posted by car junkie
On the bright side, maybe they will start making some reproduction parts that actually fit on those rust buckets.
That's already happening. You can buy repro panels, chassis legs etc for a great deal of classic vehicles particularly the sports car types in the UK these days.

https://rimmerbros.com/ItemList--Tri...tings--m-13145

The electrification starts here (for the UK anyway, we have to make the best of our nanny state)..

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

http://www.electricvanandcar.co.uk/home.html#content

Last edited by exitwound; 01-23-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,325 Likes on 769 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Enough with the Mustang talk already!!!!! Who here really cares and if you care that much why are you here? Mustangs have just never counted in my book. A nice sporty car if you like them, I bought my daughter one years ago but they're insignificant to me.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:48 PM
car junkie
Drifting

That's already happening. You can buy repro panels, chassis legs etc for a great deal of classic vehicles particularly the sports car types in the UK these days.

Yeah I know and it's about 50% junk. Restoring my E type was a hair pulling experience.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Enough with the Mustang talk already!!!!! Who here really cares and if you care that much why are you here? Mustangs have just never counted in my book. A nice sporty car if you like them, I bought my daughter one years ago but they're insignificant to me.
Well if the c8 turns out to be a 150k super car that many hear seem to want, I personally will bail on the Corvette brand and one of the limited edition Mustang models will likely be my landing. If the base c8 stays within 5-10k of the base c7 I'll stick around.

Quick Reply: Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?