Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

A hybrid doesn't necessarily have to be AWD (see McLaren P1 and LaFerrari).
Also, as far as weight goes:
LaFerrari = 3,495 lbs.
McLaren P1 = 3,411
Porsche 918 = 3,600-3,760
NSX = 3,803
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
A hybrid doesn't necessarily have to be AWD (see McLaren P1 and LaFerrari).
Also, as far as weight goes:
LaFerrari = 3,495 lbs.
McLaren P1 = 3,411
Porsche 918 = 3,600-3,760
NSX = 3,803
your right, it doesn't have to be AWD but I think it would makes sense to differentiate it from the other models (I'm assuming 2-3 ME models). Those cars are lighter then I thought and don't they all make north of 150 hp and torque on batteries.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

I did a 690 mile trip last week. Didn't see a single Tesla P100D Ludicrous(or a slow 75 or 85 Tesla for that matter). I did see one C5 and one C7 and one BMW Z4, and one Miata. That's real world driving, not reading about cars in a magazine in front of your computer.
Not sure where you drive? Come to California - you will see them on every street corner. Maybe not exactly but they are fairly common. You should also drive one - might help your understanding of the allure. However, the original question was adding hybrid technology, again not sure why anyone would be against it.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (08-12-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:18 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I would NEVER choose a Japanese car over an American.
I would. There are a lot of American cars I wouldnt even look at. And there's still some Japanese cars that fit certain segments of the market.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Not sure where you drive? Come to California - you will see them on every street corner. Maybe not exactly but they are fairly common. You should also drive one - might help your understanding of the allure. However, the original question was adding hybrid technology, again not sure why anyone would be against it.
I live in Missouri, not in California. It may come as a surprise to you, but California is not the center of the universe. There are more people living outside of California than living inside California. I can take very long road trips and never drive within California's borders, and I won't see a single Tesla on those road trips in the other lower 47 states.

Outside of a few high density areas(millions of people squeezed into a two block area), no one gives a **** about the Tesla. You don't see them cruising down the Interstates, as they are concentrated in "up scale" shopping center parking lots, a couple of miles from their home/garage. LOL.

By the way, the last time I was in California in 2014, in my Z06, I didn't see a single Tesla, but I did see a Ferrari driving around in downtown San Francisco. But then, I do see a Ferrari and even a Lamborghini sometimes here in Springfield, Missouri. Come to think about it, I didn't see a single Corvette in California either, outside of the one's I was traveling with. Mostly I saw mundane cars and pickups like I see everyday in Springfield, Missouri.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-20-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I would. There are a lot of American cars I wouldnt even look at.
Same here.
And there's still some Japanese cars that fit certain segments of the market.
There is an American equivalent for every Japanese car.
Also, I like the idea of keeping Americans working and PROFITS staying here...not going to Japan.

I live in Missouri, not in California. It may come as a surprise to you, but California is not the center of the universe. There are more people living outside of California than living inside California. I can take very long road trips and never drive within California's borders, and I won't see a single Tesla on those road trips in the other lower 47 states.

Outside of a few high density areas(millions of people squeezed into a two block area), no one gives a **** about the Tesla. You don't see them cruising down the Interstates, as they are concentrated in "up scale" shopping center parking lots, a couple of miles from their home/garage. LOL.
Wow, now you're just pulling stuff out of your rearend.

Why this irrationalism regarding Tesla?
What are you afraid of?
It's just a car.
You are taking this as a personal attack, and that's not healthy.
Pop a couple of Xanax, take a nap and get back to us when you feel better.

By the way, the last time I was in California in 2014, in my Z06, I didn't see a single Tesla, but I did see a Ferrari driving around in downtown San Francisco. But then, I do see a Ferrari and even a Lamborghini sometimes here in Springfield, Missouri. Come to think about it, I didn't see a single Corvette in California either, outside of the one's I was traveling with. Mostly I saw mundane cars and pickups like I see everyday in Springfield, Missouri.
Having lived in Springfield, I know (and so do you) it is NOT the center of the Automobile World...far from it.
Springfield is just another Midwestern dot on the map, with a Midwestern economy and culture.
No one is going to mistake it for being a national trendsetter.

BTW, your experiences may not be the same as other folks'.
The following 3 users liked this post by sunsalem:
ladder13 (01-19-2018), ls2alex (01-21-2018), phantasms (08-12-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Ouch! Did I hit a sensitive nerve or do you just hate Tesla and California? I realize California is not the center of the universe - although it is either the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world, with the most people and cars of any other state - and in many ways it is in fact "one" of the centers of the universe when it comes to cars. As to what you saw in San Francisco I find surprising. I go there several times a year - lots of BMW's, Mercedes,Lexus and yes, Tesla's. I do agree though not too many Corvettes. As to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti, NSX and Aston Martin those are all just in my neighborhood - I am the lone Corvette
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Same here.
Also, I like the idea of keeping Americans working and PROFITS staying here...not going to Japan.

I never blindly followed any company or product. Make something I like, and that I want, and I will purchase it, no matter where it came from.

My Grandfather served as a Navy Fighter Pilot in World War 2 and was credited with several Zero kills before being shot down. He spent several months evading the Japanese before getting back to our side. When he died, he had a Datsun Pickup, and a BMW coupe in his garage. If a Veteran who was a part of our Greatest Generation could own products from companies of nations who use to be our enemies, I can too. I currently own Chevy, Ford, and Mazda. Use to own Nissan and Honda as well, and am looking at picking up a 3rd gen RX7 like I use to own.

Unfortunately America does not have an equivalent for every Japanese or European car made in the last 30 or 40 years. Nothing comparable to the Z cars, no RX7's, no NSX's, No GT-R's, no Evo's, no Subaru's(until the new Focus RS finally), etc.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Same here.

Wow, now you're just pulling stuff out of your rearend.

Why this irrationalism regarding Tesla?
What are you afraid of?
It's just a car.
You are taking this as a personal attack, and that's not healthy.
Pop a couple of Xanax, take a nap and get back to us when you feel better.

Having lived in Springfield, I know (and so do you) it is NOT the center of the Automobile World...far from it.
Springfield is just another Midwestern dot on the map, with a Midwestern economy and culture.
No one is going to mistake it for being a national trendsetter.

BTW, your experiences may not be the same as other folks'.
I live in the Chicago suburbs(oakbrook) , and there are Teslas everywhere, In this area even all the soccer moms have the Tessa SUV .

Last edited by NytmereZ; 07-21-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

My Grandfather served as a Navy Fighter Pilot in World War 2 and was credited with several Zero kills before being shot down. He spent several months evading the Japanese before getting back to our side. When he died, he had a Datsun Pickup, and a BMW coupe in his garage. If a Veteran who was a part of our Greatest Generation could own products from companies of nations who use to be our enemies, I can too. I currently own Chevy, Ford, and Mazda. Use to own Nissan and Honda as well, and am looking at picking up a 3rd gen RX7 like I use to own.
I wasn't considering WWII.
Glad your Grandpa didn't become a POW.
Unfortunately America does not have an equivalent for every Japanese or European car made in the last 30 or 40 years.
I was thinking about today's market, although you're right that we don't have a GT-R or NSX equivalent.
Regarding the NSX, I suspect the upcoming Caddy ME will be similar (I hope).
Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I live in the Chicago suburbs(oakbrook) , and there are Teslas everywhere, In this area even all the soccer moms have the Tessa SUV .
I'm not sure why some car guys are opposed to the Tesla...it's a technological marvel.
A luxury car with driving costs on par with a gas-powered car that gets over 90 mpg!
That's revolutionary stuff IMO.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
:iagree

Today you can buy a 4 door electric powered sedan that will go 0-60 in 2.3 seconds - smoke the Corvette. Not sure why anyone would be against technology that makes the car quicker and as a bonus gives us better gas mileage.
First off it's 2.5 seconds, no one else has been able to replicate motor trends 2.3, tesla even says it's 2.5. Second, 0-60 is ALL tesla is good at, nothing else. After 60-80mph it just goes down hill from there. There are cars with far less power that will kill the p100d after 80 or from a roll. There are MANY cars that have a MUCH better power to weight ratio but with the tesla you can't just look at who has the better ratio. This is because the tesla does not have a second gear and it's electric only, so the power drops off something crazy the faster you go. So even cars that have a slightly less power to weight ratio will pull away at higher speeds because of the power fall off on the tesla. The power fall off can be fixed with a second gear but the tesla doesn't have that and even if they did you still have to account for the teslas, relatively speaking, lackluster power to weight ratio.

You also have the really low 155moh top speed which is a killer on any racing events longer than a 1/4 mile and on many tracks with high speed straights. Let's not even talk about cornering, handling, braking, or how long a charge will last at high power outputs because they are all laughable.

Last edited by theboom; 07-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:07 PM
theboom
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
The big reason its a one trick pony is its pure electric and just weighs WAY too much to be more. Now the question is would you accept a HYBRID vette? Say 700 from engine and another 100-125 power the front wheels for optimal acceleration but not so much battery that it adds tons of weight. For me it would be wicked if they can keep the weight under 3700-3750 lbs. I expect this to happen for the ME eventually.
Electric doesn't have to be a one truck pony it's just with current battery technology and how manufacturers are currently building electric cars, they are. The way to get around the huge falloff of acceleration after 80 or so is to add a second gear like rimac does. The reason more 2 speed transmissions aren't in electric cars is because manufacturers are focused on making daily driver cars where a trans doesn't make since. When they finally start building actual performance cars, we will see a second gear. But I agree the weight kills it in everything else. We need better batteries.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The Tesla does not compete with the Corvette in that market segment. If Tesla built a purpose built sports car I am sure it would smoke the Corvette. The thing to remember is that electric cars will be in your future like it or not. The days of the gasoline engine are numbered.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The Tesla does not compete with the Corvette in that market segment.
THIS.
It's silly to compare the 2.
The cars' missions are radically different...almost polar opposites really.
The thing to remember is that electric cars will be in your future like it or not. The days of the gasoline engine are numbered.
Either electric-assist (aka Hybrid) or full-on electric.
Each will have a part to play in the marketplace.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 PM
theboom
Instructor

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The Tesla does not compete with the Corvette in that market segment. If Tesla built a purpose built sports car I am sure it would smoke the Corvette. The thing to remember is that electric cars will be in your future like it or not. The days of the gasoline engine are numbered.
false, it would not smoke the corvette. A second gear would help with acceleration but you still have the weight issue of batteries. Take the rimac for example, it's got carbon everything and if it was gas would weight in the low 3k lbs, but it weighs 4K lbs. I do agree that electric will come, even if I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I just don't want it until the battery technology gets MUCH better.

Last edited by theboom; 07-21-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 PM
theboom
Instructor

THIS.
It's silly to compare the 2.
The cars' missions are radically different...almost polar opposites really.
I am well aware of this and I have never denied it. It is just a great annoyance to me when people say the model s will destroy everything and I have to point out that that is very false. It will destroy 99.99% of things 0-60 but that's it. But I understand that they are not built to compete in the slightest.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:47 PM
KnightIndustries
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1160 GM EV-1's that were built, were leased and most were reprocessed and then crushed.

GM's next adventure was the Volt and it hasn't been a big seller(way below GM's original 100,000 annual sales they dreamed up before the car went into production) and the ERL was a dismal failure, with unbelievable low sales. I wonder how many hundreds of millions(or even billions) have been squandered by GM on the Volt and the ERL? Maybe the GM 8 speed transmission would be a bit better transmission if some of that Volt and ERL money had been spent on it, as well as spending money to solve the C6 Z06's valve problem. Maybe GM wouldn't have gone into Bk if that EV money had been spent on making better ICE cars instead of EV's.

The Bolt hasn't gotten off to a great start either. They have managed to sell a measly 7592 of them for the first two quarters of 2017(average of 1,265 a month). That's horrible sales. It's their latest venture in the EV marketplace. That's not much to say for a 21 year experiment in EV's by GM.
It's about investing and developing the technology...you have to do it, and they put it in the platform they felt was most viable. Keep in mind, there were plenty of backdoor dealing with the Volt and a lot of push from washington to build that car.

The first EV was a good exercise but the market wasn't ready at that time. The car, in the market they served it to, was a success. They had liberal celebs getting arrested when they took those cars back...lol.

GM is invested and in a good position to implement the technology. I've spoken to several engineers who drive the Volt very frequently and some that have used them as program commuters for long term testing. They absolutely praise the car and how cheap it is to operate. I think the Volt just missed the mark with its initial pricing and what you got for the money versus a high mpg Chevy Cruze which cost a lot less and got great mpg.

Hybrid will find its way into a Corvette, I don't think there's a question about it and I think they are going to implement the hybrid system to run the supercharger, independent of the crankshaft. Would allow boost by gear, more mode selectable profiles that give varying mpg and power delivery, even a valet mode, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 AM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I am 100% not interested in anything hybrid or electric.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Drive_Sell_Win
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I am 100% not interested in anything hybrid or electric.
Don't like efficiency?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The 1160 GM EV-1's that were built, were leased and most were reprocessed and then crushed.

GM's next adventure was the Volt and it hasn't been a big seller(way below GM's original 100,000 annual sales they dreamed up before the car went into production) and the ERL was a dismal failure, with unbelievable low sales. I wonder how many hundreds of millions(or even billions) have been squandered by GM on the Volt and the ERL? Maybe the GM 8 speed transmission would be a bit better transmission if some of that Volt and ERL money had been spent on it, as well as spending money to solve the C6 Z06's valve problem. Maybe GM wouldn't have gone into Bk if that EV money had been spent on making better ICE cars instead of EV's.

The Bolt hasn't gotten off to a great start either. They have managed to sell a measly 7592 of them for the first two quarters of 2017(average of 1,265 a month). That's horrible sales. It's their latest venture in the EV marketplace. That's not much to say for a 21 year experiment in EV's by GM.
All these hybrids and pure electric cars are the result of Government pressure. Auto manufacturers are highly regulated and you don't want to get onto the wrong side of the Government. GM was also bailed by the Government and if the Government says build an electric car that will lose $8 billion, you do it.

And by Government I'm including Europe's, also. They are totally on board with green technology even at the expense of consumers and taxpayers.

Quick Reply: Should Corvette go the route of Mustang - Hybrid?